1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2022 MA Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 7, 2022.

1. GNC

GNC Jim Rashid

I see the big picture they should not worry about 600 bikes anymore. If you want to race the class pick the best bike. The GSXR is another non issue. If the class is moving to more twin style then make it a big twins class. 600cc and 750cc I4 bikes are dead to most manufacturers anyway. Racing them is a waste of time and money.

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I actually thought what you are saying would come to pass, with Stock 1000 becoming the new Supersport. The problem is, they are using Stock 1000 to prop up the Superbike grids with the "Superbike Cup"..... and now actively encouraging Stock 1000 competitors to flat out enter the Superbike race. Stock 1000 has almost become a premier class. Twins has really come around, but like Jr. Cup it's still mostly a side show (support class). I don't think they are ready to completely give up on SuperSport, so they are trying to draw in some more attention and manufacturer involvement.

In some ways, you can argue that it's already working- Ducati sent their MotoGP guys and a lot of factory bigwigs to the AHRMA race to get Herrin ready for the 200.

The Todd likes this.
  3. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

For poor souls who can’t qualify?

4. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Lcq?

5. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

the "alternate main" sounds a lot like what in oval track I've always heard called the "consy"--the "consolation race," a race for the folks that didn't make the main.

I have no idea what the "time attack" is; it almost sounds like it might be a very short session with justa few top riders, to establish the starting positions for the front row. Or not. LOL.

6. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I sew the whole 600 class quietly going away here shortly. There are very little market selling bikes for this class.
    And remember.... this 600 were originally the FZR400, Interceptor 500, GS550, etc... over time the manufacturers just kept adapting their models for what the "market" dictated.
    Now MA needs to read "read the tea leaves" and adjust their program for what the market dictates.. maybe a mid-size naked/bagger class???

7. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Isn't "adjusting their program" exactly what they're doing in the SS class?

8. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

To a degree... we all see the manufacturers are not making 600 anymore. And I think the GSXR750 is the last surviving 750 from the big 4 manufacturers.
    So MA knows they have to open the gates to more bikes just to make a full field.

9. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Remember, adding these bikes to SS isn't just MA, this is WSS. MA is just following where WSS is going for the most part.

10. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

They did do that.
    Ducati V2
    MV Agusta F3 800
    MV Agusta Superveloce
    Triumph ST765
    GSXR 750

11. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

Everybody tripping about the Next Gen bikes in Supersport....with their spec ECU and pre-programmed neutered throttle maps...

Meanwhile...the built fire breathing 600's are going to be on f*cking FIRE, coming out swinging in the 200. It'll be interesting to see what stays together!

Gino230, KneeDragger_c69 and cav115 like this.
  12. grasshopper

From Moto Am... Still no explanation for the "Alternate Main". But if it is a Last Chance Qualifier (LCQ) that's kinda cool. 15 min is not a lot of time. Basically what? A 4-5 lap flag to flag sprint race. Top 4 0r 5 guys in the LCQ / Alternate main make the 200 main grid?

The "Daytona Supersport Time Attack" is a Superpole-like qualifying session involving the 12 fastest riders from the previous practice and qualifying sessions. So, it sets the grid for the top 12 starting positions. Normally, Superpole is only done for our Superbike class, but since the Daytona 200 is the premier event at Daytona, we are doing the "Time Attack" as an extra event.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    KneeDragger_c69 and 2blueYam like this.
  13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

seems like a fruitless exercise for a 56 lap race with ~3 pit stops.

14. grasshopper

Seems like a lot more wear and tear on equipment as well. The top 12 fastest riders duke it out Friday afternoon. I guess there's plenty of time Friday night to swap the engine after practice, qualifying and then the "Time Attack / Superpole"

TurboBlew likes this.
  15. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I know a couple fast guys and they said when they did Daytona they needed two motors. One for practice and qualy and another for the race.

BTW, how much gain do expect to see on the current 600s with the allowed cams/velocity stacks and minor head work? A hand full hp?

16. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

It looks to me that MA, WSS, BSS, and FIM sanctioned bodies in general are doing just that.

With current emission/noise regulations all around the world, it seems to be tough to cost effectively churn out a 600cc bike that makes good power and passes requirements. Customers also don't seem to be interested in buying a 600cc bike that hasn't changed much in 12-14 years for $13K, when they can get a 1000cc bike with the latest and greatest electronics for 35% more money?

A new '22 GSXR600 MSRP's for $11,500.
    A new '22 GSXR1000 MSRP's for $15,800.

Given what I have learned in my manufacturing career, I would bet that the profit margin on the 1000 is better than the 600. It cant be too much more money for some sensors, wires, different size wheels, and everything else that is spec'd "higher" on the 1000. Especially considering a lot of this equipment is supplied by 3rd party vendors, and is very commonly used between other manufacturers.

Meanwhile, the middle range bikes above the 600cc's sell like crazy, yet they don't really have classes to race them. I am betting that manufacturers approached FIM/Dorna/whoever, and said "we want race these things, because we sell them, and make money on them. racing them may help us sell more of them. We arent making money on 600's anymore, so we aren't making them. Change the class"

Its always money.

17. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

From MotoA: The “Daytona Supersport Alternate Main” is a special 12-lap sprint race for riders entered who didn’t qualify for the Daytona 200.

Steeltoe likes this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

exactly... if a rider can stay on the lead lap that in & of itself is a huge accomplishment on both physical & machine endurance. Qualifying within 1-4 seconds of pole in the first wave.

Now a superpole sprint after the 200 for some kind of Title Sponsor bounty combined with a point or purse bonus would be interesting. Podium positions pay double. Kind of a 2 round deal to fatten the field.

19. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

upload_2022-2-24_11-38-36.png

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I would say more than just to a degree.