1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 Mile

Discussion in 'General' started by Madmike, Nov 9, 2002.

1. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i think my grand-dad does. ;)

2. Madmike

Madmike Drunk Member

All kidding aside.
    Break down and buy the Marshall Mathers LP
    Take the time and "listen" to the words. Dont just hear it.
    Really listen to the story he tells and the words he weaves.
    I was a little worried the movie would not be good. But as a musician and a talented lyricist he is a force to be reckoned with.
    You may not like what he has to say, it may even disgust you, but you have to love how he says it.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, wearing in the finish from playing. No mods. Neck is perfect. Original case. Numbers match.
    Although I'm not a strat fanatic, I may just have to grab this one.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Took me about 5 sit throughs to start enjoing the album. Definitely one of the few new albums released today worth $12.

5. ZebProctor1

ZebProctor1 Well-Known Member

3 out of 5

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

he is more like the old days when the words had to fit to be put in.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

I used to like him...and still respect him for his music, but he's a hypokrite. In his lyrics he "disses" other artist and calls them sell out's, but he's the one that has a "Eminem doll" out AND his very own "Eminem" magazine so little girls can cut his pictures out and paste them on their wall...:rolleyes:

...kinda kills his cred if you ask me...

8. stickboy274

thats true, but i dont get into all that. i drive 50,000 plus miles a year. i just listen to the music, all kinds. otherwise i would go crazy

9. Peanut

Peanut Well-Known Member

Spoken like a guy who doesn't listen to much rap...:rolleyes:

10. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

If a person has an opinon and a story to share, fine, I enjoy people who challenge my way of thinking and beliefs. But if that person cannot do that without every other word being a swear word, he will not have my ear or respect. You don't have to talk like that to get your point across. (OK, I'm getting off my soap box now)

Dawn

:)

11. stickboy274

he isnt as good as the D.O.C., but he does a lot better than most of what is out now.

12. PACMAN

PACMAN Well-Known Member

The DOC had their moment......but it faded fast. I don't think there is anyone out there that can freestyle like he does. I've heard the underground and unreleased live battle songs from Napster. No one can hang with him. The words just flow. I would like to see anyone out there today challenge him. The boy is too good on the spot.

13. stickboy274

not only did he flow, but he was fast about it. he was helping snoop in the beginning of his career

14. mad brad

mad brad Guest

whatever peanut. you are just mad because he's a fly in the "rap" ointment.

15. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I don't know anything about Eminem's music but the local paper here thought it was pretty good. They gave it 4 out of 5 stars. Maybe I will go see...

"Some movies, a very few, possess the purity of myth, and they don't have to be great to be greatly important. The Wild One is an example; Saturday Night Fever is another. Now add 8 Mile to that short list. These films all exude a raw energy that seems to radiate from several places at once -- from the star, from the story, and from the pop culture they plunder and so neatly mythologize. Here, of course, the star is Eminem and the culture is rap, but the story is the same old classic -- the tale of alienated youth, the isolated individual seeking to give voice to his uniqueness. Sure, Eminem is essentially playing himself, (or at least his cultivated persona), but if this is his only role, he's got it nailed. The American screen is littered with pop singers who have turned their tonsils to acting, yet none who command the camera like this guy -- it's like witnessing the second coming of James Dean."

16. r6_philly

r6_philly Well-Known Member

he is not a musicain. look up the word musician or music in the dictionary. Just want to point out.

He is a white rapper who talks about the same thing 10 times over in different songs with different foul words.

He is more talented than your average white rapper, does that really mean a lot?

Is there any positivity in his words? Does he offer anything but rhyming noise?

Would the work be worse off without him? :D

17. Peanut

Peanut Well-Known Member

LOL. No you only like him because of that.

Ever listen to Mos Def? Remember Rakim??? Hell even LL's Pink cookies? The list is way to long to go into.

I like the kid but to say he the best rap has is ridiculous. But coming from you, that makes total sense.

18. Peanut

Peanut Well-Known Member

and (oops) edit...

Ever listen to Rakim, The Ruler??? Hell even LL's Pink cookies? The Unknown Soldier's rhymes on Music Evolution? That's not even getting into Pac, etc... The list is to long to go into.

I like the kid, I have 2 disks, and he's damn good, no doubt. But to say he the best rap has is ridiculous. But coming from you, that makes total sense. Hell you probably listened to New Kids on the Block instead of New Edition, uh? :rolleyes: Lmao

BTW.."Fly in the ointment"? You mean white rapper getting more play because he's white, & I'm mad? Didn't he already address this on the disk? Something to the effect of , " If I was black I'd probably sell half?" This is not news Brad. But he's produced by Dre' and if you know anything about how producers make money, the "ointment" is doing fine thank you. ;)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2002
  19. Peanut

Peanut Well-Known Member

Now that sounds like a guy who does listen...LOL

20. mad brad

mad brad Guest

it IS my opinion lugnut. and you don't know what is in my music collection. your ass just might be suprised. of course you know none of the shit you say will change MY opinion. those clowns you listed didn't even go wood, much less platinum. i stand that eminem is a genius, and a damn good rapper too.