1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AHRMA Next Gen 2

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by yamatr3, Oct 21, 2017.

1. yamatr3

yamatr3 Well-Known Member

The rules were written to include bikes that were raced in the AMA Superbike class. Even thought he 748 is a middle weight bike, it is only because of the CC's of the bike. The chassis and frame etc are the same as the 916 etc, this cannot be said for the Japanese middleweight bikes. AHRMA is not ready to do a 600CC class and may never do one. They were trying to be inclusive for the Ducati 748 because it is so similar. I will bet you if we left them out, people would be complaining about that.

As for the cc limit of 996, there were several kits at the time for the 748 that you could buy. It was easier to just put a limit on that bike of 996 rather than list each kit that was once available.

2. JSR29

JSR29 Member

"AHRMA’s mission with this class is to recreate and preserve the look and feel of this popular era of U.S. Superbike racing."

Which is not the same thing as creating a set of rules defining a contempory racing class. I know little about the non-Ducatis on the approved list, other than racing against them back in the day, but the approved Ducatis stop with Desmoquattro 2000 season bikes and the other Makes list includes bikes that were first raced in 2000 so I guess that makes sense.

Like I said, I don't know alot about the non-ducati's on the list but I think all the other bikes, except than the GSXR maybe, only came as 750's with no other displacement in the same frame. The rules are clumsy but recognize the reality that a 748 frame is the same as a 916 is the same as a 996. If they had written the approved ducati list with "Ducati Desmoquatto Type Engines only with displacement 851-996cc" it would have been simple, clear and got done what I think was the intention.

I have bikes (Ducati) that fit in Next Gen 1 & 2 so I hope they run them in seperate races but probably not.

3. yamatr3

I understand what you are saying, but they wanted to be very specific. They did to not want to have the problems like they did in Next Gen 1 with the Ducati rules. They wanted everything spelled out. The huge advantage the Ducati's had in Next Gen 1 ran many racers off. Hopefully these guys will come back.

If enough people register for Next Gen 1 and 2, I'm sure Cindy will split up the classes. We have power in numbers. If only two people register for both, I'm sure it will not be split up.

I have a bike ready for Next generation 2 and am working on my Next Generation 1 bike. Hopefully I will have the Next Gen 1 bike ready for Savannah.

4. JSR29

JSR29 Member

Heck, the huge advantage that certain Ducatis had ran other Ducatis off!

5. yamatr3

LOL, you are correct there too!

6. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

So again what size is too small for a 748 to run? I an put a 853 kit in which is the only one available today! Will it be legal?
    Time will tell but the guys who ran there Ducati's in gen one, will move to Gen two so I think gen 0ne will be the short field,
    Gen two stands to be the bigger more popular class.

7. yamatr3

YES! You have to at least have a larger bore to be legal with a 748. Technically, a stock bike is not legal. As someone mentioned above, just go 2mm over on the pistons and you are legal.

I have to agree with you there, but I will have a bike for both classes.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm lost as to how that makes sense - did I miss the reasoning for it? They worried about a stock 748 being too slow?

9. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

Seems to me they don't want to leave room for the allow 600's argument.Or maybe they think there is a grid worth of old pro thunder bikes ready to show up,lol.

10. Jeff McKinney

In my opinion,some v7 mw guys showing up,if allowed,would wreck hell with their make superbike great again plan.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I think that their CC rule is silly for that... I think it should be a big fat heavy old Superbike... No middle weights.. No lightweights ect... Hell they should have a 500lb wet limit to boot... I am looking forward to running this class but I already know Burns is gonna smoke my ass on his Yamaha... Still my favorite carrot to chase though...

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah okay, so they want it to be the superbikes of the era and nothing else. Not how I think about racing but I get it for AHRMA.

13. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Got the Motor in Number 2 this weekend...... Need a Penske from Santa....

[​IMG]

14. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Don't we all . . . .

Cheers,
    Dave

15. Harry V. III

Harry V. III Well-Known Member

I would love to race a 748 and get protested for a motor that is cheater for being too small.

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  16. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Yup... that's how I would approach it, or just go 1 mm over,.....hard to compete against big money, and that's always been the problem.....

17. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

On a side note, Diamond Dave Rutherford and I are each building V4 bikes to kick Harry Vanderlindengerbersteins ass in WERA and AHRMA. Hey Mongo, Dave and I want to know where most people hide the nitrous bottles on these bikes. With the full faired bikes it is much easier but this naked KZ 550 is tricky. Figured I'm already giving HV 85 pounds. LOL

18. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Dang...If v-4 is going be fun again.....I'll get the old girl back together....if all operations go well .......

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Seal the frame and use it.

20. Jeff McKinney

Let the CB and KZ 650's in!