1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another car thread. Wanting a sports car. Which one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, May 26, 2022.

1. I even flashed the ecu back to stock on it :)

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

3. 418

418 Expert #59

After trying to sell you a car that they completely screwed the pooch on a PPI, I wouldn't give them a dime of my money. That's like a $100K car isnt it? Fckin yikes!

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Alright, this has absolutely nothing to do with the original intent of this thread....Just got back from a 12 hour trek each way from PA to Lake Hartwell SC. When I started out I was thinking of taking the vette. Took the Grand Cherokee instead. I can still walk upright (sorta). My ass and my legs still hurt but I'm alive. I think I would've gotten stuck in the vette and needed a stick of dyn-o-mite to extract me......:eek:

5. Phl218

Phl218 .

More like a 130-40 k one

our CPO benz came with a messed up front subframe. Benz took over the $7k bill. Others would have never realized it

BigBird likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

No lay over?

7. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Ugh....duh!

C8 - NA 465 hp Starbucks getter

ZL1 - Supercharged, aero kitted 650hp track weapon

Color me shocked.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I think my surprise was more about a lightweight, supposedly good handling, two seat sports car got its ass handed to it by a four seat muscle car that prolly weighs 1000lbs more.
    The more powerful Shelby GT500 wasn't faster than either of 'em.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

@assjuice cyrus how you liking the new toy? Mine didn’t happen. He was working on it when we got there to drive it home. You could smell some gas in the garage but it was pushed into the driveway.

My buddies and I are chatting while looking over the car, and asking some questions. The owner was focused on making a new steel braided hose for the fuel system, it turns out.

We wait around for awhile and he goes to start it and fuel sprays everywhere, under high pressure. Leave for about 20 minutes so he can relax and work without us looking right at him and when we come back, still no bueno.

I decided to cancel the deal, I don’t need another project and as I asked him more about it, this was more common than I thought it would be.

He designed the whole thing, so he is way more knowledgeable than I am. He said, you do need to know cars, and be able to work on them. I feel like I should be able to do that. Then suggested, I not drive it to Laguna Seca if I wanted to make the event on time. Since the tickets are expensive and I wouldn’t want to miss anything.

My neighbor, the engineer that came with, commented to me, you would be working on that thing more than people work on English cars.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    BigBird and assjuice cyrus like this.
  10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Smart, now go get a Vette. :D

ClemsonsR6 and Boman Forklift like this.
  11. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The same goes for resto modded Land Rover Discoverys. After trying for 3 months to get my neighbor to cancel his order he had it almost 3 weeks...almost made it to his destination twice. He doesn't know a wrench from a tooth brush.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

I did sit in a GT4 with 29k miles at the Porsche dealer down the street where we looked at this car.

Nicely optioned carbon ceramic brakes, red stitching, black leather, red belts, red door pulls, carbon fiber buckets, just taken in late the night before and they were going to CPO it, new tires, 2 yr unlimited mileage warranty, etc.

If I had the extra coin not tied up in my business, I would probably have bought it. My wife really likes GT4’s too, so that makes that part easier. She would prefer we wait out the recession and I unfortunately agree.

Gino230 likes this.
  13. Venom51

Prices are stupid high at the moment even on the 2016s. I'd sit on my hands for a bit.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  14. Boman Forklift

You are right. I was surprised how low this was for a CPO, PCCB, carbon bucket alcantara seats with read stitching, red belts, etc. It was 99k at a dealer. Out here I haven’t seen any at a dealer below 105k in awhile.

Owned by a guy in his late 50’s to mid 60s they claim. He sold it to them because he is going kart racing again. Salesman didn’t think it was ever on the track, didn’t look like it to me, but who knows? It looked good enough to me I would be fine with buying one that had some track days on it. Tires had not been replaced yet and were made in 2017 and had a lot of tread and the edges looked good.

I’ve never driven the 2016 or the new one, but from what I’ve read about the engine sound and the looks, I prefer the 2016.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  15. Venom51

You get a little more HP and a little aero in the new one. Most everything else is the same. I'm good with all but the rear changes on the new one but I understand why the changes were made. You do get the more current PCM in the one as well but since I almost never turn the radio on it's not enough to get me to trade up. The new RS would be a bitchin track weapon but even it isn't so much better that I'd bother going after an allocation. Plus the centerlocks are a no go for me. I don't need to keep a 500 ft lbs torque wrench around just to take the tires off to clean the wheels.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Frankly, I think the deity of your choice was looking out for you. I was a little worried for you when I read that you were spending that kind of coin on a home-built project.

17. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Rob, what occurs when ya cancel a purchase? Regarding fees paid to BAT

18. Boman Forklift

I don’t know yet. I’ve sent a message to them telling them what happened and that I don’t want to lose my ability to still go onsite nor the fee.

Having said that I decided if they do punt me and keep the fee , I would rather lose $2777.75 fee and all rights to a site I really enjoy, versus going through with a purchase on a car the current owner/builder with weeks to prepare, couldn’t have running on the day I showed up to buy it.

19. Boman Forklift

Since you are already an owner I guess it is easier to get an allocation. I asked the local dealer when I first heard about them to get on the list and it went no where. The dealer in Carlsbad that I just spoke with, said their allocation of 8 are currently all sold and they were at least 100k over MSRP.

I’m not sure, even if I were a Multi, multi, millionaire that I could stomach that going rate. The car will already be $2-300 with Porsche silly options. I don’t even think you get 4 tires and an engine anymore with them, it is one of the 9,745 options you have to select.

20. Boman Forklift

Thanks man. My wife didn’t want me to do it, but knew I’ve been wanting some kind of fast or crazy car. She even asked will they give you a loan on a GT4 since it is a toy? I told her they will, but I don’t really want to owe on a toy. Now if I can’t write a check or partner with a friend and we split it and both write checks, I don’t really want to do it.

So I call her up that morning and said hey honey I’m driving the car home and it already broke down and I’m on the side of the road. She said, I told you it was a POS and I didn’t think you should get it.

I then told her I backed out and why. She said OMG this is the happiest day of my life. I then said, even better than our wedding day, and she busted a gut…….but I don’t remember her answering. Lolol

cBJr, BigBird, HPPT and 1 other person like this.