1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Last I'd read was a push back of the grounding to Feb 2020 at the earliest.

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

3. rwdfun

rwdfun

Anything to turn people against supporting the climate.

Didn't an earlier posted article discuss the reason for the new engine was to keep up with Airbus which implemented theirs without similar issues due to wing height?

What drove the change was pure economics. Fuel is a large cost to air carriers and they want more efficient planes to make more profits. They could care less about CO2 emissions other than it's a direct correlation to fuel economy.

Gino230 likes this.
  4. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

There is so much nuance to a situation like this. Trying to boil it down to one headline or even one short article is insulting.

wiggeywackyo, busa99 and joec like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Well that doesn't fit into our short-attention-span theater, though.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not the 737, but Boeing is planning to cut their 787 production starting later next year from 14 to 12 per month. Wonder if the MAX's bad press is having anything to do with it....explicitly or implicitly.

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/qua...eing-will-reduce-production-of-787-dreamliner

Its a shame too, I flew on a Dreamliner for the first time yesterday (787-10) en route to LAX and I have to say it definitely ranks up there with possibly my favorite plane I've flown on yet. The cabin is very comfortable inside and nearly as quite as the A380 I flew to Dubai earlier this year. I was VERY impressed with it.

BigBird likes this.
  7. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

According to this article, the trade war with China is to blame for the 787 production reduction. It doesn't feel good from the inside, either. I'm moderately secure, but there are a lot of local businesses who are second and third tier suppliers to Boeing who are affected by reduced production rates of any model. Any jobs lost impact local businesses, and reduced demand for parts means less work for mom and pop shops out here (and across the country).

To channel a little bit of Broome and buying oil based products, fly as much as possible and try to fly on lines that operate Boeing planes. Every seat you fill helps support the economy.

BigBird and Gino230 like this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Woooo Weeeeee the Boeing CEO is getting hammered on Capital Hill. :eek:
    Internal text and emails not reflecting well towards Boeing.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

lethal rollie.jpg

G 97 likes this.
  10. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Now Lethal Rog was a man who knew how to get things accomplished :beer:

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

12. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

14. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

15. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

16. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

For those in the know.....Is the beginning of the end for Boeing? It seems, from a layman perspective, that they have made zero progress on resolving this issue. I wouldn't invest a nickle with them and I assume that is a common feeling.

17. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Not in the know and I'd say heeeeeell no. They may have a rough patch but they aren't done. Too strategic of a company for one thing with and they have a lot of other products that are selling just fine that aren't' the Max. It'll hurt but their stock price doesn't seem to reflect any fear in their overall well being.

brex and ducnut like this.
  18. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I bought Boeing stock about 6 months into this ordeal. It's up significantly today.

19. G 97

G 97 Garth

pscook and ducnut like this.
  20. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The military programs can support one hell of a strong company, so don’t see Boeing going anywhere.

The recent spending announcement, by MY President, is probably what stimulated their stock prices.