1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another SuperMoto question

Discussion in 'General' started by icantslowdown, Mar 20, 2006.

1. icantslowdown

icantslowdown Well-Known Member

Since kickstarters have to be removed, how are you guys with SuperMotos starting your bikes? Not an issue for me since I have e-start on my WR, just curious.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You put the KS on, fire it up, pull the kicker and ride off.

3. icantslowdown

That's what I figured, just wanted to hear it from the boss :)

Thanks for the quick response.

4. gixxerfever

gixxerfever Well-Known Member

Correct me if i'm wrong here Mongo, but isn't it ok for motards to safety wire the KS' screw and silicone it for added protection? These things can get temparamental on ya when hot and if you are on the hot pit and stall then you are screwed... most of them are too heavy to jump start and with the high compression motors it is impossible to do so as well.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope, per the current rules that isn't okay.

If you're going to ride one you do need to learn to bumpstart it - ask the Vintage guys for hints :D

I may change the rule but for now the only exceptions are the purely press fit kickers that cannot be slipped off and on. \

6. gixxerfever

gixxerfever Well-Known Member

yeah on my tard the kick start is pressed on and have tried to bumb start it and have a better chance bump starting a ducati or a tl1000 than my tard!!! hahah :)

7. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

yup-same here-no way in hell i can sbump off my 650R

if you stall on the grid or after you run off the track your fvcked

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

bump starting a Tard is a waste of time. not letting it die is the bet bet. i constantly blip the throttle on mine. i even turn the idle up a bit, also have someone standing at pit wall with your kickstarter if possible.

9. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

Can you bump start a bike with a slipper clutch? Common sense tells me know, but then how do the MotoGP teams do it?

10. icantslowdown

I'm pretty sure that AHRMA allows you to keep your KS's, but the top has to be tethered so that it doesnt' come out and impale you in a crash. I'm assuming this is why the 'no KS' rule was created?

11. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

you mean a slipper on your "stock stock stock" bigbore CRF? :Poke:

the MotoGP bikes are prettymuch impossible to bump start. hence why they rarely rejoin the race once they are down. big singles are tough to bump over, they like to just lock up the tire.
    we should make Sean the designated bump start pilot.:D

12. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

i know they can't bump start them by hand, but don't they use motor rollers to get em started? Same principle.

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

the motor roller get it going alot faster than you can push it i think. also, Zuk uses a starter into the side of the bike on theirs.

14. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

agreed, i've helped start duc's that way.

but if it had a slipper, when you drop the clutch, wouldn't it just apply back-torque which would slip through the clutch then?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Probably, it's been aorund in WERA since all the racebikes had kickstarts. That's part of why I'm thinking about modifying or removing it altogether.

16. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

probably to a point, but maybe doesn't free wheel as much as you might think.

17. WebCrush

WebCrush Banned

prolly depends on how the clutch is setup. you can adust them to completely free wheel but they're a pain to launch off the line without toasting the clutch altogether.

i know they don't free wheel, but wasn't sure if it was enough to get the engine turned over, let alone fired up.

18. icantslowdown

depends how loose you have your slipper setup.

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

slipper clutch? obviously, it takes a hell of a lot more force to engage the slipper than can be applied by bump starting.

bump starting? i can bump my 426 in the dirt...just not in 1st gear, maybe not even in 2nd. it helps to have it up to temp first and good technique.

20. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

sean, you ought to release a bulletin stating if you decide to allow KS as long as they are safety wired. All I know is that if the old girl is hot and you get off track and stall it, you're outta luck.

Trying to bump start a Supermoto with slicks on grass or dirt is a pointless excercise.

Try and consider redoing that rule, please. If I decide to race mine, I'm going to slip the KS in my suit....:up: