1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full electric F150

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, May 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

cav115, BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  3. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Power per kg is superior in the model t example and refuels faster than horses.

electric cars are old tech, not new.

None of the fancy shit on those ev are new tech specific them that cannot be or is not currently on ICE.

power per kg and refuel times on ev suck balls comparatively.

take your dead tech, tron knockoff city shuttles outta here.

A couple of weeks ago, returned to Seattle area after a race in Baja using two diesel trucks and a cargo trailer as support/chase. The idea of doing that with EV is comical. We’d still be down there trying to charge them.

An ev competed in the race. It took 33 hours and had to be towed on a flatbed and charged off a gen set during transits. It also had to be towed on the race course a few times.

EV are toys for a long time to come.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  4. People said that same shit in 2000. By 2020, gas engines were supposed to be gone.

5. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Please spare us your personal peccadilloes. :D

6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

The commoners must have their puns or there will be a revolt.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Since it hasn't happened before it would be a volt, not a revolt.

cav115 likes this.
  8. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Just because they are not currently well designed for cross country trips does not make them toys, it makes them inappropriate for cross country trips. Just like a F350 crew cab is not an appropriate city car because you won't find a place to park it. It won't fit in any of the garages (too tall / long) or fit in 98% of the on-street parking places which also can be time limited so won't work even for a longer stay if you find one you fit in. More people live in cities than in the wide open spaces.

It clearly isn't the right vehicle for you, but it could be for someone else. We take my diesel SUV on our trips and by wife's car basically never goes more than 120 miles in a day. I don't think electric cars are quite right for her yet, but the range / cost / performance ratio is getting very close to something that we would consider when it comes time to replace her car. As production numbers go up, the cost will get better. Even with taxes, the running costs will still be considerably cheaper than ICE vehicles and I predict the purchase cost will be comparable within the two years.

Replacing the second vehicle with electric as well? Yeah we are a good ways away from that, but some people never take their car on a trip. They even rent a car for longer road trips. For them an electric vehicle might be fine.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fuck that, by the mid 80's we were supposed to be flying around like the Jetsons!

MachineR1, cav115 and Gorilla George like this.
  10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

You better post a link so that GG knows who the Jetsons are. That cartoon was before the birth of GSXR...:crackup:

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Then tell him the dogs real name is Tralfaz

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Tesla originally had plans where when on a road trip you would pull over at a big service station.....they would have coffee shops, movie theaters, etc. an open bay kind of like an oil change place and a hydraulic system would perform a 20min change and you take off with somebody elses battery pack fully charged.

BigBird likes this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And ruin my fun?

crashman likes this.
  14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Well let’s talk about fossil fuel in transportation applications in general, not just gasoline specifically. I don’t agree on it becoming just a specialty item in that timeframe.

It’ll be replaced in most mass market consumer applications, yes. For certain use cases, particular climates and particular areas it’ll still be predominant. Though likely to be replaced by plug-in hybrid vehicles vs pure ICE. The energy density of fossil fuels is so incredibly high compared to batteries, and the distribution infrastructure is so much easier that ICE will always be useful for a significant minority of people.

I don’t believe our materials science is advancing fast enough for ICE to completely die in anything less than a multiple centuries timescale.

If I remember correctly, if you chart the energy density of batteries to today from 1980 it’s only increased 2x. If you look at integrated circuits, transistor density in the same timeframe is several orders of magnitude greater.

Gorilla George likes this.
  15. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Dogs don't give a shit about money. He was Astro all along.

16. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I'm not happy about the future, but it's coming. Pressure from greenies and corresponding consumer demand will unleash the full forces of capitalism on any technical hurdles. I'm on your side. I have motorcycles with spark plugs older than you, for God's sake!

17. tony 340

To me it makes more sense to have natural gas vehicles as

1. we make a ton of it, cheap and

2...the infrastructure is everywhere already at least in Metro areas

18. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

What that chargeable offense?

19. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Nikola or the car company?
    Please try to understand my confusion. :D

R1M370 and tony 340 like this.
  20. tony 340

Elon's original vision was to have charged up battery packs that drop right out of the bottom of the car and swap while you were on a road trip.

While I won't say it isn't do-able the logistics and capital behind that are enormous.

He would be better off doing something like Amazon did with Kohls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.