1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. I just saw that one. It's right on budget and there are a few of those store near me.

Now the real question. Do I have to dress like a spandex avenger to ride one of these?

2. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Yes. Or suffer the wrath. Don't forget to factor in cost of pedals, shoes, helmet, bottle cages, bottles, some type of riding shorts.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

You don't HAVE to, but it definitely helps if you're doing any kind of distance. I fought it at first, too, but it's just better. You're gonna want some good padded shorts or bibs anyway. And having a soaking wet t shirt flapping in the wind for 30 miles gets old real quick.

4. metricdevilmoto

And get good shoes. I've been on the same set of Giros for three or four years now. I wear "mountain bike" shoes on the road because I wanted a sole I can walk on. I have a set of Sidi road shoes for when I know I won't be stopping anywhere on the ride. Walking in road shoes sucks.

5. Makes sense. I make fun of those guys every single day. Looks like I'll be eating my words soon. Thanks for the help.

6. ton

ton Arf!

the shorts are quite important. not so much for the spandex as for the chamois. people cite the padding, and it's nice, but the real point is the avoidance of chafing. (this is the wrath of which Jed spoke, though he might have been talking about the peer abuse, too :) ). no underwear. don't be a newb.

if i was going to try to go (semi) stealth, i'd do a set of bib spandex shorts, and some relatively fitted tech shirt (breathable). then wear whatever shorts you want over the spandex. the mountain bike guys all do that, but wear some lightweight collared print shirt instead of a tech shirt.

BigBird likes this.
  7. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

That colnago i posted can be had for 1200. Pretty sure it's a 60. I can measure it. Campy record 10 speed.

8. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

ride at least five or six bikes before you buy. purchase new from real local bike shop. the few bucks you save initially otherwise aren't close to worth it. if you're a big dude consider/test at LEAST a couple steel bikes if possible.

also check out the Giant Defy 3 www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/defy.3/22177/83958/

9. Just hit 201 (gained nearly 22 lbs of muscle, strongest and heaviest I've ever weighed in my life) and I'm 6'5". I would like to try and ride a few things. I appreciate the insight.

10. metricdevilmoto

9 speed Sora groupset for almost a $1000 price point?

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Never mind the MTBs. Lightspeed C3, Serrotta Ti. Mark Zeh Chromoly handmade bike not pictured. The Serrotta is so comfortable to ride and is less than 1 lb more than the carbon thingy.

[​IMG]

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  12. ESmith

ESmith Well-Known Member

Haven't cut the fork since I thought about selling it/ someone might want it setup different.

13. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

bikes don't always ride to their spec sheet. on top of that, one extra gear won't mean a thing to a new rider buying his first machine.

were you hoping for sram red at $1000 or what? :rolleyes:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/diverge-a1/106656

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rmance-race-bikes/1-series/1-2/p/1401010-2016

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...parentid=0c830f41-ceda-4129-8dce-779bb5bec710

14. Strickette

Strickette Katy, TX

Road bike and track bike...

Attached Files:

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Custom frame? that's a short inseam for your height. Find a local shop that caters to racers and can give you some sizing insight. Something in the 61/63 range would probably work. A larger frame would probably be better so you won't have to use a really long stem, just push the seat down a bit.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

No but the clothing is purely functional. Get a set of bib short, way more comfortable than regular shorts.

17. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

"BIKE FIT" is the MOST important thing you can do to improve rider efficiency and comfort.
    Go to the local shops. Talk "BIKE FIT', your intended use, cost/quality ratio's, and your experience level. They should try to educate you on FIT, and cost/quality, as they are the first step towards a happy long term cyclist/customer.
    Join a local riding club. Benefit from the Tribal Knowledge relating to equipment, locals shops, and parts.
    Back on Topic; 1.K$ is an OK bike as a NEW bike. 1.K$ will buy a NICE USED bike.
    Same as motorcycle racing, as you gain experience/skills/knowledge, you will upgrade your equipment ... Test ride as many bikes as you can. Ask the shops if they have used bikes in inventory, that you can ride.
    + Sheldon Brown's web site has good solid bicyle information, if a little out of date technology wise. Sheldon was an "old school bicyclist" who knew ALL about bikes & bike business. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
    Shoes, Shorts, Helmet and protective gloves make you more comfortable, more efficient, and safer.

18. metricdevilmoto

No, but 105 for that price point is very do-able.

19. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Plus one. Buy your first bike from a local shop. Bike fit is key. Shimano Ultegra Groupo offers the best bang for the buck- truly amazing shifting. It will last a long time. The Groupo can be moved to another bike when you are ready to upgrade.

Build fitness over a month or two so you can ride with a club. Lot more fun riding with other people. Safer in a group as it is more visible to cars. Group rides also motivate on those cold morning rides.

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Reliability, durability, compatibility.

From my experience all three of those start at Rival and 105 with 10 speeds.

And you can get a lot more bang for your buck on the used market.

http://forumdev.slowtwitch.com/foru...Cervelo_S1_56_cm_used_for_one_year._P5776264/