1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Intentional act.

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Sure looks like it based on that data. Only other thing that makes sense is a stall/spin that was briefly recovered from followed by another stall by over correcting without altitude to get it fixed the second time.

3. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Would their pre-dive airspeed and altitude stability rule that out?

4. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

That data isn't shown. We have no idea what their airspeed was based on that pic.

5. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

The DFDR and DCVR will tell the true story. Everything else is pure speculation.

Anyone hear that they have been recovered?

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

No need. Apparently, it's already been determined in here that the pilots had full control of the airplane. So it's either incompetence or intentional. Either way, no need to investigate.

7. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

But, since China, will we ever know what really happened?

Lastest is they will invite US investigators in...but with visa, quarantine issues will the NTSB or Boeing send anyone?

One site said they had 3 pilots on the flight deck. One new guy was there to learn had...wait for it....556 hours.

Also reading they did find a piece of plane like 10kn from crash site so????

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

^^^ This

10. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

After I initially saw the video, I thought it had just gone straight down, but that Flight Radar image shows there was at least an effort to recover. Given the speed they had to be going in the initial descent, Gino's point about them causing an airframe failure in trying to recover, seems more plausible. Now it's just down to what caused the initial loss of altitude. Someone mentioned that Air France flight with the pitot tube issue that I think went down in the Southern Atlantic, which IIRC broke the tail off trying to maneuver. Seems Airbus is more prone to that, or does Boeing now have similar issues? Lastly, this was a 737-800NG? I know why the MAX needed MCAS, but it seems the engines on the NG are way far forward as well. Is there a big difference in engine type and configuration between the NG and MAX?

11. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Had to be a structural failure wouldn’t you think? Hopefully Boeing gets to look at the data. Airliners just don’t come anywhere close to a flight regime where you could lose control. The level of incompetence to do that would really be special. A single major failure or a sequence of smaller events.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

As far as I recall, that plane was perfectly flyable until it hit the water. They basically kept it in a stalled condition all the way down.

Photo and ChemGuy like this.
  13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Correct. AF447.

They had some pitot's that would ice up in flight and give bad readings. The guy that crashed it was pretty junior and held the side stick back all the way to water. Even though the other guy tried to lower the nose and recover from the stall.

Reading that narrative is a real head shaker.

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

That's both a long and short 1:52 to contemplate your demise.
    RIP.

15. Chango

Chango Something clever!

SpeedyTide likes this.
  16. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Maybe it was that East Coast flight back around 9/11? Wake turbulence, and tore the tail off?

17. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

The FO tore the tail off of that American 330 departing JFK. It wasn’t the turbulence.

Gino230 likes this.
  18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Sorry, what's "FO". ?

19. R Acree

R Acree Banned

First Officer
    Flying Object
    French Officer

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
  20. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

I guess what I was originally asking, was aren't some Airbus more susceptible to that kind of thing, than Boeing products? I thought 330 had a composite tail.