1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 Series owners?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dieselboy, Oct 24, 2012.

1. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

Catch can?

2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

oil vapour from the crankcase is diverted through the catch can, where it can cool and condense and become a liquid again before that air is sent to the intake manifold. It helps reduce oil vapour going into the intake.

BTW, BMW is not the only one with this issue...Audi S4 with the V8 has the exact same issue and exact same solution, walnut shell blasting and or removing and cleaning the heads...infact ALL first gen direct injection engines are suffering from this.

its a conseqence nobody realized before full production.

3. wingnutks

wingnutks Well-Known Member

lol, I was suggesting they use a catch can. Why dont they design a catch can that they can put on the car after they do the walnut blasting?

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

5.0 Mustang and F150 owners regularly put a catch can between the valve-cover PCV and the intake. Amazing amount of oil collected between oil changes.

5. Rebel635

The whole reason they divert the crankcase vapours to the intake is so they are burned up...whole "save the planet" and all that BS.

So OEM's cant put catch cans by law since it kinda defeats the purpose....

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

How does it circumvent the Fed's dictum when the oil is separated out of the vapors and the other gases are fed back into the intake?

7. Rebel635

well it comes down to how to dispose of the trapped oil.....it would require additional checks, maintenance schedule, bla bla bla....something OEM's are not willing to do. Hell its hard enough for people to lift a dipstick and check the oil, cant ask them to check something else....you kidding...:Poke:

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

How do you dispose of the oil you drain out of the crankcase/transmission/transfer case/differential(s)/oil filter?

9. Rebel635

you like being a smart ass?

I'm giving you a possible reason why OEM's dont do it....

Primarily its because up to now, they didnt give a chit..."reduced power due to oil vapour? meeeh we dont give a chit"

10. MotoGP69

MotoGP69 Well-Known Member

Back to the 135 - I just can't seem to get past the droopy looking side sills. Probably a blast to drive, but you might reconsider the FR-S/BR/Z.

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

No comparison between those cars when it comes to power/potential power when tuned. I would totally be into those if they had a turbo though.

I posted on page one about the oil catch can.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_335_oil_catch_can.html

12. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

What makes you think I like it?

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Actually, your post was as if you were stating a fact rather than a possibility.

14. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

:crackup:

15. Well, I freakin bought it! 30k with 0.9%APR. Some pics I snapped on my drive home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

[​IMG]

That's cute.

17. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Very nice man you'll love it...Any questions just ask...

18. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Great looking car, awesome color too :up:

19. The 135i is a nice little car, very quick, but no...it's definitely not quicker than the M3. I've driven both on the track, back to back.

Regardless, it's a very enjoyable car.

20. Jersey5.0

Jersey5.0 Well-Known Member

Our center just pulled an N63 from an F07 with under 13k miles for intake sludge. The car came from NYC and spent it's short life doing nothing but 1 or 2 mile trips. It put any of the 50-70k N54s I've cleaned to shame. Having cleaned as many N54s as we all have, I thought it wouldn't be too bad with the lower mileage, but I was blown away.

Me and the other techs involved came to the conclusion that BMW is going to have to recall these cars to install catch cans in some form. I think they are just waiting to see how the upgraded vent hoses will affect the situation. Talking to some BMW of Manhattan techs at school, they say someone is pulling N63s on any given day because of the driving style of city owners.

OP, congrats on the 1. That's the exact color package I would buy if I was in the market for a 1 series myself.