1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

The white one is a double domed sapphire crystal. You can see some of the bevel between the bezel and the edge of the crystal. The black one has a flat sapphire crystal with blue anti-reflective tint. I like the look of it better. It is more flush with the bezel insert. Did you replace the crystal gasket? On both of these I replaced the bezel too so it may not be a good comparison.

Does anyone have any junk mechanical watches laying around? I need to buy a few to practice taking them apart.

2. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Simply gorgeous mod--superclean!

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Ok. So I have been wavering lately....16570 polar explorer II or 2538.20 SMP "great white".
    Ive always loved the 40mm exp II but prices are now ~5-6K. While a nice great white can be had for 2.5-3k. Both are older models, white face, chronometer level GMT.

I just cant see the name "Rolex" being worth 2x the Omega.
    I need some watch advice from my fellow addicts....

Thoughts??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I have a 300m GMT and it was a "bargain" and I couldn't find a new steel bezel Rolex GMT at the time (they had switched over to the ceramic and I was too stupid to consider the Exp II). Great watch but it's worth less then I paid while the GMT would be worth more. As a watch to wear, use and abuse, the Omega.

Of the two you posted, I'd do the Exp II.

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I love the ExpII and am on the waiting list. I prefer the 42mm to the 40. Just a personal preference.

7. SteveThompson

I'd buy the Rolex, no question. I do like both of them.

8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I should have this beauty for sale next week. PM me if you're interested. Avg. Mkt Value on TRF is around 15.5K - I'll sell to a Wera member for 14.5K

Attached Files:

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Okay, there is a waiting list for the 42mm II? Man, I am way out of the loop on SS Rolexs anymore.

10. ChemGuy

Agghhhh. I know I know Rolex.....but damn thats a lot of money for a watch. And if Im honest with myself for that coin I would rather go 2nd gen Seamaster 300. Aggghh. So many watches so little money....

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

@ChemGuy If you want 3 time zone function, take the Omega. If you don't, take the Rolex.
    Of the two posted, I'd take the Rolex.

To my eye, there's something odd about the crown on the Omega.
    Just figured out it's because the crown is recessed into the case, not split, like in the Rolex.

12. ChemGuy

Sorry max price on the beeb is tree fiddy. :D

Nice watch BTW.

13. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Are you planning on keeping and building a collection or wear it for a while and then upgrade? Pretty good chance you'll lose $0 on the Rolex. Not sure what the Omega resale market is doing.

14. Otis

Otis Well-Known Member

So far I’m enjoying this one.

Attached Files:

Hooper and Jedb like this.
  15. ChemGuy

It would be to keep and wear.
    Yeah the Rolex could potentially go up, but i think the rolex market is over inflated.

The Omega is pretty level and they do go up or hold value, but not as much as the Rolex.

I was really hoping you ninnys would just say buy the Omega....Maybe Ill jump back into Rolex's with a EXP II then.

16. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

I love my Omegas. I do have to say though that I'm not a fan of the broad arrows on the hands of some models. This one isn't bad at all though. :)

17. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

The 'rona likely saved me many thousands of dollars. I wouldn't say this any place but here with others who might also have some discretionary income (I hate that 'disposable' crap). I had booked a weekend get-away trip to Chicago back in January to hit some of my favorite eateries and just pretty much hang out in one of my favorite cities. The thought had also been in the back of my mind to visit the Omega Boutique on Michigan Ave and maybe (probably) buy a Seamaster to replace the one that I gave my son. I really like the look of the newest 300Ms.

All of those plans have, of course, gone into the shitter and I really do feel awful for those who have been much more severely impacted than I have been. :(

18. SteveThompson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've started some online watchmaking classes. It's been fun. He has you start with a Chinese ETA 6497 clone movement. I managed to get it apart. Now things get more difficult. o_O

OGs750, Boman Forklift, Jedb and 2 others like this.
  19. Philip Mirgliotta

Philip Mirgliotta Well-Known Member

Steve, that's so cool. That definitely takes patience and dedication I'm sure.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Steve, that is pretty kick ass but for me, hells to the no. :crackup:

Parts are too small and I don't have the patience to do it right. I'd get pissed and bring out the hammer. I thought about doing a '007, watched a video on a dude doing one and just lost the drive.