1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

22 year Naval Veteran burial question

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

May your Dad Rest in Peace.

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

I just wanted point out that being a former US Machinist's Mate, which, as I recall Engineman split into Machinist's Mate and Boiler Technician... anyway, that all isn't as important as the culture of those two ratings as being hard-working, dirty hands, don't like to get all dressed up for an office job type mentality.

Obviously I didn't know your dad, but immersion in that culture for 22 years might leave him preferring his simpler, actual 'work time' uniform more than his 'get dressed up for the dog-and-pony-show' uniform.

Just something to think about.

Either way, I'm sure that he would appreciate your time and effort into seeing his wishes met. And the fact that it was dress blues that he kept, might mean that that's the one he intended for this.

Medals' order of precedence is important. Consult this http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...ulations/Pages/NavyAwardsPrecedenceChart.aspx

And if any he has earned are not there, Google "" SECNAVINST 1650.1F "" the full listing of precedence is in appendix C of chapter one. When I just googled it, the first link was to download the pdf of that instruction, and the relevant appendix starts on page 25 of the pdf.

speedluvn likes this.
  3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

He had it stored but it didnt fare so well, it didnt have medals on it and only his rank and years of service strips.

Thanks again to all!

4. speedluvn

This is thought from the stories I've heard from my father. Thats why I have advocated for the classic dress blues as opposed to the tuxedo style. He would have been against that.
    I appreciate your info.

5. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss.

6. speedluvn

We went to the Navy Exchange in Annapolis, MD. We have the Good Conduct and National Defense ribbons. The C.O.B that replaced my father mentioned in an email that because he had 20 years, the stars on the Good Conduct (and the National Defense ribbon as well?) medal should be gold. We have black.
    Can any of you Navy guys verify this info?

7. MachineR1

MachineR1 Well-Known Member

PM sent