1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22 year Naval Veteran burial question

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Aug 21, 2017.

1. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Sorry for your loss.
    We appreciate his service.
    Godspeed.

2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Sorry for your loss.
    Funeral directors deal with this kind of thing on a regular basis, they should be able to help you out.

I recall seeing the Dogfish when I was a kid, at Portsmouth Navy Yard. It was one of the boats my dad was working on.
    It wasn't dry-docked, so it was probably minor stuff.
    I only remember because I thought it was a cool name for a sub.

Yzasserina likes this.
  3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The Dogfish was the last sub he served on. He spent 13 years on the Hardhead.
    According to his DD-214, he was awarded a Good Conduct award (4th award)
    and a National Defense Medal (2nd award). He was an E7.
    My question is how do we "present" his medals and on what uniform. The C.O.B that replaced him informed me that either blue or khaki will suffice.
    My father was a working class chief. What uniform is appropriate? I don't feel, knowing my father, it would be appropriate for him to wear a tuxedo style uniform. His instructions to use were to "put him away as cheap as possible".

You dudes, and dudettes, rock :rock: in a time of need. Thanks to all of you! :beer:

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got a text in to a buddy who retired as a master chief, he'll know.

BigBird likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He said dress blues.

6. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

E7 is Chief Petty Officer, Engineman cool rate.....that's a pretty big deal. Part of Chief is a big uniform change to Khakis.

Have you contacted this "Holland Club"?...they may have some specifics.

7. speedluvn

No on the Holland Club.
    Yes but in our research, there are several type. I don't believe my father wanted a fancy blue uniform. We're going to Annapolis tomorrow to obtain a proper uniform and the medals/awards.
    The blue uniform he had was beyond repair.

8. speedluvn

Just caught this, thanks.

Not really wanting to wait on the agency that handles retiree affairs to step in.

Something I learned today is that the VA does not handle retiree affairs. Or at least thats what I've been told by my sister in law.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, not the tux style super fancy, the normal ones. His take is like most older military guys, you dress for the occasion and funerals get dress blues - even if it's your own.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not surprising, that's why people said the VFW I'm sure, other vets are going to be more useful than the officials agencies.

11. CharlieY

Khaki's are the "working uniform"....Chiefs dress blues are pretty sharp and would be more appropriate.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

BigBird likes this.
  12. speedluvn

Thank you :beer:

13. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Yes. Get ahold of Casualty Officer. They handle things. Especially for your mother? IRT SBP (retirement/survivor benefits) etc. There has to be one there for Navy in Baltimore. Regarding the uniform, what do you think he would be comfortable in? Consult with your family and take it from there. Nothing else matters. Hugs to you and yours.

14. speedluvn

My father stored his dress blue uniform in the attic but it didnt fare so well. So we'll seek a replacement tomorrow.
    Thanks so much!!

15. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I think the DD214 will list the awards in order...but I am not 100% on that. RIP Sailor :flag:

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

FWIW, now that you've found his DD-214 you might be able to contact a recruiter locally to help with the order of precedence medals are to be mounted. I couldn't imagine them turning anyone away who asks for help during such a trying time for you and your family.

My condolences to you and your family.

17. CharlieY

Hey if he stored it, he was probably ready for it. I'd bet thing are in order inside the bag......????....if old, use it as a "pattern". did he have his ribbons on it? He may have set it up.

18. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

Everyone here is giving good advice. I'm sorry for your loss and godspeed fellow Chief...

19. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. As a Navy vet I think your Dad was a class act. His DD214 will be most accurate. Reach out to the USO. They have people to assist.

20. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

Sorry for your loss.