1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

$2.4 Million in Bribes!! Another right wing Congressman bites the dust!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Shyster d'Oil, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

He was a great man. Time, greed and stupid did him in.

2. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

3. scotth

scotth Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $2.4 Million in Bribes!! Another right wing Congressman bite

well, it is a tax on "sales". make a sale, pay tax. hence the name "sales tax". doesn't really matter that someone bought it before you.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  4. scotth

scotth Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $2.4 Million in Bribes!! Another right wing Congressman

estate taxes would be a terrible, stupid and not-very-appropriate example.

you should not sweat the estate tax. you'll never pay it, and neither will any of the people you know.

(I am assuming, but I feel safe in that assumption.)

5. scotth

scotth Banned

social security tax is a much better example. not only does everyone pay them, but you only pay them on the first ~$90k of your income. so it's actually a regressive tax. y'all should love that.

the very, very, very wealthy. and the stupid. if you're rich enough to have estate tax worries you ought to be smart enough to hie yourself to a decent accountant and trust attorney.

6. scotth

scotth Banned

bullshit. get me the statistics. until then, say nothing further on this subject. just because you read it on ritewingnutbag.com and you really, really want to believe it doesn't make it true. turn off the savage nation and try a newspaper.

I will let you wallow in trying for a while. if you ask nicely I will post actual fact. it just hurts to do your research for you. christ, I sound like such a prick...but you're so dumb.

look, I realize this is a persistent belief, and you want to believe that some day *you* will have this concern, and you need to justify it to yourself somehow...but it just isn't so. it's only slightly more factual than that whole jfk/space alien/hitler-in-your-basement thing.

no, they don't. if you are an 'average' person, you have no concerns about paying the estate tax. you must be well above average to lose any sleep about estate taxes. especially the farm thing. just not true.

hold up. is your family farm, perhaps, conagra? lykes? tyson foods? I think those vermont breakstone people *might* have an issue; I've never seen their financials. yes? okay, you've got an issue. sorry. carry on. you're right. somebody get limbaugh on the horn...

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Sure first bash the old fella........... now you're trying to promote him. :D

Where were you during the whitewater scandal? :Poke:

8. Shyster d'Oil

Hey, I'm only trying to promote his fall from grace.

Re Whitewater: Not sure of the timeline, but I think I didn't hate Clinton until 98, and Whitewater didn't play a role in it.

9. scotth

scotth Banned

you know, mccain was the first pol I thought if when I heard about this, before I knew it was cunningham and before I'd heard he 'fessed. I thought he was accused. mccain was one of the keating 5. cunningham's crime is far worse, but either mccain has made an incredibly good act of learning from his public spanking...or he really learned from his public spanking. obviously cunningham is done, but damn if I wouldn't vote mccain right now (and if I didn't try to vote mccain five years ago). at the time of keating who'd have thought that?

10. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

McCain was a victim of the Democrats trying to suck a Republican into the Keating fiasco.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Oh, of course, you have to be right. The federal estate tax only comes into play on amounts of 1.5 million and above, and everyone knows no farmland in NH could be worth that much.
    Shit, you can buy a 4-bedroom split up here for the price of a good steak dinner.:rolleyes:

As far as where I get my information from, it ain't from the internet or radio, and I hardly watch TV. I get two daily newspapers at home, as well as some magazines. When I had the time, I used to knock off over 300 books a year and I even managed to retain a few facts from them.

And don't kid yourself, you are a prick, and a smug prick at that. You related to Chucky? You sound a lot like him.

12. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Now you’re just being an asshole. :mad: The main reason why people loose family farms is the bank forecloses on their farm loan. Farm goes to auction, family and farm destroyed. I don't see how repealing an estate tax would help this situation.

13. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Sorry I only breeze through here when I can. I've been way too busy taking care of the little guy.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $2.4 Million in Bribes!! Another right wing Congressman bites the dust!

That is a state issue not a federal issue. Some states don't have sales tax on used vehicles.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What does that have to do wiht his example of the estate tax costing people their inheritance?

If the 1.5m figure is correct it's not hard at all any more to have a paid off piece of property be worth that - especially in the NE.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Then you aren't looking very hard.

Reasons for repeal of estate tax:

1. Although ofreclosures may be the primary reason for the death of family farms within a single generation, estate taxes are responsible for them not passing on to the next.

2. It isn't the governments effin money.

3. The deceased has paid property taxes on the prperty for as long as it was owned.

3. It isn't the governments effin money.

4. The property was purchased with money that has already been taxed as income and probably capital gains.

5. It isn't the governments effin money.

6. In many cities, and rural areas, it doe not take much property to exceed the limits for a non-taxed estate.

7. It still isn't the governments effin money.

17. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

:stupid:

18. Shyster d'Oil

I don't think thta you guys are aware of what the estate tax really is nowadays and where it is going in the future. As an example:

In 2005, individual estates worth less than $1.5 milion, or $3 million for a couple, owe no estate taxes. By 2009, the tax exemption threshold increases to $3.5 million for an individual and $7 million for a couple. (I got this off the interweb so it must be true.)

And proper estate planning may mean that the property itself goes directly to heirs w/o being counted as part of the total execmption above.

A trust can also be established to protect assests and avoid many or most estate taxes.

My gut feeling is that if your heirs have to sell the farm to pay taxes you have not done your homework regard estate planning.

19. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I agree with mostly everyone here so far. Except for the name-calling, this turned out to be quite an interesting read. Is that allowed in this forum?

20. Shyster d'Oil

Oh yeah, the VLWC!