1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22 year Naval Veteran burial question

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Aug 21, 2017.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

My father passed away overnight. He wished to be buried in his uniform. He served on the USS Dace 247, where he was sub qualified, USS Dogfish and the USS Hardhead 365. He is a Holland Club Member.

After attending several of these reunions with my parents the difficult discussion of death and last wishes began. I was informed that the local VFW ?????, could obtain/verify his rank and provide the appropriate insignia to be worn on the uniform? Is it the khaki uniform? He was a Chief Engineman.

This request should be a slam dunk as opposed to some of the other unusual request that I've seen posted here over the years.

Any assistance would be appreciated. If it helps, we reside in Baltimore, MD.

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

So sorry for your loss. :(

A few links below. I think that the hardest part will be getting all of his ribbons / medals, and arranging them properly. Perhaps pictures when he was close to retirement can help with that. Better yet if he kept his last uniform and the "fruit salad" (that's what the ribbons are called.) that went on it.

http://www.military.com/benefits/burial-and-memorial/headstones-and-markers.html

https://www.cem.va.gov/recmed_records.asp

I haven't really read through this one fully, but it looks to be spot-on for what you're looking for :

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/s...l-in-military-uniform-requires-planning-ahead

speedluvn likes this.
  3. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

If no luck with the VFW try the dept of Veteran's Affairs office closest to you. They should be able to dig information up via Social Security number.

4. I have nothing to add except I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

5. PATBAROK

PATBAROK I <3 Poontang

RIP to ur Dad
    My condolences

6. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss. Its absolutely Honorable of you to be doing what you are doing, Bravo.

I really have no answers to your questions, but I agree with the suggestions already given.

Good luck. I wouldn't sweat every small detail, I'd bet your dad is just glad you are doing the right thing.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Ditto and sorry for your loss.

8. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Condolences on your loss. Memory serves, DD 214 (service separation form) has all commendations? Likely in your parents house somewhere, but can get from Dept of Navy? Just googled it, it does. Also, produce at funeral home if you want military honors, interment, headstone marker etc. Also, you get flag.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

First of all, very sorry for your loss. Most of us are at an age where every day that we have our parents around is a gift.

@Yzasserina is correct. His DD214 will have everything on it. Once you get that, I'd contact your VFW and find a Navy Vet who will help you arrange his uniform and make sure everything is where it belongs. I don't know anything about the Navy, but if it's anything like the Army, some awards will occupy the same space on the uniform. You have to choose one or the other. An example would be CIB/EIB. They go in the same place and you can wear either one, but most soldiers choose to display their CIB. Little things like that would matter to your dad, so I'm sure they do to you also.

Tough days man. Hang in there.

Scott S. and Yzasserina like this.
  10. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Thanks!

Thanks for all of your support.

11. twin ty

twin ty Well-Known Member

My condolences to you and your family. I served 22 years in the Navy as well and you can pm me for any help you might need. I have uniforms etc. as well if you need them.

12. dantheman

dantheman Yeah, it hurt.....

It is awesome so many helping. Let me know if you need anything else or run into any issues., I work at the Navy Region Southeast building. One of the departments here handles all burials for former service members. I can get you a number if need be if you need to get in touch with them but looks like you are heading in the right direction.

RIP shipmate to your Dad.

13. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, my step dad passed away in Jan. He was Navy, buried at the Veterans cemetery in JAX. It was really nice that they showed respect with the ceremony and the flag

14. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

You could also maybe contact the MD Veterans Cemetary in Crownsville, MD. I'm sure they may be able to assist with some information at least. He may also be entitled to a free plot and interment there. My father is buried in the ND one in Mandan, ND. Saved us a few bucks.

And also sorry for your loss.

15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Sorry about your dad man.

16. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Godspeed to your father. And a salute for his service to this country.

17. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Very sorry for your loss.

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Sorry for your loss. RIP sailor. God speed.

19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

Sorry to hear man.