1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2015/2016 Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by sbhockey, Sep 18, 2015.

1. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

RD, that property is a dream. Don't ever let it slip out of the family.

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Thanks man!

My wife's mom already has it written in her will that it's to be split evenly among the three siblings and can only be sold if all three parties agree (which will never happen as long as my wife and her brother are alive).

Phl218 likes this.
  3. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

Had several encounters with decent deer this year here in NC. Nothing mind blowing coming from here very often though. Got this one the first week of Nov. and it was the first one of this size my little Jack trailed. She was unbelievably proud!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Kris87 and rd400racer like this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

The boys this morning... 14825914144810.jpg

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Rabbit season.

ungwaha likes this.
  6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

IMG_20170916_191859911-1312x738[1].jpg Who's hunting already in 2017? Things are already off to a good start here in GA. Jerky on the way!!!

SteveThompson likes this.
  7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Fucker.

Kris87 likes this.
  8. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I've never even seen a deer like that in the woods, let alone gotten a chance to harvest one. We slowly got pushed off all the land I hunted when I was a kid (owners die and wives don't like hunting, daughters marry and the son in law likes to hunt, etc) so me and my brother are trying public land. Last year was a bust, but was amazed how little effort people put in. We found a spot maybe a mile in on some public land the week before gun season, went opening morning and there were 8 people within the first 200 yards of the trail, all within 30 yards of the trail, most with their backs to the river facing back at the trail. Why are you even bothering to be here? Although I guess after our mile walk they still saw just as many deer as we did... :crackup:...

My brother decided he wanted to try bow hunting this year and just bought one. I've had one for a while but only shot at ranges, never hunted. We're planning on scouting some new public land next weekend. It's pretty daunting when I have literally no idea what I'm doing and we've never even driven past the land we're going to scout, but I'm sure we'll figure something out. Wish us luck!

9. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Y'all need to come to Alaska. You'd love it. Big cow moose and calf in my front yard when I came back from the gym this morning, and they took off down the street. We back up into a natural area, but the street is in a subdivision. You obviously cannot hunt in the city, but there are moose about everywhere.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  10. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Waiting for bow season to start in AL. I'm missing the first weekend of gun season cuz i'll be in New Zealand :( . I'm sad I'm going to miss hearing all the rifles opening up at 6:30 am when the first doe or dink walks out and the rednecks open fire like it's the apocalypse.

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I love hearing that opening morning Boom, Boom, Boom. I just laugh in my head "wonder if they got all three" lol.

Pretty fortunate I've never had to do the public land thing. I've got my own 40 acres, and it's just me, my Dad, and a good buddy of mine that hunt it. I've got one neighbor to the north before it's 11000 acres of conservation land, so there's lots of wildlife around. Havn't seen much deer around this year, but I've seen a couple does walking in the backyard. Tons of turkeys though. The cat used to put the run on them, but wont go near them anymore so I think he finally "caught one".

12. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I'll be there in about 3 weeks. :)

13. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Only boom boom boom? Hell here on the 1st 15 min of opening day on public lands its
    boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom
    boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boomboom boom boom boom boom boom
    boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boomboom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boomboom boom boom boom boom boomboom boom boom boom boom boom
    boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom
    boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boomboom boom boom boom boom boom
    boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom
    boom boom boom boom boom
    boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom
    boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom
    boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boomboom boom boom boom boom boom
    boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom

Last time I hunted public land, the bow hunters that owned the field next to the public land decided to target shoot from 7-11am then 1-4pm. They don't gun hunt, just bow. They were intentionally scaring the deer away. Of course the warden basically said its legal to target shoot during gun deer season.

14. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Two years ago I was hunting public land that was difficult to get to as the only nice path that lead to it was on private land. Walking in opening morning we run into two guys coming from the private land that apparently decided to hunt the public this year, no problem. Then as soon as daylight hits there's a fourwheeler driving all around there land starting and stopping we had a lake behind us 100 yards or so, and all the deer likely would be coming from the direction of where the four wheeler was dicking around... and of course those two guys walk out through the public land around 830, walk back in at 930, walk out again at 1030... finally when we ran into them on the way out at the end of the day asked what the hell the guy on the four wheeler was doing... "gathering firewood" on opening morning of deer season.... :whoosh:some people just don't make any sense...

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Makes sense if you want a fire and don't care about hunting deer :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

for you guys that hunt on public land. Do you wear bullet proof vests and bright construction gear?

I've never had to do it but I'd be nervous as hell

17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Blaze orange is required for the hunt out this way.

18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

My neighbor a couple years ago (he's a rich citiot, and this is his "cottage") had his garage door open and the radio just blasting one night. I'm siting in my stand about 100yrds to the north over the ridge just laughing. Guy was totally oblivious to the fact it was hunting season.

Depends on the area too. Deer around here are used to sights and sounds like that, and it's not out of the ordinary for them. It wouldn't have surprised me to see a deer walk out with thunderstruck cranked to 11. I've seen does come out after I stop cutting wood and sit down to have a beer. They're pretty curious sometimes.

19. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

A ballistic carrier, yes with ceramic plates rated for 30-06 ap. Should work on most hunting calibers. It does fit under my hunting jacket. Would like to find a blaze orange carrier. A regular bullet proof vest wont stop rifle rounds.