1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Crazy For Considering Moving to Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Where do you live and what do you do out here?

2. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

ok. On the back of some of the comments from others and my own I feel like I should qualify something.

it is ridiculously expensive to live the lifestyle here if you are just buying in. If you aren’t good at saving and get caught up “keeping up with the Jones” don’t move here. You’ll blast through savings and go broke quick.

it’s not beach days and Disney If you are serious about your career and family. It’s Sunday and I’m in NYC getting ready for early meetings tomorrow- and surfing the beeb. You can make a killing here but also spend it instantly.

In all honesty feel free to reach out I’m happy to share my thoughts and experiences from a guy that grew up on a farm and moved here at 22 years old 15 yrs ago

SGVRider and Razr like this.
  3. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

General contractor and rough framing contractor. The repeat business and referral business is a product of the quality of work I demand from myself, my employees and my subs. I am just a small company and I doubt there is any value without my being there. And, it would be hard to sell the 30 years of experience and knowledge to any Joe Blow and think they could keep it going.

4. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

The notion that only you can do your job isn’t healthy. Find someone who demands the same, delegate your role and let the business continue to make money for you.

SGVRider and YamahaRick like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Okay, I don’t know that industry, but do yourself a favor and poke around in bizben.com and see if there are other places like yours and what they are asking?

I can tell you what I learned about some of the ratios when I bought something. I looked at a lot of different businesses before pulling the trigger. I’ll message you my cell if you have any interest.

wsmc42 likes this.
  6. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

I wish it was that easy or I was that trusting of others. I tried running multiple crews when i was younger. It was alot more headaches for not much more money. It might be easier on a tract house level, but on the custom homes we typically work on, it was too much headache.

Edit: Admittedly, it is probably my OCD that makes it difficult for me to let others run work for me.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  7. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rob. I will try to do that. Looking ahead, where we are moving is booming. It was one of the factors for our final decision. In fact, the wife just sent me a local article from there about the shortage of construction workers there.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I’m dealing with one now that I wish you would’ve taken on! Guys that don’t live here have no idea what it’s like dealing with contractors. The guy I hired to do my interior guy was insanely good. Finished ahead of time and his work is great - but I paid for it. The guy that is finally completing my outside job is 4 months behind schedule and what a different experience.

what’s funny is the guy that did my interior said the same thing you did. Either gotta become massive and ruthless or be a complete ding dong and take on too much work and blow smoke ip people’s asses.

wsmc42 likes this.
  9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

That's exactly where I was, doing masonry on high end custom homes for 15 years, then scaled it back the last 10 years and specialized in outdoor kitchens, and backyard projects. I'd like to work my brain and not my brawn so much, pay me for what I know and can manage. I've gone from 12 employees to one, and felt better after each employee left.

I have thought a lot about this, and appreciate all the info many have provided. The beed really has a lot of cool folks, some even willing to house a stranger....that's freaking awesome! I have an offer to work out there for 4-8 weeks, pretty good pay, and see if they like me, and I like them, the city, and the culture. I can't really go wrong, I'm usually sitting at home during the winter off work anyway.

beac83 and Boman Forklift like this.
  10. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Pasadena. I work in business intelligence / analytics. I just took a new job at a financial institution with a very new BI initiative. I decided to leave my more familiar verticals because of the wide geographic distribution amd general diversity of good sized financial services companies. I've looked at the market and there are several metros where I can earn similar money at a lower cost of living. International is always an option with financial services as well. It's also where the money is at!

11. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Nothing against you SGVRider, but I am so glad I don't have to put up with that BS corporate-speak anymore. Don't worry, I'll apply a hard stop to my comments at this time.

12. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Razr, sounds like we have similar stories. One to three Good employees in our industry is alot better and easier stress level than herding cats. Where I am going, I plan to see if I can use my experience and my brain to run work for someone. I'm close to 50 and I need to stop putting on the nail bags and working so hard.

Sounds like you have a great way to come out and give it a go here. I'm sure the change will make it fun and interesting for a while. I hope it all works out for the best.

Razr likes this.
  13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Thank you.

14. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Ya probably know my brother...Brian. drives a mbz300 wagon/71 Continental Irish/Barney/...Cook that surfs sunset cliffs. Ya know Rich (mayor of Ob) ?

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

If he surfs the cliffs I’m sure I’ve seen him in the water, and I do notice a 70’s conti out there from time to time.
    Never met Rich but I know of him. My girlfriends hair stylist is on half of the “town planning commissions” (pretty sure they’re all unofficial), so she knows everybody.

It’s a weird town for sure. Fun fact: I visited there for the first time in ‘09, and was smitten by the place. So much so that I made an offer on a house for $300k but couldn’t secure financing. Would have been a nice return over 10 years!

You in SD or further north?

16. j cal

j cal Well-Known Member

My sister lives in Playa Vista, visited many times.

I'd only live there if I could afford a large enough backyard for my dogs to run

17. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

I'm stuck in the midwest too so I can relate. I came really really close to moving to Nevada and California a few times in my mid/late 20s, but never followed thru. Now I have roots in SE Michigan and won't be able to move there for at least a decade.

If all the stuff in your life is lined up for the move right now, than why not do it? You can always move back if it sucks.

Razr likes this.
  18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Carpetbagger :Poke:
    I could show you pictures of the cliffs from the pier to Pescadero beach (RIP) and you probably wouldn't believe it.

(California sucks. Enter with caution.)

Newsshooter likes this.
  19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I can only be a carpetbagger if I'm taking advantage of the local population, and I'm quite sure it's the opposite. :D

I also have WI plates so the hope is my OB sticker stops me from getting my windshield waxed. Again.

20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Thats a muther effer to clean off too, isnt it?