1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your road bicycle

Discussion in 'General' started by cha0s#242, May 19, 2016.

1. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

Exactly. Same as a heavier bike. Your going to do the same effort regardless. Lighter wheels/tires will just equate to a somewhat faster time while riding a given distance.

If your just riding or training, what do you gain by using light wt, race quality wheels? (besides looking cool). In fact, one could argue your hurting yourself, since a given distance will be done sooner(assuming the effort is the same) then with heavier wheels. =less of a workout (assuming again, you don't add more distance to make up for it). This is why I use a cross bike most of the time, and the faster roadie stays on the trainer with the "training" wheels. My race wheels last for yrs that way.

cajun636 likes this.
  2. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Agree ! It is also durable! They will last you through many (good!) long rides, as well as a good long time.
    On 'vintage' rides (25 - 35 miles) buddy Bruce is on his 1975 SR Pro. (He purchased it new) with a two by seven setup. I ride my 1988 Novarra Team, which has been upgraded to Rival with integrated controls and two by ten setup. The Pacific Coast Highway PCH early on Saturday/Sunday is a study in young women working on their 'shapes'. :rolleyes:

3. socal

socal Well-Known Member

Saturday morning NOW Ride up PCH from Santa Monica to Trancas and back is a pretty tough going.

Aero wheels just look and sound cool! Aero wheels wider than 45mm are not so cool with cross winds- ha! I will say that the Zipp hubb is amazing.

4. brex

brex Well-Known Member

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

99.99% of the time, I'm a rational and logical human and agree with everything everyone is saying about the carbon aero wheels.

The other .01% of the time, I plain old liked the way those wheels looked and would have put them on the bike if they were made of depleted uranium and actually made me go backwards. I fully enjoy pedaling and tinkering with two wheeled things is fun to me.

:D

6. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I'm just getting back into cycling. I have a 2008 Giant OCR1. It's got all 105 components, so it's pretty decent for me. If I can get a decent amount of miles on her this year, I'll treat myself to a nicer bike this winter. However, until I can consistently get miles on this one, I can't justify a new bike.

I love seeing all of these great bikes! You guys have some very nice machines!!!

7. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

He gets it..

Attached Files:

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah my HR gets high. Not as high as some people though. but now you gonna make me go stalk for some of them lol

9. used2Bfast

used2Bfast Still healing

My max was 182 bpm when racing. That was a few yrs ago, so I know its lower now. Very uncomfy at those moments lol

cajun636 and DucatiBomber like this.
  10. metricdevilmoto

I was told that 220-your age was a "safe" upper limit for HR for most people. Target HR being 220-your age X 60-90%.

Slightly related, I remember reading an article about Lance Armstrong's resting heart rate being in the low 30s at the height of his career when I was researching target HRs for cycling. Which, for us mortals, is insane. Crazy efficiency.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  11. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

:D
    And DRUGS. :D
    Edit-PED's. "Drugs" sounds too dirty...

Ride safe,
    AAron

12. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

That's insane. My max is 185ish. My resting is 47. Which is good I guess but my heart can't recover for shit.

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My max bpm is 197. Not sure if that's a good thing or not... I'm 42 y.o.

14. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

220-42=178
    So you are over but you didn't die right?
    So...
    Point being its all just "recommended" guidelines by the CDC, etc.

Ride safe,
    AAron

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah my buddy who is 49-51's is routinely over 200. But for me to be over 175 for a prolonged amount of time wears me out quick.

I need to figure out a way to work on this.

16. socal

socal Well-Known Member

I have a Garmin 310. I use the percentage of max heart rate feature. My target is 85% When I go passed 90% I will not last long, aka bonk. My riding has improved tremendously using the heart rate monitor.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  17. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

85-90% is mine also. I can hold 155 for a long time, but once I get over 166 it gets rough and over 170 I can't hold it too too long.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Had that same bike. It's good but I just got my TCR and like it much better. The frame is much more responsive.

19. metricdevilmoto

You know as much as I do he wasnt just sitting on his couch filtering super horse blood through his body.
    Exactly. Very similar to BMI charts. It's relative. A guy could be 5'10" 185 and be a bucket of shit or a guy could be 5'10" 185 and be rock solid. Or anywhere in between. If a 42 year cyclist's heart rate hits 200 in the middle of a huge climb it's a lot different than a 42 year old's heart hitting 200 struggling to walk up a flight of stairs.

DucatiBomber likes this.
  20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I got the cateye just for the cadence/hr feature. My max HR is ~195 for my age... when I exceed it I tend to vomit. :D Unless I had some caffiene. I put my HR monitor on my race bike and turned some spirited laps... was right up there at MAX so I try to ride in that area, with lots of intervals/climbs.