1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Problem! Help Please!

Discussion in 'General' started by Lever, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

The entire bike is back together and ready to race...and the Lever curse strikes again...the engine is pinging...and pinging badly...the more throttle..the more pinging...please tell me this is something easy to fix:( The bike runs fine...except for the infernal racket...however, if it's a big problem the last thing i need to do is lock up the rear wheel on the straight

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

What's been done to the bike engine wise? What type of fuel are you running?

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Changed plugs yet?

Loose wire on the Power Commander? :D :Poke:

Fresh gas in the tank?

Details, Sir, details...

4. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

The carbs were jetted, but i had it running before and it didn't do this...the gas is a little old - i'd say 2 months, the oil was a little low, but had enough to suffice - the pinging got worse as the motor got hotter

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

6. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

i haven't chaged, the plugs but i don't think thats it because it didn't happen when i had her out 2 weeks ago and then it kinda all of a sudden happened this time

7. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

that doesn't help! :Poke:

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

You will do anything to get me over there won't you?

9. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

I should be leaving at 7pm tonight! Why doesn't this stupid bike work like it's supposed to!

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Got an descent fuel sitting around? If not, punch yourself in the nutZ and then go down and pick some up. If you can't get some VP then just get some premium (higher octane). Drain out the trash you have in there now and fill it up. See if that helps.

If it doesn't, than come back and ask your question again.

11. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

A pinging engine is bad. It's sure to be detected by sonar. And, if run that way for long, you can expect a torpedo up the aft.

:D :D :D

New gas in the tank?

12. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

And if it's a big problem with the bike...YES :D

13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

And change the plugs, too. Look for simple solutions first.

14. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

ok..i'm going to get some new gas...just please keep coming up with suggestions because the troubleshooting is crap and if that doesn't work..i'm screwed

15. Duc748SPS

Duc748SPS Banned

again....did you do any engine work....

on my duc i put in larger cams smaller base and head gasket.....
    it was just pinging (I mean JUST ping)a little and found out it was the valve just tapping a litting on the piston.....thank god just a little or BOOM...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2004
  16. LMcCurdy

LMcCurdy Antique

You have water in the rad? Does the motor heat up normally? or is it getting hot very quickly?

17. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, you're going to confuse him. :D

But Green, what's been done to the motor? Is it stock? Do you have monster cams in there? Did you punch yourself in the nutZ yet?

18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Plueeze! I'll bet money he put a hole in the PowerCommander, saftey wiring it!!Jeff are you a home, or working today?

19. Trev230EX

Trev230EX Put me in coach

The motor is stock, and I'm pretty sure it only has a slipon system with probably the biggest jet kit known to man:D

20. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Jeff, what're you talking about my man? Details details!

Are you running 93 octane?

Are you waiting 'til the bike is warm before you whack the throttle?

The jetting is way off in the midrange so that might be part of the noise you're hearing but it wouldn't sound like a ping

CAN YOU SEE OIL IN THE SIGHT GLASS??? It might be low on oil, remember it was a little low last night.