1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Ehhh, technically I believe there's been a couple that have "crashed" and were rebuilt/refurbished and made airworthy again.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Actually lots of them (big and small) "crash" and are repaired. Most plane crashes arent the smoking hole in the ground with nothing but burnt aluminum scrap around that people think of when you say airplane crash. More like a hard landing, runway overrun, tail strike, etc where no one gets hurt. Many of these get fixed and keep flying. Some are damaged so badly in these accidents its cheaper to part them out.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:offtopic: Talking about crashes, the one in Russia yesterday was interesting. I am always baffled when an airplane that makes it to the runway after an engine failure crashes on landing. :confused:

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

We got, we got it, we got it.............Oh crap, we don’t got it. LOL

My Dad use to fly on some of those outdated Russian planes when he was working in the Ukraine and Turkmenistan.
    He basically said, you just close your eyes and hope for the best. :eek:

6. ChemGuy

But it was able to fly all the way to the crash scene on one engine. You gotta at least give them that. :D

pscook likes this.
  7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

8. Resident Plarp

At issue may have been extra airspeed carried in that situation (I don't know if that's the case here) which translates to being unable to stop in time. That, coupled with fighting an airplane with a failed engine, overshooting threshold (again, don't know if that applies here), leads to additional difficulties.

I wonder how many hours this aircrew had?

9. ChemGuy

Dont forget its Eastern Siberia...so runway breaking action was probably 'dasvidaniya' even at the end of June....

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It didn't look like the frozen tundra from the video. They better have a really good excuse. At least, they didn't kill passengers.

ducnut likes this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m curious as to the “Why?” in the Russian case. The plane looked like it just eased off the runway. News article I read claims they exited the pavement at 328’. Did they land too far down the runway? Too much approach/landing speed? Panic? It doesn’t make sense, from what little info I’ve seen.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

:stupid:
    Did I hear reports that the first officer on one of the downed aircraft only had a couple hundred hours in the 737? If that’s correct, that’s frightening.

13. speedluvn

The plane in question, according to reports, has been flying since 1977.

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

He had a couple hundred hours EVER.

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I flew a couple Aeroflot flights back in the early 90's as a kid and I would tend to agree with that.

16. Resident Plarp

C’mon, if you’re flying jets, crashing or not - with only two or three hundred hours of experience, you’ve earned a man card.

17. ChemGuy

This guy did it in a war zone in a Mirage F1. In the US air force he was a mechanic, not a pilot....so apparently he had 3 years flying experience and got shot down in an F1.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/air-fo...ed-from-libya-after-being-shot-down-detained/

Id say thats even better than the guy stealing a Sabre back in the day..
    https://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/mind-if-i-borrow-it-76518363/?fb_locale=fr_FR&page=3

18. Can I have your crashed jets? Asking for a friend...

19. Resident Plarp

You know as well as I do, flying is the easy part. It’s paying attention to where you are and not running into anyone/anything that’s the hard part. Oh, and mind your fuel usage and try not to ignore ATC.

20. speedluvn

F that! Especially if I’m a passenger on the plane where he is member of the flight crew.