1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Yeah. If you are in the south where its warmer it can be done without too much cost. Up north if you wamt a plane you can use somewhat reliably to travel, now you are talking IFR and aircraft equipped with de ice equipment $$$$$

2. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I used to work in 135. Seemed at least once a trip with an old guy I the low time plebe had to save the day. Some were great. Some were great until they weren’t. Some needed to hang it up years ago. 65 is plenty.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

He was seen at dinner with Hillary just hours before he shot himself in the back of the head twice.

tl1098 likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

A couple of phrases come to mind:
    Time to spare - go by air
    This comes from the fact that if you fly by light plane..and even sometimes commercial jets...you will get stuck due to weather, mechanical, etc.

If it floats, fly's or F&*%S, its cheaper to rent it than own it.
    This one is pretty self explanatory....as owing any of these items can get $$$$$ real fast.

But from a practical standpoint...using a light plane to travel any reasonable distance is about 1/2 the time of driving, ballpark. That is with a plane that will cruise at ~140-150 mph. If you can get into a Mooney or Bonanza speed range that's a bit quicker you can do even better. Or on the experimental side, a vans RV 2 seat should cruise around 170-200 depending on model, engine, prop and how much fuel you want to burn. To really travel with minimal safety and reliability of schedule where you live you would need about 2 years steady training, for PP and Instrument rating and 120-150 hours total time, IMO.

JBraun likes this.
  6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I'm a curious person and really like learning skills so the journey is appealing. That said, when you say two years, how many hours per week would you expect I'd have to invest for that timeline?

7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the John McAfee death

"When you hear I committed suicide, just remember I did not"

His wife, now on the record saying he warned of this exact thing happening

I'd expect boeing stock to be a great buy in a short period of time.

BigBird and ducnut like this.
  8. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Did she travel by Illuminati piloted black helicopter?

9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

25k-30k to get your PPL and instrument is my guess.Prices are going up on fuel, rental and instructor fees. Try and get 2-3 lessons a week so you aren't relearning everything. I think getting the instrument is critical. You build time with an instructor while you still suck at flying but you learn how to fully navigate and fly the airspace. You'll get your IFR ticket and still be nervous flying into airspace that's unfamiliar. Shoot, I've yet to go to ORD and I know it'll be a shit show the first time I'm on the ground there.

I had a mooney that I could fly round trip to somewhere in the time it took to drive one way. It's cool but I don't think I'll get back into a GA plane unless it's a Aviat Husky.. I've always wanted to fly one of those.

JBraun, Gino230 and BigBird like this.
  10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

To be able to take your private pilot test you need a minimum of 40 hours....most people these days (more complex avionics...busy airspace in SD, etc) are about 50-60 hours. If you can budget (time and money) to fly 2-3-4 times per week I think that is the most efficient way to get to private ticket in a few months. If you fly less you spend more time re-learning what you did last lesson. Once you have you rent some on your own and fly locally a bit and then jump into Instrument training (IR). For your IR checkride you need so much cross country time (50 hours - a X country is flying more than 50nm away and landing so fly from SD to Riverside, Plam Springs, etc and get lunch and fly back) and then 40 hours of simulated instrument time with 15 hours being from and instructor.

You have to study and pass written exams for both of these courses as well.

The 2 year estimate is based on doing a private license written in maybe 6months or so...pretty steady flying...then taking a little break to just fly and then getting into IR written study...flying the hours for the X country and simulated IR time and instruction and basically just really learning how to fly, plan, manage things, and basically not die.

If you pay attention, get good instruction and dont be an idiot you can do this and be safe after a year or 2. Dont run out of fuel. Dont fly into clouds unless you know what you are doing and you have solved like 2/3 of GA accident problems.

You should at least do an intro flight at a school or 2. Its fun to fly around for 30 min and see what you think about it.

Just as an FYI in a Cessna 172 (not a fast plane) you can go from MYF to Big Bear....assuming the weather in the mountains is OK in maybe an 1:30 from wheels up to wheels down.

JBraun, Gino230 and BigBird like this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If you do the theory first at whatever pace works for you, get the written exam of the way, and can afford to take a month off work to fly (it was a lot less expensive back then), you could get pretty damn close to the finish line during that month. Weather in San Diego (that's where you are, right?) should greatly facilitate your ability to stick your schedule.

As others have said, the more often you can fly, the shorter (and less expensive) your training is going to be.

I enrolled into a full-time program and made it even shorter by scheduling two daily flights whenever possible, occasionally three to make up for stormy Florida afternoons. The chief instructor at the school told me at the start that my goal was unrealistic and that no one had ever completed the commercial/IFR/multi-engine in that timeframe. I finished two weeks before that, a few days after hurricane Andrew.

JBraun and ChemGuy like this.
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Coincidentally the track and pin system from airplanes is what we use in rigging applications on show biz. There, your completely worthless trivia of the day.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

IMG_2800.jpg

brex likes this.
  14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Flight attendant bumped the switch on the pilot seat, moving it forward on that New Zealand flight.
    Yet again a crew issue, not a Boeing issue.

Gino230 and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

16. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

No telling with the media. Could be a lav service door or something that inconsequential, happens quite often and makes zero difference to the airplane.

Photo and brex like this.
  17. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

It
    It matters to ME. The obvious thought is 'what else...'

18. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

20. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

I did, didn't see picture there?