1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Moreso in the 80’s. I remember flight attendants got a lot less hot by the time I was teenager. Now they’re hired based upon other, I’d say, less important qualifications.

:D :D :D

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Nothing gets by the Beeb. :bow:

4. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

You realize 200k as a wide body captain working for a major airline is considered really shitty pay? So what you are writing is not true at all...I’m pretty sure there are some FO's working at SWA who are making $300k/year. And flying widebodies overseas gets really old after awhile with the constant back of the clock flying, I know, since I done now it for over 20 years straight.

Gino230 and BigBird like this.
  5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I was watching a report a few months ago saying that China is the new El Dorado for European pilots looking for a shorter path to big income. There is a huge demand over there.

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Back of the clock flying? :confused:

7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Time differences

speedluvn likes this.
  8. Resident Plarp

There is huge potential there, but you have to live in China for a few years. Granted, you get to live like a king for a while, and still pack away a shit ton of money. It’s a great opportunity for anyone just starting out. Plus, as a westerner, you get the pick of the litter if you’re into the wimmin. Every friend of mine from college over there had a ten for a girl, even the fat one with asthma.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well, duh! :D

10. Resident Plarp

Like, totally.

The only other drawback would be dealing with Chinese ATC;

“China Natnal flee too seven, fowwow Yang Zee wivver too People’s Bridge den bump light til see Mao Stachoo ...”

“Peking Center, China National three two seven ... uh, yeah, we’ll go just around ... “

ChemGuy and 418 like this.
  11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

And that's a real transcript. :crackup:

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Cash, insurance, love of the job. But overall yeah it can be tough.

13. Resident Plarp

I disagree with the hardship of NetJets life, unless it’s changed. An example schedule; you get two weeks on, two weeks off type of rotation. And of course, with seniority you get to pick your schedule as available. That doesn’t mean you’re flying, however. You may spend two weeks in a hotel somewhere, waiting to be called to fly someone somewhere, then hang out in a hotel until the end of the tour and fly commercial to get home. If you’re a young guy whose wife just fired off her baby canon, perhaps this isn’t the way. But if you’re into laying pipe in different regions ...

As for the job itself, if you’re in a smaller aircraft, eg. Hawker 1000, you often fly into the smaller, more austere locations. The nice part about that is radio chatter isn’t as bad and the flying is more relaxed than say, flying into LAX all the time.

Ask any pilot whose spent time over Iraq circa 2003-2007. It’s a great place to fly, you just tell ATC where you wanna go, ‘cause you’re not going to run into anyone in that airspace.

BigBird likes this.
  14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

You guys are pretty far off on Execjet pay. Here is the current contract.

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/fractional/netjets

About 60% of the pilots are on the 7 on 7 off schedule. Only about 10% can hold the 52 day schedule and it apparently goes very senior with a few exceptions. One active APC member says of the 72 days schedule, ‘the company owns your soul”. You can increase your pay slightly by working extra days, night flight time (I think they still have that), etc.

I’m not bashing on those guys. I just think if anyone is considering this as a career they need good information.

One often missed part of aviation is GA. There are great careers to be had there. I know there’s a few of us on the beeb who work in that arena.

ducnut likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

To me all of that is damn good money :crackup:

ducnut likes this.
  16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

When you're used to drinking Sterno, a warm Blatz looks like champagne. :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Lets not go too far....

18. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

It is, at the risk of being Captain obvious everyone values what they have least of, security, money, skills, time, variety, fulfilment, whatever. What starts out as a good idea changes over time.

19. SteveThompson

If you wanna go racing you gotta set the bar high! :D

My only point is that the pay rates and schedules in the last couple of pages of this thread are not accurate.

20. SteveThompson

So true!

I think some of those follow a predictable path though. As people get older they tend to value money less and time more. If you look at that pay schedule I posted, the one that pays the least but has the most time off is bid by the most senior pilots. At the risk of over-generalizing, I think this is something millennials have right. More of them are less willing to sell their soul for a paycheck.

BigBird, RichB and ducnut like this.