1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Boeing 737 Max-8 crash

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

I grew to hate it. I worked the 8-6 schedule for a company like netjets . I would wake up on day 4 look out the hotel window and just think I still have 4 more days of this crap. Most of our days were 12-14 hours long with 10 hours rest. The work was not hard
    but it was a job. And the 6 days off flew by .Just took a job flying for a part 91 company maybe 7-10 days a month for less pay but I am a lot happier.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    BigBird likes this.
  2. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

I’m starting to feel that. My jobs been a grind for a few years now as we lost techs and just had to keep working longer and longer out in the field to keep up with demand and even then we usually have 1 or 2 customers who get the “sorry, not for another week or so”.

After a while no amount of money dangled infront of you entices you...you value time at home more than anything else...mind you it does help when you’re older and have your finances squared away to start feeling like that.

3. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Explain

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

5. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

It's the part of the FAR's (Federal Aviation Regulations) that their operation operates under. In this case Part 91 generally refers to corporate aviation or an airplane owned by an individual. They are not flying paying passengers or cargo. The other typical options are Part 121 (air carriers), Part 135 (charter) or Subpart K (fractional ownership ie. NetJets). The test the FAA generally uses is called "holding out". That basically means, are you taking someone or something somewhere for a fee. If you are not, then it is Part 91. There's obviously a lot more nuance but that's the overview.

I have this idea for the prefect aviation job that some kid needs to try. I think there is an opportunity for someone who builds their qualifications to be able to captain small turbine aircraft. THEN they need to get their 50 ton Coast Guard license. We sell to a lot of guys who need a pilot and a boat captain. I think you could make great money, play with new toys and not have to work too hard.

speedluvn likes this.
  6. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

part 91 has its woes too with owners and keeping time :)

Have heard a bunch of not so fun stories!

7. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

One jet owner treated a pilot friend of mine like total shit. He flew for the guy two or three years. When leaving Turks & Caicos, he dropped one of the owner’s bags while getting the jet loaded up for departure and the guy lost his shit.

So he said “You know what Gary? You fly the fucking plane yourself!” grabbed his own bag from the hold, walked away and flew home commercial.

It was sometime between Christmas and New Year’s, so finding a spare captain probably wasn’t easy.

:D :D :D

MachineR1, crashman, 418 and 4 others like this.
  8. rwdfun

rwdfun

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Heard somewhere that he software fix has been completed. I guess now they need to start testing in simulators and eventually the actual planes?

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 1.58.09 AM.png

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If they are grounded how did they all get to Seattle?

418 and ducnut like this.
  11. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

By rail.

:D

12. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I'm sure that software has been tested for months and likely the test report is being reviewed or has been reviewed and they are iterating based on comments or any discovery. They've had customer pilots in flying the revised software / system for a while now.

Depending on the reason for the grounding, they can get approval to ferry them for storage, maintenance and the like. Just no passengers.

13. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Those are undelivered units and not certified for passengers. About a 5 minute ferry flight from the Renton factory. They are still "owned" by Boeing until the customer performs the C1 flight (at minimum) and accepts the airplane. (Flights are B1 for first Boeing operated flight, which can be up to an infinite number of "B" flights until all tests are complete, then Customer flights are "C.") Funny side note: There is an actual key provided to the customer in some instances. Ceremonial, of course, but still pretty cool.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ah, so those aren't the ones in service and then grounded.

15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Amazon drones :Poke:

16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I was reading an op-ed piece the other day and they were talking about the future of the 737 Max series. Asking, do you think people will ever actually fly on it again. They said not only will people fly on it again, but it will probably become one of the safest commercial jets in history...and went on to state:

1 - given the amount of scrutiny on it by the FAA and other organizations around the world, every single facet of the plane is going to be poured over repeatedly

2 - the fact that the airlines ASKED specifically for this plane (apparently Boeing wanted to redesign it from the ground up, but the airlines told them they weren't going to spend their money on a from the ground up redesign)

3 - the fact that if you were to walk down the isle of a typical commercial flight and ask all the passengers to state what equipment they were on without glancing at the safety card in the seat back, probably 90% of them wouldn't have a clue what they were flying on.

4 - The A320 for example which is currently one of the most popular and widely used jetliners in the world today. This is what their very MAIDEN passenger carrying flight ended up looking like. Thankfully only 3 of the 136 aboard were killed, but still

[​IMG]

17. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

When the Max’s come back, that first nose pitch down after take off is going to have some people going OH SHEEEUUUUTTT

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Meh, it was just lousy third-world pilots.

Newsshooter and ChemGuy like this.
  20. BigBird

BigBird blah