1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trump is a Winning Machine

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by blkduc, Dec 14, 2016.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

Facts are bitching. Ok then. :crackup:

The steel tariffs have had a adverse effect on the auto industry. Trump is directly responsible for those. In turn people are losing their jobs but apparently I'm just bitching.

People can't take basic criticism of their favorite political figure. Denial and deflection is the name of the game. Sad shit.

While I'm dropping links.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...force-as-slowing-sales-and-steel-tariffs-bite

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

None of this decision by GM has anything remotely to do with the steel tariffs, it's about making cars people will buy. And you somehow think I'm in denial or deflecting?

The title of the article is hilarious given it states the actual reason - people ain't buying the shitbox point a to b cars in the numbers they used to.

cav115 and sheepofblue like this.
  3. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Orangeman bad.

cav115, stk0308, jrsamples and 3 others like this.
  4. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

What are the long term effects of Trump's decisions? Those are what I'm interested in, and we may never get a chance to know. There will ALWAYS be ups and downs in ANYTHING anyone does. I see tariffs as a long term goal. We'll have to suffer a little bit before the intended goal is seen. However, whether GW's, Obama's, or Trump's goals are seen, people will tear them down while we're feeling the pain before the end goal. Personally, I see that going on here. Everyone wants things to change NOW DAMMIT! Things just don't work that way. I'm personally fine with people, like 418, questioning those. Welcome to freedom of speech. I want to see the plans through though and see if China capitulates and the intended consequences see their way through. I can't stand Trump as a human being, but I think his goals and reasoning may have merit. Gonna take some time to see it through.

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

Word.

I'm a Trumpster to my liberal friends and a Trump hater to my right wing ones.

Can't make this shit up. :D

2blueYam likes this.
  6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm fine with him questioning things - but this wasn't a question. He's bored and looking to bitch about something and this is the subject du jour. So I'm making fun of him for it (and it's interesting to see how he twists and turns trying to blame Trump for GM making nasty little cars).

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And to me you just like to bitch about things :D

418 likes this.
  8. 418

418 Expert #59

I guess if you wanna pin me down on bitching about something:

Trump was in one of the Ohio plants this June telling those workers not to "sell their house" and that their jobs were here to stay. Very same plant that's gonna get shut down. Sometimes being a leader is having to bring the painful reality even if it's not popular. Trump seems to prefer to take the reality and substitute it with his own. For better or worse.

Orvis likes this.
  9. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm here to stir shit up every 6 months or so and then leave never having to follow up on anything.

Let me operate. Dammit.

jrsamples and sheepofblue like this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup:

What can I say, I'm bored too while the girls double check the novice to expert bumps :D

418 likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That means you're doing it just right. :D

stk0308 and 418 like this.
  12. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

13. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

jrsamples likes this.
  14. wood600rr

wood600rr Well-Known Member

GM makes undesriable shitboxes that don't sell well, and their marketing campaign with the "focus groups" that are all surprised when they find out it is a GM vehicle are the most annoying ads on TV.

Make a good product with good value and people will buy it, try to sell a Cruze for $30k and see where that gets you....

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

A family member bought one. Yeah buddy it's real purdy.:rolleyes:

16. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

So, looks like Pootin got the green light to smack around Ukraine some more. Not good.

Ought to be selling the Ukes some of those b.b. guns that were intended for the Saudi hamburger family.

17. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Focus on short term goals is one of the main reasons our economy is as weak as it is (I know the numbers are good, but that's misleading because the people making money are at the top of the pile, the middle and lower class are still getting their asses kicked). Everything hinges on the next earnings report, so management does whatever they can to pump up earnings, usually at the expense of long term goals.

cav115 likes this.
  18. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Because if they don't the board / shareholders will boot them out and put in someone else that will. Why? Because the big fund managers drive the boards. Why? The big funds have to show regular gains against the market or people move their money to other funds. So in the end, the 401k investors and some corp investors are forcing the short term goals on the companies. Everyone wants their money and they want it now.

19. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I know. I'm on the conference calls every quarter.

20. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think the basic point that you are over looking is that GM is only cancelling the auto models that are experiencing slow to soft sales while changing production towards more SUVs and trucks as a result of a shift in consumer demand.

The steel tariffs aren’t selective to which models it effects but consumer demand is. Anyone with a basic understanding of Econ 101 can easily see GMs decisions are driven more as a result of a changing consumer demand, then by a price point in steel.

I would have to do some research but I know Ford Co. absorbed the cost increase in steel and did not increase auto prices to the consumer. I’m pretty sure GM did the same and yet auto sales for certain models continued to soften.