1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015/2016 Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by sbhockey, Sep 18, 2015.

1. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

I've camped on the summit of Big Frog(like 4440' or there abouts) several times. Mostly during the winter and while solo. Lots of bear sign up there too. Saw a Bobcat near the summit as well.

2. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

The fact that it is pretty thick with bear makes me a little nervous if I do get a deer down. It would be a long hike out with it packed on my back. Not sure what route you went up, but the trial I hiked didn't look like it had been touched in years.

3. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Last time I ran into some
    had a 223 with this crowd. This year trying out a 300 blk out and 6.8.

[​IMG]

4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm sitting an hour from there right now.

Which direction are you from Montgomery? I've got 2500 acres this year about 40 minutes east of Auburn in GA.

--Derp, just saw your location. It's about a 4 hour drive either way.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

This statement, in the context of a hunting thread, makes me chuckle.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Maybe he meant exploring and conquering?

7. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Got a place to go in Macon County and also Russell County. Russell is about 20 minutes toward you from Auburn.

I went to undergrad at auburn and used to have all my classes start in the afternoon so I could bow hunt in the AM. Those were the days

Used to stop in Newnan to eat on the way to Braves games. Also landed there once during flight training.

8. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Forget most of the trail names w/o looking at a map. But theres 4 main trails that go to the summit. I've hiked all 4. Of those, theres only one that was bad, having a chit load of deadfall, relentless briars, etc almost the whole damn way. And no water for a good stretch too. It starts on the Ocoee river side, from the end of a deadend FS rd where its hard to even turn around at.

I was up there when Eric Rodolph was still free. Some hunters came over to my camp and were really eyeing me. I think that big reward might have went thru their minds.

During that same period, and while backpacking up on an open bald above 6000' off the Blue Ridge Parkway and solo, I had a police chopper come real low and hover right over me, just to check me out. Nope. I'm not him.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Saw a guy in a flight suit this morning at the vet hospital. His dog didn't user his hind legs. The young lady sitting next to him with her dog of the same size appeared utterly enamored. My old pup is getting radiation therapy this week over there. That place is absolutely fantastic.

Our place in in Meriwether spread over two properties. JD Drew has his high fence land a little down the road. Eff that. A friend of JD bought another tract nearby and threw up a high fence there. Eff both of em. Drew put his up because a deer he saw all summer on a trail cam was killed on another persons property. Who new bucks cruise all over the damn place during the rut????

When did you graduate from Auburn? My BIL went there and his son is a freshman now.

I do love leaving here at 7:40AM and getting there at 7:50AM. :D

And of course this week is when the bucks are going nuts. But I'll pass on the deer to get the old gal to a state of comfort for what time she has left.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

So how is everyone doing so far? My nephew bagged this a couple of days ago in WV. Heading over Tuesday myself; hopefully he hasn't got all the big boys!

[​IMG]

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

We made a deal that the buddy I was hunting with could take the first deer we saw. We only saw one doe all weekend, and by the time we swapped seats in the blind, our window for a shot was gone.

That's a nice looking buck. :cool:

12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

You could come to my dads house and hunt these 6 coyotes off his porch.
    [​IMG]

13. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Second season for upland game bird in california started last weekend. I got 11 dove, zero pheasant and zero quail.

still a good year, i made jalapeno poppers out of the dove and everyone loved them.

shred the dove breast meat
    halve and hollow a large jalapeno
    mix shredded dove with cream cheese
    pre cook some bacon, lightly so it is still soft
    wrap jalapeno boat filled with cheese/dove in bacon, pin with toothpick
    grill till bacon is complete.

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My daughter got her first deer in WV today. I didn't even know she wanted to hunt until Sunday night. She said dad, I want to hunt with you and I want to shoot a deer. Sure, why not! She hunted with me Wednesday and yesterday and got her kill this morning. Right through the heart at about 75 yards.

She's a happy girl!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

V5 Racer likes this.
  15. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

depending on the rain I will be heading out for duck and goose either tomorrow morning or Sunday (maybe both, but they don't move around here in the rain.)

It's too warm to really get my hopes but I would love to bag a few geese this weekend. After 17 years working in the green industry there is very little that is more satisfying than knocking a Canada Goose out of the sky.

16. sbhockey

Very cool!!! It's been crazy warm here lately. Need a good cold front.

17. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

WI DNR officers would have a FIT with the lack of blaze orange. :)

My niece got an 8pt on opening day last sat. I went up in the afternoon (I work 2nd and couldn't get fri off). Right after hunting hours were over, a deer ran right by where I was sitting. Dunno if it was a buck or doe (just seen the tail bounce through the trees). This weekend is the last one for gun deer. Wont be going with another infection.

Honestly with WI DNR constantly screwing up everything, going out isn't staying enjoyable. Now we have to list if we are on private land or public land for the doe tag. Heard somewhere WI deer gun licenses are down by over 100K this year.

18. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Got this big fat doe in MO last Friday.

[​IMG]

19. sbhockey

581 yards. Around here, I'm lucky to have a clear 100 yard path.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You need more corn fields :D

JamesC459 likes this.