1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Beer Thread V2

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Jun 2, 2020.

1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I like the Megadeth beer we have over here.

[​IMG]

3. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Unibroue is such a great brewery. I still kick myself for not making the trip to the brewery when I was in Montreal.

Coincidentally, I had some Belgian pale ales and sampled a few other Euro monk beers while in Nashville this past week. I had forgotten just how refined they taste. I like a little more rawness out of most of my beers, but they do have some styles down to a science.

cha0s#242 likes this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

fail...I can see right through all those beers

rd400racer likes this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

High five on that, but damn that shit is 'esspensive around here

6. cha0s#242

Yeah, too bad it's owned by the Japanese now. They got bought off by Sleeman who in turn got bought off by Sapporo. It's still kinda local to us, but not really. They still have some amazing quality beers though.

7. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I guess my photo was too high resolution. Trying again here:
    [​IMG]

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Is it me, or am I the only one who prefer beer in a glass bottle?

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Is the quality still there? I don’t much care about the ownership of a brewery as long as the quality and personnel are maintained.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

To me, cans are fine for storage and transport, but when it comes time to drink pour it into a glass. Preferably the right type of beer glass: pilsner, stein, lager (think Sam Adams glass), or tulip depending on the type of beer. Mug or pint glass are fine too and certainly way better than a can.

11. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

My review of Unibroue's Terrible ended up making it the beer of the year for 2019.

It kills me that English Ales have fallen so out of style your list doesn't include the traditional nonic.
    "Let's go to the pub and have a pint to discuss the caaaaaaaase, Lewis".

Senna likes this.
  12. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Exactly, it tastes far better in a glass than straight from the bottle/can.

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, three of my favorites are Old Speckled Hen, Sam Smith Winter Welcome and Hen's Tooth.

14. cha0s#242

Yes it is. I never noticed any change in quality since the acquisition. They still have their brewery in Chambly, so I guess they kept the staff but I have no way of knowing for sure.

You guys get Unibroue beers in the States ?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Senna likes this.
  15. dsapsis

Yes, widely.

16. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah they typically have a one or two of their beers in most decent liquor stores in the Midwest. I still see them in shops in Colorado too, but my local shops aren’t quite as diverse with their offerings.

17. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I’ll have to keep an eye out for these. I was talking to a friend of mine a few weeks ago about how I have been drinking more browns, reds and ambers lately as the weather cools off. I had been drinking Pikes Peak’s Red Ale and Avery’s Brown Ale.

As an aside, New Belgium seems to have slipped quite a bit in terms of quality.

Years ago, I always looked forward to their Accumulation release each winter. I picked some up this year and it’s probably the most lackluster beer I’ve had in the past three months. Just really nothing of note to it.I had read that they may have changed the recipe, which is a shame.

Sierra Nevada’s Celebration is still a very solid beer, though.

rd400racer likes this.
  18. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

:clap:

I hope you don't drink it cold.

rd400racer likes this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

No sir. Just doesn't taste right cold. I need to search some out, should be on the shelves now.

20. dsapsis

Old Speckled Hen and Hen's Tooth are marques from the Morland Brewery in Oxford (how apropos of the Morse quote, eh?) bought 20 years ago by Green King. The original Morland yeast strain (Wyeast's Thames Valley) is my favorite British ale yeast. This talk has convinced me my next beer to make will be an Ordinary Bitter as I have some '21 East Kent Goldings on order. :beer: