1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I Crazy For Considering Moving to Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'General' started by Razr, Jan 25, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

LA traffic is unbelievably horrible. You really need to do your homework and pick where you will live, or you'll be in a commuter nightmare.

The Great One, j cal, wsmc42 and 2 others like this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

There is a reason the monkey often goes out on the limb...that's where the fruit is. Take the chance. If it works and you come out ahead then good for you. If it doesn't the wheels on your automobiles turn in both directions. You can always go back.

j cal and Boman Forklift like this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

WOW....the beeb generosity of people still amazes me. It's amazing that someone would consider letting a stranger stay with them, I would do the same thing for most people on here, except Metalhead :crackup:

It will be just me for 6-8 weeks at first. My wife is a teacher and contracted till the end of May, my daughter ends school mid May. If it all works out, their move would be in the summer. The company has given me a 3k a month allowance for a place and a car. If I officially go to work there they will supply me a company car.

I can stay with you, save the 3k, and we can go snowmobiling on a long weekend!

Phl218, Boman Forklift and L8RSK8R like this.
  4. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Forget the traffic.
    Make the cheese, accrue value in your home purchase over 10 years and retire like a champ.

And yes, Rob is the kindest guy one could meet.

Scotty87 and Razr like this.
  5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I found that out quickly. That's why Pasadena seemed like a good commute to work. Their office is 18 miles away, all interstate, took me about 30-40 minutes to get there. I would rather pay more for a house and have a shorter commute.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'm even considering keeping my home here and renting it out, and have a place to come back to if needed.

Phl218 likes this.
  7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Is the truck packed yet?
    Sounds like a massive win-win for you and the family. Think about how your daughter will be set having “x” years at a major LA hospital before moving to a small town.

Razr and Boman Forklift like this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That is what I would suggest. Still have my first place I ever bought in Texas. It was 8k from being paid off,and I sucked out all the equity in 2013 to help with a down payment and buy my commercial building.

Deal on the snowmobiling. That’s what you should do, pocket the 3k for awhile and live ghetto style out of my trailer!!!

Razr likes this.
  9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I didn't even ask because I assumed it was part of the plan.

Razr and Banditracer like this.
  10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I blew through the last couple pages so if it's been asked forgive me

Is the new gig stable for a couple years? I'd hate to upend my life only for the company or my position to get axed 6 months later. Maybe get a contract for x amount of years with a package on paper if they terminate or shutter eairly.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. Boman Forklift

That’s the weather tax, I’ve been paying it for 30 years and it beats the hell out of living in Illinois. I hate cold weather, and I knew I had to get out while in high school.

I remember my second trip to California I came around Thanksgiving and when I left Illinois it was cold as heck with snow on the ground. I landed at John Wayne and my buddy who pick me up was wearing a T-shirt and shorts. I asked him if it was always this nice, and he said pretty much!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    JBraun, Steeltoe and Razr like this.
  12. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

What kind of people in this industry are you going to be interacting with?
    We did an airport project in CA last year and over ran the budget by alot...alot. A large part was the customers inability to make a decision because they,as group, wanted to make sure no one got offended( their word) and that we were sensitive (again, their word) to how the project executed. They changed requirements part way thru which is partly our fault for not pushing back but we were also trying to be "sensitive" and at the same time trying to keep things on schedule. We also had to funnel the contract thru an in state business that provided health insurance to same sex couples as our business does not offer that insurance and that was a contract requirement.

13. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I think it's a stable company, it's been in their family for 50 years, he is in his early 40s, says he's been in charge for 15 years. They claim to have 3-4 months of work waiting on them, and a constant flow of repeat and referral customers. I like you contract point.

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

He says my ability to interact with employees, contractors, developers, homeowners, and business owners is what he says puts me above the other 10 candidates on his list. Some candidates have management skills, but no actual trade skills, some have trade skills but not much management skills. I think I have it all, and so does he. I've ran my own business for 25 years. I can get in the trenches with the workers if needed, then meet the homeowner or business owner and not get overwhelmed by their income or status. I think I would still like to do some of the physical work, I'm very good at it, and I can probably teach their guys a few tricks of the trade. I'm not easily intimidated. They recently finished a massive backyard project for Al Pacino.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Get whatever severance you're comfortable with negotiated into your agreement, and then get it written in that there's treble damages if not paid by a certain time. The risk with an individual owner is that s/he is judge/jury/executioner, and depending on what type of person they are and how much of the "real" world they've seen, that can be a really problematic thing.

The risk of this person defaulting on your severance if they're the one who fired you is quite high.

16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

But in regards to your original question - yes, it's a no-brainer assuming you've got your downside covered.

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Look up Cortez in LA...he's got the best deal on white ribbed tank tops.

Razr likes this.
  18. Boman Forklift

I am 100% serious on letting you stay for awhile if it helps. I will PM you my addresses so you can key them into google and look at the distances. Google has a feature where you can put in certain start times to get an idea.

Next week you could also key the address into Google maps on your phone or the PC and get live updates on how long the commute will be. Believe it or not Google maps is amazingly accurate with the time estimates out here

Razr likes this.
  19. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Sounds like you want to go and its definitely better weather than the midwest.

Just really do the math on your TAKE HOME pay vs living costs. And 3x is great if your already making like 90-120K a year. If your making 50-60k 3x means youll be lower middle lass in LA. Seriously.

Even if you downsize housing compared to the midwest or south it takes a ton of $$$ to have a decent house in a decent area. The state taxes and fees on everything will eat into your $$ more. Sales tax in LA county is over 10%.

And if you are working on the north side of LA...well thats where its really pricey to live. And living farther out and driving in...well lets just say your not the first person to think of that. So that type of commute can add 30-90 minutes. depending on far you are going. Living over the hill in the valley is cheaper...but that driver over the 405...ugh.

I am actually going to be out that way in early february for a conference in Pasadena. I am lokoing forward to coming back...but also not since i have a bit of driving to do.

If you and your wife can gross 400-500K you can live there and have nice house and experience. Thats what it would take for me to move back.

Good luck

j cal, wsmc42 and Razr like this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .

“Humble brag” is what I think it’s called now.

congrats and do it

you will always regret the things most that you haven’t even tried

this is why I’m here in the states since 9 years now