1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Crazy For Considering Moving to Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jan 25, 2020.

1. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

To live - check out the South Bay beach areas: Redondo, Hermosa, Mahattan, and of course Palos Verdes (PV) is really nice if you have the income.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Hey if you have time maybe we can meet up? Sometimes my schedule is very flexible during the day.

On the 400 to 500k, if we made that much I would be giving my daughter the downstroke today and get her into her own house or condo out here.

I used to make good money when I was a kid, compared to national averages. In 1987, I was 22 years old and making 6 figures from software sales and living in inexpensive Texas. I’m guessing those dollars today are equivalent to 300-400k. Unfortunately, I’m not making the equivalent today.

Maybe I need to get a new job and change that?

Razr likes this.
  3. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I hear theres a construction company hiring

4. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Count me as one of the people leaving California for Texas. I just got done moving the wife out so she can start her new job and I will be gone in a couple months. I could go on a multi page rant, but I’ll try not to.
    To answer your question, YES. But, you have to do your research and do what you think is best for you. Visiting a place for a few days is much different than living there. The traffic, overcrowding, homeless, immigration problem, crime, over taxation, cost of living, over reaching government are all as bad or worse as what you hear. And, we have an asshole for a governor. Things are only getting worse here.
    I have a customer who moved from the west side of LA. She said it could take up to 2 hours to go 5 miles to the grocery store if she timed it wrong. I mention this because of the areas you mention.
    Best of luck with your decision. Just remember, there is a reason hundreds of thousand of people are fleeing this place despite the weather, beaches, mountains, entertainment.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    StaccatoFan and XFBO like this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

I don't see many households in CA grossing 400K-500K per year. That's like 1% territory.

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

i’m pretty sure 90% of the households in my area are making that much or more. Just depends on where you are.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

You're on this planet ONE time. Might as well step out on a limb.

8. Boman Forklift

I agree, that’s what I should consider moving to your neighborhood and getting a job.

9. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

For that kind of money I'd be king of the hill in my neighbor hood.

10. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Of course, but the big drawback is you couldn't have your four previous cars parked on your lawn....

:D

11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think you’d have good luck. Nobody seems to work here. I think they’re all lottery winners or bitcoin millionaires.

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Google says median household income in LA is $62K. :eek:

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

God damn. I can’t even comprehend that.

418 likes this.
  14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Razr likes this.
  15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That seems like a pretty good price, especially after my recent research.

16. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

yeah, that seems almost free to me. lol

17. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Wow rob linders, you are one hell of a nice guy, this world would be so much better with more people like yourself.
    My issue with California other than never being able to afford the cost of living there would be the bull crap gun control.
    Razr this sounds like a really cool opportunity for you and as long as you take all the advice already given in this thread you should be just fine with the move. I could not imagine 70 degree weather this time of year, I can’t stand the cold, I’ve never been to California or even Florida for that matter. The place I hope to someday retire would be the TN,Ga,Nc area the roads are just amazing. Ky isnt bad I suppose but still nothing like Tn/Ga.

StaccatoFan, Boman Forklift and Razr like this.
  18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

LA and San Diego are very different, but I'll share my $.02 as someone who relocated to socal recently from the midwest:

The honeymoon lasts about six months. It's easy to see the major drawbacks like cost of living and traffic, but that's not the stuff that gets to you. It's the little things, like not being able to pull into a gas station and take a leak because the bathrooms are on lockdown everywhere.

Stores are always out of everything because it sells too fast or the people stocking shelves at minimum wage don't give a shit, or both.

The homeless issue is tough for me. I live in a neighborhood where the median home price is $1M, but the police won't do anything to stop tweakers from sleeping in the park a block from my house.

Forget about owning a home. It's risky and doesn't make sense anymore. My house is worth about $1M, and my rent is about half what the out of pocket costs to own it would be.

In fairness, a lot of these issues would improve if I'd move inland. It's the price I pay to be able to walk out my front door and go surfing, which brings me to the pros:

Perfect weather is the obvious one.

Versatility. I chose San Diego because I can do all the things I love year-round. Two weeks ago I went surfing and snowboarding in the same day. My major hobbies are motorcycles, BJJ, surfing, climbing, and skydiving. Find me a better place to do any of that. I'll wait.

CA has more national parks than any other state, and they're all different. If you love the outdoors it's tough to beat.

I haven't raced in CA but it seems like there are opportunities abound. I wasn't impressed by the moto options honestly, I think we have better tracks in WI, but if you ride off road, there are trails everywhere.

Housing and necessities are expensive, but living tends not to be. Toys aren't really an option because you can't store them, so just think of rolling your toy budget into your housing budget. Most of what I do for fun is cheap or free.

Since you're not single you'll miss out on one of the biggest perks. :D

So basically I'm on the fence too. I really enjoy living in SD but it's not forever. I've been looking at property in the mountains of western Montana. I'm planning to spend a few more years in CA and suck everything I can from the experience and then start a new chapter.

19. Boman Forklift

I was lucky. Hired on as a programmer, and after I was there 18 months the owner and sales manager wanted me to try sales. I didn’t want to because my degree was computer Science and salesman are jerks.

The main owner who I would be helping program worked 7 days a week. When he told me I would be worth more to him as a salesman instead of a programmer, that’s all it took as I looked up to him.

I ended up being the #1 or #2 for a few years there, and we had between 5 and 15 salespeople. I don’t want to make it sound too amazing it was barely into 6 figures, don’t think I ever even crossed 120k, but I was proud of myself.

That’s when I bought myself a used 930 Turbo and my first house which was only 68k out there.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I just realized that I don't remember ever being in a gas station bathroom. :D