1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Riding it out on the Space Coast here. We were in a cat 4 direct hit zone a few days ago, so was leaning more toward leaving. However, with the current track, will be staying here now. Have a plan either way.

I am starting a big garage renovation, and was planning on taking the roof off Thursday (9/7). Obviously with the storm, that was cancelled. Good news is that one half of the garage has wall braces in preparation for removing the trusses. Bad news is that it has been tough to prep because everything is crammed in the "non-renovation" side, so generators, etc. are tough to get to.

Prayers to all those impacted by this (and those in Houston as well). I've been living in Florida since I was a baby, and have traveled most of its back roads (as motorcyclists tend to do). The only time I lived elsewhere was in the Houston area. So, an hour doesn't go by without a thought about what I hope did/will survive the onslaught in both locations.

Yzasserina likes this.
  2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

By this time Tuesday I should be able to tell everyone exactly what wind speed it takes to flip an RV over...

3. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Out of gas and water on east/north side of 75 at Howell Mill in Atlanta, and this thing still hasn't hit FL yet. Methinks it's time to go full preptard.

4. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Just got our first feeder band storm.

Holy shit that's a lot of rain. Even by Central Florida standards.

G8rDuc likes this.
  5. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Riding it out in Jacksonville. Getting ready to fill the bathtubs - lose power, lose well water

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  6. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Facetoobs people sharing the idea of putting valuables that you don't want to get wet into the dishwasher.

[​IMG]

Banditracer and notbostrom like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's stupidity that hit the point of the news talking about it. Amazing. Who in the hell ever thought that because water doesn't come out the door it's waterproof? Water goes in and out of those things easily - just not through the door... :rolleyes:

omatter34 likes this.
  8. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

In boca raton, hasn't rained a drop. Wind hasn't reached over 30 mph but the cable and internet keep going out. Not sure why?Good luck to the west coast

MELK-MAN likes this.
  9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Standard homeowners policy. No flood or hurricane coverage. The house has been there almost 40 years, so the odds of it getting wiped out while he owned it were slim. Unfortunately it's very possible that its time has arrived.

Flood insurance was something like $12k a year and they just couldn't afford it. My dad said if the place got leveled he'd just say fuck it and sell the lot.

FEMA insurance is kind of a joke. It pays 80% of the assessed value of the structure. In their case the value is in the property and the structure is only listed at $125k, so he was only gambling with $100k. If he had it reassessed, Collier county would have nailed him on the 50% rule.

Talked to him this morning. He's in good spirits considering his circumstances. He knows he could have been more cautious but said he had his tropical dream house for a minute and enjoyed it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  10. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

Well, he's got a great attitude! Sounds a lot like something my dad would day. Hoping for the best for them.

11. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I'm pullin' for you parents and their house. Keep us posted!

JBraun likes this.
  12. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

A friend of mine just bought a place a month ago in Lake Wales to winter in. He said yesterday, I may not even get to stay there before it gets trashed.

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

A friend of my dad just inherited a house on Big Pine Key and sunk $60 large into fixing it up. I'm afraid all he is going to find is a slab.

14. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Sill think it won't be that bad, Cuba slowed it down. Hope it goes west, missed the call of going east. Still calm here,, no rain and literally 20 knts of wind. Just another day

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Client of mine has one on Big Pine worth about a million.

For now.

16. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

No hurricane insurance at all? That's odd. A higher deductible is standard, but he would have had to sign off on a hurricane exclusion. I'm a Public Insurance Adjuster and I service that area so if he has any questions or concerns please have him call me. Happy to take a look at his policy too now if he'd like. I can be reached any time. PM me for contact info if you want.

t11ravis and MELK-MAN like this.
  17. amaner

amaner will do math for food

Riding it out in St Petersburg, FL. We're in flood zone C, so no mandatory evac. I am, however, looking upon the giant tree in my front yard with great suspicion...

G Costanza likes this.
  18. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Thanks man I appreciate that. To be honest I thought flood/hurricane were interchangeable, but I don't know what I'm talking about.

I know he's more afraid of the surge than the storm.

Moho81 likes this.
  19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

So dad just called to tell me his friend has a sister that lives on Little Torch Key and she refused to leave. That key is like 5' above sea level. I hate to say it, but she's screwed.

20. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

That is definitely not the case. I only know of 1 company that does not write for wind/hurricane damage. Any idea who his carrier is?

MELK-MAN likes this.