1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 Series owners?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dieselboy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

They ARE faster than the E46 M3's....they were still around when the 135i first came out....went on a boot with a sales guy from BMW, we both had the same 540i and i did some mods to it so he felt grateful, asked me to come down so we can take some BMW's for a boot...

straight line the 135i is faster than the E46 M3 even though it has less hp, the torque of the turbocharging makes up for it.

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Great lookin little car. Congrats, OP. :beer:

3. Faster than a 12 year old design? Shocking :rolleyes:

FYI, the e82 135i was introduced to North America in 2007. The e46 M3 went out of production in 2006.

4. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

We have done a a bunch of N63 as well...Atlanta driving gums them up bad...That and all the other greatness that is the N63...:rolleyes:

And I do see a recall coming in the future...If a state like California gets ahold of how bad they're gumming up, they'll have to recall them.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  5. Turbotech

The One series M, was quicker around the top gear track than a E92 M3...On a HP track like Road Atlanta the M3 would walk it though...One neat thing about the One M is it is one inch wider than the M3 and much shorter...They took the suspention arms from the M3 and put them on the One...And since they body is differant it made for a wider track.

6. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Going further with that, most of the m3 suspension bits will bolt right up to the regular 1 series.

7. Macon663

Macon663 Well-Known Member

What is the car doing...

I push down on the gas peddle moderately and it shudders. As in, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, so its herky jerky. Like i'm pushing on the gas then letting up, pushing again, then letting up. Not a consistent lag, but one that happens every other second. Its pronounced on days when its colder or when the car hasn't been driven recently. Generally its a problem everytime I start the car in the morning.

8. Is the oil catch can a worthwhile investment, I've seen mixed reviews?

The JB4 tuner seems to be the most popular and promises 80hp to the wheels. Has anyone had any experience with this? Do any of these mods void the warranty?

9. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Yes to all your questions, though you can remove the JB4 prior to taking the car in to drastically improve your chances of a tech not catching it. They could technically still figure out you had a tuner on at some point, but from speaking to the techs at the dealership, they almost never have a reason to dig that far.

10. Turbotech

Hmmm, that sounds like clogged up intake valves...It will be a on off, feeling and a shudder at light throttle, generaly not real hard though...More of a light misfire-ish type of feeling...

Take it in and tell them what it's doing and you think the valves are gummed up, off of what you have been told by other owners....Tell them this is a multiple come back and you want the car fixed..And if they don't fix it, find another dealer and tell them you want their regional technical enginer brought in to look at the car.

11. Turbotech

Catch can should'nt be a problem, but I would try and get the valves cleaned first before you put it on...They're clogged up already and what you're feeling now is not how much power the car can make stock...

Take the tuner off before you go in for service, BMW looks for reasons not to cover stuff...And when word gets around it's tuned, every tech in the place will want to drive your car while it's there to, "try it out"...

We're kinda bad about that..:D..Just sayin.

12. Can they see if the car has been "altered" even if I were to remove the JB4 before a service? Just don't want to give BMW any excuse to void my warranty.

13. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Congrats on the buy, those are very cool cars.

My dad ordered one when they were announced in 2009 or whenever that was, did the delivery-at-BMW-plant thing where you go to pick it up in Greenville and get to drive and ride (in) various M cars around their facilities there. He ordered it decontented w/ manual transmission, manual seats, "black-out" package (black kidney grille, window surrounds, exhaust tips) in "invisible beige".

He then proceeded to beat on it for 50k miles. He had a couple minor issues with it, clutch was getting REAL snatchy by 45k miles, he cooked one set of brakes, and the car was back at the dealership 2 or 3 times for check engine lights and/or early model recalls.

The best thing you can do for that car is to remove the run-flat tires, sell 'em on eBay and spoon on a fresh set of one-size wider PS2's. I think you can go to 245's up front on the stock wheels, and 275's out back. Completely transforms the car. They ride pretty rough and harsh stock, and the narrow front tires make 'em understeer terribly unless you kick the clutch and drive it like a drift car. When you rid yourself of those stupid run-flats and smash some stickies on it, the thumpy/hard-edged ride quality is much improved, understeer levels are greatly reduced, and the extra bit of rear stick and more progressive breakaway characteristics of the excellent PS2's really transform the car.

The bigger/stickier tires also make it apparent that the car is underdamped from the factory. They get a little floaty and jouncy feeling when you're really beating on 'em, but BMW nuts love these cars because that suspension "feel" is very similar to the way the 80's and 90's era BMW's handled. Tail out, jouncing, with inline six screaming.

At some point, from somewhere, he had the ECU reflashed and bumped it up to the 335hp level that comes on the sport edition version of the Z4. Holy christ that woke that sucker up. 0-60 in 4.7 with the reflash. Boost is fun.

As others have mentioned, resale isn't great but it's nowhere near as bad as it is on the bigger BMW's. Buy a 6 or 7 series then sell it 3 years later... talk about taking it in the shorts. I think you bought used so it's a non-issue. I think pops paid $46K for his or thereabouts, and when he went to trade it in a few months ago with 50k miles I thinke he got $23K for it.

He's got a 997S now so he doesn't miss the 135 at all. Lucky sonofabitch.

14. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

My dad's was doing this exact same thing, I forgot about that. They did that drill that Turbotech describes (I presume), called it some fuel sensor issue on the invoice, reflashed the ECU (all under warranty) and voila. Car ran smoothly and ripped face once again.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Take `em a copy of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and challenge them to PROVE that your alterations caused the 'problem'.

16. Turbotech

I don't know much about the tuner boxs, but to my knowledge they're a pigback thing like a power comander is...I don't think there's anyway of knowing it was on there if you take it off and make sure the e-box is all put back together right...

The engine ecu may set some overpressure faults of some kind, but unless someone is looking for it I don't think they would notice...

Oh and one more thing, do not, NOT, put aftermarket LED halo bulbs in...We have had cars come in for all kinds of crazy shit going on.. (tpm not working, lights stay on, dead batteries)..And they have all been cause be interferance put out but cheap aftermarket LED bulbs in place of the standards...Pull the bulbs out and poof, stuff starts working again.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

congrats on the buy!

18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

The Cobb AP tuner seems to be the easiest to install and uninstall. Simple plug and play via the obd port. I put 235/265 19's on my e92 after I wore out the run flats. Night and day difference.

19. Macon663

Macon663 Well-Known Member

The car is in the shop right now and they won't fix it. I took the car in because of lag under load while cruising in most high gears doing more than 60 on the highway. Pull out to pass someone in 4th 5th 6th gear and the car has a misfire as it climbs the revs.

So they replaced the fuel injectors in the car but when they test drive t today to say it was fixed it was still running rough. So they called me and said the next step was to pull the intake and clean the valves. Which they said is not covered because its not due to a part they can replace. They blamed it on the fuel. Car has 52k on it with CPO. They want 900 dollars to clean the intake. How do I get BMW to pay for this? I do all the required maintenance and its always serviced at the dealer. I've had fuel pump issues since 45k probably and taken it in regularly for various things but always bring up the lag issue when I cold start the car. The injector issue under load on the highway is brand new.

They did give me BMW USA number. I will probably call but want a game plan first if a good one exists.

20. gogunbaba

gogunbaba Well-Known Member

Google "wallnut blasting" and you can find plenty of information on this. From what I have been reading on the forums over the years, there are only a few cases where this issue was covered under CPO warranty. Also, It should cost less than $900 to get this done at a dealer. It is generally around $500 (seen it done for $350 ).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013