1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. This option is unacceptable. :D

Razr likes this.
  2. Oh shit now we are talking!

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seriously, with some tires and vehicles - no it's not enough.

4. On the Jaguar, “Comfort” is the default setting. Then you can go up to Dynamic (Jaguar’s equivalent to “Sport” on the Porsche).

Or, you can go down to “Eco mode”. That mode drastically reduces the total power available, throttle response, brake and steering sensitivity, etc. It completely neuters the car.

The Porsche doesn’t have that “down” option. You can go up to Sport, or Sport Plus, or Individual and customize it (or on the TGT if you are really feeling froggy, you can press the red “Sport Response” button in the middle and go full apeshit).

But there is no weaker option. In snow on the Jag I would put it in Eco mode. You can’t downgrade the performance in the Porsche like you can in the Jag.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

Gorilla George likes this.
  6. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I have known for a while now that OEM variant tires are different than replacement versions of said tire, but last year something kind of odd happened that reversed my thought on the differences.

A riding buddy bought a '20 KTM SD1290 R which came shod with Bridgestone S22's. Great tires IMO for the street. We ride moderately aggressive and it's a high torque bike plus my pal is over 225lbs without gear so there's lots of load on the tires for sure. Last summer he wore them out and swapped on replacement S22's as he loved em on the SD.

- OEM variant - 6800km's (4,000 miles) life before swapping em out and he claims they were super sticky - never an issue.
    - replacements - he put on before a week long road trip and on day 4 had to stop at a dealer and replace them after 3600km's (2700 miles) riding. Rear was gonzo and front 75%ish gone too - plus he swears they weren't as confidence inspiring.

Same tire pressures (checked daily - he's anal), same rider, and same bike of course.

I'd have assumed manufacturers would want a stickier variant to put on to help with bike comparo's not the opposite of what my friend experienced which for him was a less grippy tire and a VERY much shorter lived one.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Maybe, but it's the wrong color and there's no "01" on the welded shut doors...yet.

You missed out on this beauty.

No worries. The seller said he was gonna do a C6...but better. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

we have taken the ole Cayenne up into the mountains with snow and never had a problem on summer tires. avoided black ice... also did not drive like an asshat.

your offroad mode idea with big wheels/tires works until a certain speed, then it will level itself down again. you might need a module that overrides that, which i assume nobody will make.

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

I could go way into this but very simply if the OE tire and wheel engineers are driven by price/make bad decisions/have vehicle dynamic issues the OE tire could be a low mileage so so tire that handles the WAY they want it to. But if the tire company has the proper influence an OE tire can be very good. When I went to 20s on my 2WD F150 from 18s I choose an Audi (Q7?) OE Scorpion SUV tire and they are working very well. So don’t make generalizations that all OE tires suck, because they don’t. You have to do the research and make a good purchasing decision. And in Chris’s situation what’s Porsche’s intentions when they put an ultra-high performance summer tire with limited tread grooves and siping on that monster?

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What was on the F150 before the Scorpions? I'd switch to Scorpions, too.
    In my world, depending on the tire's dimensions, I might be reducing the rim size to gain sidewall. What do I want the vehicle to do for me and, if it's not gonna do it in OE form, how do I go about getting it to do what I want?

My comment about sucky OE tire fitment works when we're talking Chevy, Mazda or anything not worthy of being considered top shelf, mortgage the house and loot the kid's college fund.

I can only guess what Porsche's intentions are with Broome's car, but I'd say they'd want to put the best tire on that vehicle that they can find. That doesn't mean it's appropriate for the owner's use and, given at least four different tires listed as OE for the Cayenne T GT, it doesn't mean it's gonna come with the best of those four. The OE tire will be appropriate for the cause, but not necessarily appropriate for the vehicle's use as envisioned by the owner.

"Better" could also mean more appropriate for the actual usage vs the manufacturer's envisioned use. You have seen the 'Vette with the Nitto Ridgegrapplers, right? :D

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

@Gorilla George, I thought of you today when I was at the shortie’s school for her Halloween parade, and some bubba rolled up in a C6500 “pickup” with stacks and fucking 5’ tall tires…

Perhaps not quite up to your “look at me” standards, but close. ;) :crackup:

12. Ah shit that’s right. Now that you mention I remember reading something about that. It will only stay fully jacked up under a certain mph. I reckon they assume nobody will be going 90mph off-road. :D

13. :crackup:

The C6500, isn’t that the truck Ironhide transformed into?

Should have gotten a picture of it. I bet it was so badass. :D

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I wasn’t going to give the attention whore that which he so desperately needed. :crackup:

16. Wellillbedamned, they do make a box.

I’ve actually been reading about the Active Suspension and Drive Modes right now while waiting on this flight.

I think I will always select “Sport” mode by default because it will:
    1. Speed up gear changes
    2. Enable automatic throttle blips when downshifting
    3. Open exhaust bypass
    4. Disable auto stop/start

That’s all the stuff I would want anyway.

Chassis height remains at “Medium” when using Sport mode. It only drops the chassis height to the lowest setting when you select “Sport Plus”. I think Sport Plus mode would be too insane for normal everyday driving.

If I want the low ride height in Sport mode, I have to select it separately/manually (or configure it in the “Individual” setting).

17. PLEASE tell me the truck was black.

I want a black one of those just so I can put an AutoBot decal on it. :D

Saiyan66 likes this.
  18. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Nope, white with blue vinyl wrap graphics.

Didn’t look that closely, but I’m sure there were subliminal messages in the graphics saying “my penis is small”. :D

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  20. :crackup: :crackup: