1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Will9465

Will9465 Well-Known Member

The keys are going to be flattened

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Been a couple days since I checked in. Going flat-out for 48 hours preparing my home, my parents home (who are up in New York), my Dad's sailboat (which is docked in a marina off the Indian River Lagoon), and helping out a few friends with last minute items.

Irma has certainly changed a lot, now much more threatening to the west and central portions of FL, but here on the Space Coast in Brevard County we are still counting on a good sized wallop come Sunday afternoon/evening and into Monday morning. We've done everything we possibly can, and now the worst part begins.......the wait.

I've been though all the major Florida storms since we moved down here in '91 and Andrew struck a year later..........the damn wait never gets easier. Wondering if you've done everything you can. Listening to the sound of the wind and rain gradually intensify, your house making all kinds of whistles, creaks, and groans that it has never made before.

All the very best to you folks who are in the direct path or may be affected in the days to come. I will check in as I can and power allows.

PATBAROK and caferace like this.
  3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Really getting tired of the US
    So the hurricane passed us but now get in your safe tornado warning. Oh the humanity! Get a life, the hurricane will kill you, no wait that didn't kill you, the tornado will kill you fuck off

caferace likes this.
  4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

You need to lay off the rum.

badmoon692008 and Scotty87 like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:Pop:
    NO!

V5 Racer and caferace like this.
  6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

flood and wind insurance are 2 totally different policies. Flood covers any rising water damage. Such as from the storm surge or a levy breaking, water going over river bank, etc. (and would be required if you have a mortgage and it's in a flood zone).

Wind insurance is pretty expensive.. sure wishing i had some about now for my apartments :)

omatter34 and JBraun like this.
  7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Good to know. Not sure who insures them.

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Such as? It's only temporary. Water will be back to normal within a day or two.

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i don't think people that live off the coast, or well inland, can fully comprehend the destruction and damage that storm surge can do. "back to normal" .. "in a day or two" ?? are you serious?

Water comes in, it goes out. That is the only "normal" part of storm surge. the massive devastation left in it's wake, as suggested, can not be fully comprehended UNLESS you have been through it. I've been there, done that. On a SMALL scale in 1992. The effects are incredible. And keep in mind, this is salt water, not fresh.

G8rDuc, JBraun and omatter34 like this.
  12. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Most people don't understand how bad 2+ feet of water in your house is. On top of it being salt water, many times the sewage lift stations aren't functioning at that point either. Never fun to walk in to a home that had 2-4ft of sewage water sitting in it for a couple days.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Then leave.

MachineR1, G8rDuc, Sabre699 and 6 others like this.
  14. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

st pete looks like its getting the direct hit now

yay looks like my home from 23 is gonna get flattened. :/ all my aprilias gonna be toast.

15. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Load that shit up and get on IT. Even just to Daytona should get you clear of 99% of it

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I'm starting to hear from friends in Tampa Bay area and they are bugging out. Who from Orlando East to Daytona has extra room even if the are CCS people

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They were talking about something totally different - just the water level in the Bahamas which dropped because the storm sucks it up making a bulge in the ocean and therefore low spots surrounding it. That will be back to normal in a couple days.

18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

You need to turn off CNN and increase your rum intake :rolleyes:.

19. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

I'm all boarded up and ready to get back to work ASAP. Decided late yesterday that it would be a good idea since we are sticking around. Hoping that it was unnecessary precaution, but our house is under contract to sell and I didn't want to risk any damage to windows and interior from debris.
    Thought we'd have a little fun with it given the nature of our business.

Attached Files:

20. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

I like your beard and glasses :D