1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

acceptable commute time?

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Jul 19, 2018.

1. My cutoff point is 2 days. If it takes me longer than 2 days to get to work, fuck that. :D

But as far as your scenario, for me the cutoff point would be 20min. If at all possible, I wouldn't have a job where I had to drive more than 20min to work every day...and even that 20min would suck.

An hour+? No way in hell.

With that long of a trip, it could be worse (like you said). And since you have to plan for the worst to make sure you are at work on time, it means for a normal 8-5 job, you would have to be leaving the house at 600-615am. Then you wouldn't get home till 630pm. By the time you shower and eat, you will only have 1-2hrs to chill because you will have to get up at 430-5am to get ready to do it all over again.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  2. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

45 minutes max.
    Mine’s 30 minutes now, which is good. Not so close that I get called every 5 minutes to come fix something, not too far that I lose a lot of life-time.
    Thirty minutes is also a good amount of time to get your mind into your workday, or decompress for home as mentioned above.
    My wife’s is an hour each way, but she starts getting paid as soon as she gets in the truck. There’s some rumbling that it might change, and she’s looking into other options.

3. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

mine is 30 min on good days, an hour on bad. Traffic like NESBA Sucks!!!!!!!!!!

TurboBlew likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm 20 minutes tops. But I don't have the traffic like many of you do. When I negotiated all the items on my last job, working hours was one of the most important ( I realize a lot of you can't do this because of the type of job). I start at 6:30 (no traffic), take lunch at 11 (no crowd) and leave at 3:30 (no traffic).

5. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My commute is one hour and 15 minutes. My previous commute was 9 minutes. You really have to look at a couple things:

1. Am I driving or sitting in traffic
    2. Can I get anything accomplished while driving
    3. Does my level of compensation cover the commute cost

My drive is all interstate so I am fine with it. I bought a used 3 series that gets 30 plus MPG's so my fuel is 50 bucks for the week. I spent more than that with my truck.
    For me, I am on the phone 90% of my commute. Sometimes I pull into my driveway and will sit for another 10 minutes finishing the call. No problem for me.
    Simply put, yeah. I just wish I had the time to get back on a racebike. Maybe next year. :(

6. :stupid:

If we are talking about a $5-8k per month raise, that would be a different story. Anything is tolerable for the right kind of pay increase.

dantheman likes this.
  7. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I used to commute 50 odd miles from Rockford, IL into Hoffman Estates, IL. I was lucky enough to carpool with 4 other guys, so it didn’t become a major drag until I hit the ten year mark. If I had to do it by myself, I’d have found somewhere else to work inside of 36 months.

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Long commute is more time to listen to my fav podcasts. No problem. I got to where I look forward to the drive just to catch up :confused:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  9. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

1hr here, and if I ride, its about 1.5 hours home, about 1-1 15 min to work, cause I take all curvy back roads that actually feels like I get to take a short ride, as if it was a short Saturday ride..but to work...and even better home from, work since I do not "have" to be at my desk by a certain time.

But yeah 1-1.5 hours is about max for me

I get up at 4am to get ready to leave. I have been driving long distances to work for 20 years now at least. So I am use to it, 2 hours of my life are gone commuting each day...but I also paid $40k-100+k less, for a house to gain 15 minutes of driving for less savings on the house, or maybe 30 minutes gain on commute to save $100k or more plus on the cost of a house.

Plus I live in a county where you can fart without having a noise ordinance served on you..let alone think about firing up a dirtbike or a 2 smoker with no tags and run it around some of the back roads without being on the news like your OJ running down the 405...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    K51000 likes this.
  10. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

Also, as an old-timer, I look onto the future. Imagine that same commute in 10 years. How much sprawl, construction, population increase, etc. is likely along the route?

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What's your "commute" when you're in-country? How does that change when you average in the trip from the US?

12. My apartment is about 300 yards from the office. So it all depends on if I want to walk, ride my bike, or have the driver take me (which depends on the weather and/or if I did legs the day before).
    When im offshore, there is no commute.

The "commute" only adds an additional 3-5min or so to my work day.

There is no sense in trying to make the math work out to compare my job to a normal 8-5 job. Even though I am out of the country half the year, I probably still get more time at home than most people. When I am home, I am home with no commitments or responsibilities. People that work 5-6 days a week might only get 2-4hrs a day to do things, hangout with family, etc. When I am home, I get 18hrs every day to do whatever I want.

boxcrash likes this.
  13. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

You obviously don't commute in the Washington DC area where rush "hour" starts around 6AM and goes until around 9:30. Then the streets are crowded for lunch from 11-1:30 and traffic home starts picking up around 2:30 and goes until 7ish . Fridays in the summer "evening" rush hour starts by noon.

14. Hyperdyne

I've done LA (405), Boston, and several other major cities. DC and LA are just stupid. I laughed it off when staff started requesting a telecommute day in the Cali offices a few years ago. After a couple trips, I caved.

15. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I'm at 15 minutes but I'm moving next month and it will be down to 2 minutes, other than liking the area I also love the idea of not having any commute.

My 15 minutes would be fine but it's interstate and I like to do 80-90 and most days there's a bunch of cars in my way and I usually get way too pissed and stressed out sitting behind them or making dumb moves to get around them. A one mile back road is going to be awesome.

I can't even imagine over an hour each way every day, fuck all that.

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I seldom bitch about traffic in little ole Louisville. I have no clue how you all do it.

17. Hyperdyne

I had an office about 100 yds from Slugger field. My favorite place :) They have really done some nice things with Market Street since I left.

rd400racer likes this.
  18. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

It's Michigan.. theres perpetual construction.

If it makes any difference its an executive position and should compensate very very very well. We shall see.

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I work from home. I love my 35 foot commute to my "office". :D
    However my wife drives 8 miles in 30 to 40 minutes. Longer if you have a accident on the bridge or bad weather. Sometimes I drive her to the metro and pick her up after work on those days. Her drive is almost all interstate creeping along at an average 15 mph. Sometimes she works late just to avoid the traffic coming home. The HOV lanes open up to non-HOV at 6PM, but that will end soon as they are going to start charging tolls for non-HOV users next year no matter what the hours. I am thinking her commute will get more expensive, but possibly faster.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

You get a chauffeur to drive you 300 yards?! :bow: Does that even leave you enough time to spread some Grey Poupon on your sandwich?:crackup:

rd49, Steeltoe and 2blueYam like this.