1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not in the know, but I couldn't see that happening and turning Airbus into a monopoly. I don't think its in Airbus' best interests for it to happen either from what I remember reading. And they probably couldn't keep up with the capacity demands from all the airlines.

2. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I watched a short documentary somewhere a few months ago about this whole situation. Don't hold me to it 100 % because it's just from memory but the gist of it was Boeing basically got tricked into building the Max 8 by one of the big airlines. Boeing kinda knew the 737 was at the end of it development and was trying to decide between trying to cob a bigger engine on it vs. developing a new plane. Whatever airline it was wanted them to keep the 737 platform for 2 reasons, 737 is low to the ground so easier / faster to load luggage and didn't want to have to train all their pilots for a new plane. Before Boeing had made the decision the airline announced that they were placing an order for a bunch of the new Max 8's and Boeing went along with it rather than doing the new plane which they kinda knew was the right way to go.

3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I don't think that's logical since there is a 737 MAX9 and MAX10.

4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I found the video I watched. Just posted it in the Youtube thread, it was American airlines, comes up at about the 5 minute mark.

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I believe that there is also a LOT of difference in regulatory approvals for building an extension on an existing platform vs. a new platform all together.
    I think that was included in their desire to get the Max8 out.

Banditracer likes this.
  6. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

Indeed. AA placed a big Airbus and Boeing order and forced Boeing to shortcut a response to the A320 NEO.

Ultimately, the Max isn’t a bad airplane. It has some unique qualities, as does every transport jet I’ve ever flown. Combine those qualities with pilots making poor decisions and you know the outcome.

ducnut likes this.
  7. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Wish they could fix the issue. We booked direct flights southwest in August for Jan flights from Tampa to Denver. Because of so many being grounded we now have a layover with a stop in Pittsburgh. Yay.

8. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Y'all heard the new ad campaign? "Boeing, design by clowns, supervised by monkeys."

Damn Third World pilots are looking better every month.

scottn and sdg like this.
  10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I saw that this morning, the simulator pilots comments were pretty bad too, what a kick in the balls

11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

But, But, But, there's nothing wrong with the plane, I read it here. :) . Loved the comment from test pilots, "I wouldn't want my family to fly on a 737 Max"

12. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Ouch. Was Dern working at Boeing at that time?....

(...)

I've looked a bit but wouldn't mind seeing the full context of that email, that sentence is certainly damning but nowadays I take every thing with a grain of salt.

A bit like Yelp or book 'endorsements'....

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

This made me laugh!

@pickled egg Defend yourself or at the very what's left of your honor. :Poke:

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

So they located a few e-mails in a company of 35,000 that were derogatory....imagine that. I'm glad they didn't have e-mail when I was designing nuclear power plants...I'd be giving testimony regarding my opinions on some of management.:eek: Try herding 35,000 cats.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Right, it's all a conspiracy between Airbus and the Chinese.

16. SteveThompson

I think Clarence did it.

beechkingd and Robin172 like this.
  17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree with you completely on that. Even small companies always have some Negative Nancies that could be out in left field.

jksoft likes this.
  18. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I remember one of the line guys carved "flying coffin" onto the airplane data plate maintenance was not impressed. . I heard the shorts referred to as a "shit box" The dash-8 to "trash 8", metroliner to the "Texas sewer tube" The erj to a "jungle jet" Planes within the fleet to Junk or Hangar queens etc etc.

19. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I always preferred the name "San Antonio death tube".

20. SteveThompson

We used to call them the flying drain pipe.