1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Full electric F150

Discussion in 'General' started by nlzmo400r, May 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

All this charging of the EV, plus heating the battery pack is going to take a LOT of Coal fired power plants to keep up with the grid demand. BUT, those EV's will have ZERO emissions, right?

2. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I never said they would. Just gave a simple solution to the problem of a cold battery. Battery heaters have been a thing up here for a long time.

3. StaccatoFan

I wasn't specifically pinging on you...I'm just against EV's in general completely.

They're like Harley-Davidsons.....all hype and no hope...pay WAY more to get less. But, people are somehow duped into thinking they're the wave of the future
    because the true cost of ownership and the diversion of the source of pollution they create isn't up front and personal in their lives, unless they live next to the coal stacks.

Idiots be paying over $50K for a 2018 Dodge Neon....sorry meant Tesla Model 3. That's absolutely stupid.

And also for the record...I'm a big fan of hybrid drive vehicles. On my second now. I could have driven my Fusion Hybrid about 400K miles before I hit $50K in total cost of ownership on that car. When I drove it in colder weather, the mileage dropped from mid 40's to mid to upper 30's..which was still good...but the increased resistance, plus the additional tax on the battery to power the heated seats and climate control to keep us warm blooded types from freezing definitely had an impact on fuel economy...Battery heaters cannot account or help much with that.

4. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

At home my wife can park in the garage and at work she has underground parking so it won't be as bad for her as someone that has to park outside in this frozen wasteland all winter.

Regarding emissions of gas vs electric, has anyone actually seen a table depicting which is worse (for the area in which they live)? Tbh, I've never seen one, or looked for that matter. I'm now curious to know which is worse when charging on grid.

And we'll have to disagree about the hybrid, of the three choices gas/electric/hybrid, I like them the least. You now have the crap for both systems to fail on you. To each their own though.

BigBird likes this.
  5. StaccatoFan

I had 188,000 miles on my Fusion Hybrid when I sold it this spring. I put less than $1000 in unscheduled maintenance into it in almost 8 years of extremely happy ownership. Over 400 of that was to replace a wheel hub that failed. Dealership has an "free oil changes for life" plan for their customers. The other costs were brake pads and stuff like that. I don't include tires in that $1000. I even got 98K miles out of the first set of tires.

The new owner is still driving the living hell out of it all over town. He's a retired trucker and it's saving him a shit ton of money versus his F350 that has over 300K miles on it.

Yep..Hybrids are the worst.

cu260r6 likes this.
  6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If you put solar collectors on your house and live in a sunny climate, you should easily be able to charge your electric vehicle without burning any fossil fuels. A Mustang Mach-E or Mach-E GT will out accelerate comparably priced and sized gasoline powered crossovers. It will also have lower running costs, so how is that paying more and getting less if you don't use your vehicle to take long trips?
    Agreed that they are not for everyone and every climate yet, but as the tech gets better and the charging infrastructure improves they will make sense for more and more people.

The infrastructure isn't there yet, but I could easily see that when it comes time to replace my 2013 Touareg TDI (hopefully quite a few years off) that I could get an electric vehicle as long as we still have my wife's XC40 for longer drives.

For those thinking another technology will take over instead of battery electric, look at how difficult it is for electric vehicles to get a "fueling" infrastructure in place. Now think about how readily available electricity is around the country compared to say Hydrogen. Fuel cells have no chance of taking over.

gixxerboy55 and BigBird like this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Here’s your “electric car” view from the scene…

I’m on my second phone call to a car manufacturer regarding their EV chargers. The first call had me transferred from the main customer disservice line to the fleet vehicle line to the main customer disservice line again and finally to the finance department where I got sent to a non-existent number and disconnected. There went 20 minutes. I’m now on call #2, 8 minutes in and waiting for a live human being to once again tell me India sent me to the wrong department.

If my suspicions are correct, to install this car charger will cost the customer approximately $3000.

Ducati89 likes this.
  8. StaccatoFan

And your argument proves my point. And who really gives a shit about 0-60, 0-100 times? I mean how often do you actually do that? In real world driving it means absolutely nothing.

You want your EV to drive local, as long as you have a gasser for any trip outside your normal daily commute. Where's your solar charging facility once you are outside your range? How many people can afford a second car after forking out the cost for the EV?

They're not cheap...and you live in Northern VA, which is an artifically inflated economy that isn't part of the real world. I live in it as well in Maryland..so I know what I'm saying. The rest of America isn't like this MD/DC/VA area. Jobs in the REAL America quite often are not as plentiful, nor do they pay like many of the jobs on the Uncle Sam inflated economy pay here.

Not everyone has $25-$30K or more to have that solar system put on their house.

I fully admit I'm here in this area to make my money....but as soon as my son graduates, I'm so eager to depart this quagmire of BS I cannot wait. And on my journey back to the quiet
    sensibilities of a "flyover state" I won't have to stop every 200 miles to wait 60 minutes or longer for a charge provided by Natural Gas and Coal fossil fueled power grids.

EV's are a solution looking for a problem.

Ducati89 likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Aaaaaaaaand…fucktard sent me back to the main customer disservice line, because he was a generalist…

And round and round we go…

10. 650 RACER

650 RACER Well-Known Member

But there is a gas station on every corner with huge tanks in the ground. The infrastructure is already there for hydrogen isn't it? What seems like a monumental and expensive challenge is burying huge copper wires to provide charging stations everywhere. Maybe I'm wrong about what it takes to store hydrogen?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.