1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Beer Thread V2

Discussion in 'General' started by Senna, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I bought a fast fermenter setup last fall, hoping to brew some beer over the winter, just never got around to it yet. Too many irons in the fire. Usually when I pick up beer its a case of mass market (corona in summer, sleeman clear in winter, sometimes coors or bud light), and another dozen or so craft brews or a Guiness 8 pack if I don't feel like browsing the craft brews. A buddy got me onto the sour IPAs last year, and I usually pick up a couple of those. I like all beers. Except Molson Canadian. It's fucking terrible.

2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Long beer lines in fixed spaces require a lot of maintenance, particularly for low volume use. I go through a fair amount of product tubing just to keep lines super clean.
    Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

3. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about that stuff. The first time I ever came to the US was Christmas 1983 when my brother was working and living in Pittsburgh. That was was the beer he drank at home, I can't really remember what it tasted like now.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh, it was shit. Cheap ass beer we drank in high school and eventually, in college, we'd buy kegs by the pick up truck load. :D

Got to the point they'd deliver it, give us an invoice and we had 48 hours to pay. A F@ckin' tab at a beer distributor for a bunch of lunkhead college dudes! :crackup:

5. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Are you "gahing" at the over hypedness of the beer, or my misspelling of Guinness? :D.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Misspelling for sure :crackup:

7. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

My favorite was the frats that would start out the year advertising an "8 keg party". Then the next one would be a "6 keg party". Then a "4 keg party". Hm... I think I am catching on to a pattern of leftover beer kegs.

8. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

For us, it was Iron City Beer before the hipsters made it kool.

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Dude in no universe is Iron City cool. It is low grade piss water. Perhaps you mean Rolling Rock.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Iron City can be cool if pronounced as Ahrn City.

11. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

The hipster dufase's in the DC area thought it was kewl when they released the aluminum bottle. They bought that stuff up like is was legal crack. By that time, I had a job and started purchasing actual beer.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I briefly considered using kegs until I realized that system seems that you need to clean/sanitize more than bottles. I’ll stay with the bottles for now.

Phl218 likes this.
  13. dsapsis

I'm not sure of your calculus here, but I think it's wrong :D

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:crackup:

15. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Are you insinuating that Rolling Rock is cool? On my aforementioned first visit to the US it was regarded as a joke beer amongst the Pittsburghers that I met.

Fast forward twenty years and I saw it sold as a "premium" beer at stupidly inflated prices in some pubs and bars in the UK. Man did I laugh when I saw that.

16. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

:crackup:

I love the which is the worse "hipster approved" beer. Rolling Rock vs Iron City! Too funny! :D

17. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

That didn't happen to be Verrastro's Distributing, did it?

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

After that time in my life. :crackup:

19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

No it sucks as well.
    It’s only redeeming quality was it came in the pony bottles, so it was 5 ounces of less suck. :D

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  20. dsapsis

Rolling Rock is often used as a diagnostic for dimethyl sufide (DMS) -- a nominally common constituent in beers, particularly lagers, which at low levels adds a beer-y malt savory-sweetness, often associated with a corn, or cooked corn aroma. being a Sulfur compound, it has strong odors, and at higher levels (>70-90 ppb where sensory threshold is ~30-50 ppb) is considered a beer fault. When AB assumed production of Rolling Rock, they had to work to get the DMS up and in the right zone for those that expected it.