1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

acceptable commute time?

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Jul 19, 2018.

1. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

I've been @ 45 minutes for over 10 years. I've listened to hundreds of great audio books, and it's a good wake up / decompression. The drive is all 2-lane country roads, no traffic.

I recently got another office that's a 15 min commute. Obviously I like being closer to home, but I do miss the relaxation time a bit.

boxcrash likes this.
  2. :crackup:

He isn't my chauffeur, I sometimes sit in the front seat, damnit. :D

3. boxcrash

boxcrash Loading.....Please Wait

Right cause then you invest that extra every month or squirrel it away somewhere with some interest, then in 5-10 years you retire selling pet rocks on eBay for a little extra supplemental income and live the dream :)

4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Be careful...

[​IMG]

Steeltoe likes this.
  5. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

Presently, I'm about 15 minutes from work on a normal day. With this being summer, and the kids in day camps, takes almost an hour each way to make all the stops.
    Most of my life I had around 45 minute commutes each way and that never bothered me. Had a commute similar to what you're looking at for about a year and a half, and while it didn't bother me at first, it eventually added up. I'd never do it again, unless of course I had to. Wouldn't even consider it, again unless I had to, with little kids at home.

6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Anywhere from 25-45 minutes for me, shift depending. If the house and area are worth it, do it. When im not at work, being in another state far away from my jurisdiction is like being at a vacation home. Living where i worked was too much.

K51000 likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

[​IMG]

Boman Forklift and Ducti89 like this.
  8. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

When I lived outside DC I had a 80 minute commute. IT SUCKED! I quit and moved. Ultimately I still had a 30 minute drive in order to live way out in the country...still sucked but not so bad as there was no traffic and the roads were curvy. Now I don't even like having to go 10 minutes into town for gas....:mad:

K51000 likes this.
  9. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

I don't think I could ever commute again after working from home for 6 years.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

There's just something indescribable about taking a conference call in your birthday suit.. :)

Phl218 likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Good. Let's keep it this way and not try to describe it. :D

Boman Forklift and beac83 like this.
  12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

My commute is 48 miles each way. If there is not traffic I actually enjoy it, get to listen to music/podcasts and think about life.
    If there is traffic it is a nightmare and makes me want to kill other drivers.

I would say it depends on the type of driving.

13. track wagon

track wagon MCAS MIRAMAR

45 mins each way. Not to bad on the 300. I do it because of my kids.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

10 minutes on the duc, 12 in the truck, 15 on the grom.

that move to this side of town was the best thing ever.

back in germany i lived 10 min from the company, then moved to the GF and drove 45 min (best, 1.5h worst, [edit: 25 min on the Mille as superbest]). still, what a major pain every day.

i'd take the drive for a month or 2, but for sure with a moving plan in mind.

15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

30 minutes in the morning and 45 minutes minimum in the afternoon.Next month will be 20 years at the same place. Funny coincidence this thread popped up today......I got a call from old co-workers today trying to recruit me to come over to the shop they work at,but it'll be way more traffic if I go since its right in the middle of DC,and that was my only concern........but its 7 bucks an hour more than I make now plus equal benefits to what I have already,and NO MORE UNION!!!!!!:rock:

rafa likes this.
  16. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I'm 20 minutes there and back.

I've done an hour each way and since it was a reverse commute it wasn't that bad - listen to podcasts, zone out, etc. - all highway miles so it's kinda relaxing.

My wife works in midtown (NYC) so her commute is two hours each way.........she used to do 5 days a week, then went down to 4, and now is 2x per week (Monday and Tuesday) and works from home the other three days. I don't know how the fuck she does those two days but she doesn't seem to mind it.

17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Ok,what the heck do yall do, that you can work from home?:confused: I'd love to do that since I hate people.:D

code3ryder likes this.
  18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I agree to wake up at all hours of the day and night to make sure someone can watch TV and do an outstanding job of it. I also agree to take a little less in pay for not driving to the office everyday.

19. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

My commute times vary from 3 min to 2 months.

Boman Forklift and track wagon like this.
  20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

My commute is about 44 miles each way. Takes 1:40 to 2:00 each way. Car to train station ( :15), train ( 1:00), 2 subways ( :20-:25 ), walk 1 block from subway. Add in some wait time for trains/subways, and it adds up. Track work, equipment problems, delays, and it can push past 2:00. Monthly commute cost is north of $650 for commute (train, subway, mileage, parking). Driving would take the same amount of time or more, and cost an extra 50% - monthly parking in Manhattan is around $600-700/mo including taxes.

I'm doing this because it maintains health insurance and gets me to the right numbers for retirement soon. Good paying jobs with good benefits when you are in your 60's are hard to find.

It's soul-killing. If I couldn't sleep on the train, I couldn't do it. I work with folks who have been doing it 5 days a week for 30+ years.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018