1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

acceptable commute time?

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid: 'bout as long as is takes me to walk across the road to the shop.

2. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Holy cow! That's insane! I have no idea how you can do that, it makes me anxious just reading your story.

So I just built a new house my commute went from 10 to 30 minutes, but it's so worth it because I get out of the shithole city so 20 extra minutes is an acceptable tradeoff for a quality of life upgrade. 30 minutes is my outer limit, definitely can't do more than that long term. I'm starting the podcast thing and looking for a fun commuter car, might as well make the most of it.

Kolbe and Phl218 like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

No matter the commute, a shitty car makes it worse. Before i had the truck (which i love) the wife and i swapped cars for her to have a safer car with the baby (cayenne). Which put
    Me in the MK 5 rabbit. Which started to suck after about a week despite the better gas mileage.

Co-worker dumped his civic-si for a tundra and hasn’t complained since.

I guess i could do an hour commute in an S-class...

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

That's a lot of "very", enough to move the family a bit closer? If this is a significant career jump, it might be worth it to make the drive for awhile. I tend to agree with the saying that professionals have to go where the opportunities are.

5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

6. brex

brex Well-Known Member

7. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

allwrite then

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You have my sympathy. You're too old for that shit.

9. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

My commute is about 35 minutes in the mornings, about 40 in the afternoon. I wouldn’t dream of moving closer. My walk to my boat is 30 seconds and the beach 4-5 minutes.

10. HoyaXC07

HoyaXC07 Well-Known Member

I had a ridiculous commute for six months back in college working an internship.

I had to drive from Dahlonega to Stone Mountain and back three days a week. I either had to leave an extra hour early to beat traffic or deal with the worst of Atlantas traffic on GA 400 and 285.

I was fortunate I got extra hours for commute time; that was a brutal drive.

boxcrash likes this.
  11. Red Fox Racing

Red Fox Racing Age is only a number

1:58, it's not bad until I get to Columbus, GA, from there to ATL turns into a version of Mad Max for the rest of the drive. The good news is I only make that drive 7-8 times per month. Seems like 30 mins or less if very doable. If you have the option of a train or some other way to let someone else drive, jump on it!

12. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Back in the late 1990's, my commute was South Boston, Va, to Cary, NC, one hour forty-five minutes each way.

3000 mile oil change every other week.

Weapon of choice was a POS Dodge D50 4X4 that I added a half-quart of oil to each morning on arrival in Cary.

13. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

Where in metro Detroit? I commuted from Rochester Hills to Wixom for 2-1/2 years. About 50 minutes in and nearly an hour and a half home. Really sucked to be honest. I moved the family to Holly and now it's about 45 minutes each way, which I don't mind actually.

It gives me time to mentally prepare for the day going in and time to decompress on my drive home before I interact with my family. I have listened to over 80 Audible books averaging about 18 hours in length each. lol

14. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

That is very true too. Comfortable CLEAN car with good stereo is a must for long commutes.
    Why did you even do oil changes? Every couple weeks you would have replaced all of the oil in the engne.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Mine is about 40 minutes on average. Throw in snow and it can easily surpass an hour and a half. I live out in the country a bit, but have decently major routes near me and my drive includes 15 miles of a wildlife area. The rest is interstate. I set my cruise and go. I wish i had moved farther out though. 15 more minutes would have gotten me more, and near less people.

16. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

My last s10 was like that. Drove it for 2 years ~60k km, never changed the oil once, just added a qt a week. Thing was a piece of shit, but was quick and fun to throw around on bald tires (reg cab, short box, 2wd, 4.3, 5spd). Rode like a lumber wagon though.

Re audio books. I tried back when I had the 1:30 commute but couldn't get into it. wife likes them, and does the podcast thing. I need music. I need to drum on the wheel, sing, and put my foot into it when a good song comes on (kickstart my heart is responsible for 2 speeding tickets).

17. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

We have a 26 mile commute in the Bay Area. We have to cross the bay so we have a toll as well. Morning drive (5am) is 30 minutes. Afternoon (3pm) is 40 on a holiday to 1:15 on a busy day. Forget leaving at 7am/5pm. Where are you commuting?

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Go.....unless you think there is a high chance they will can you and you can't get your job back? That's 14,560 raise, plus no more Union BS or union dues!!!

Plus if you tell the existing place you have an offer for an additional $7, who knows they may match it!!

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My son is moving to Midtown Manhattan in a few weeks. I think he is working off 53rd and Park. He put together two guys and himself off some roomate connection website and they are moving into a 3 bedroom apartment for $4900 per month. He won't even need to get on the subway and it is a 5 minute walk, so he is pretty excited.

I imagine once you are an older adult, living in the city or dealing with that commute daily would be pretty difficult.

code3ryder and beac83 like this.
  20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Hell, I'm just too old.