1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quadcopter,Anybody have one?

Discussion in 'General' started by assjuice cyrus, Feb 17, 2014.

1. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

This thread sucks :down:

2. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

4. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

if there is a moto in your vid it should be OK, if not I dunno..

heres a nice vid from Killboys QC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o417Dk7PCs0

I have a question: can these be flown out of radio range with GPS cords?

I have an idea to check property perimeters and trails but its probably out of radio range to the corners.. it is for wifi by a long shot anyway.

also for smaller properties, can you fly to each property corner and save each spot for each corner and then somehow program the QC to take off and cover fly to these pre-saved corners for an extended period and return when batt power runs below a specified amount (low batt)?

to top it off, how could you have it do all this at the press of a button? press the button and have complete ariel video coverage of your property! add a pause button to hover in place when something is spotted. and also a resume button.

thanks

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

6. assjuice cyrus

I just watched a video on it and it looks pretty big in size. Will it carry a go pro? What setup will need to be done it? Its states rtf and this being my first quad would I be able to do that set up on it?

Thanks

7. Reckless_Kelly

Reckless_Kelly Well-Known Member

The 3DRobotics APM2.6 and Pixhawk flight controllers have the capability to leave radio range with preset coordinates. I believe that is you are still within telemetry range, you can mark a(multiple) points while flying around the smaller properties. I know someone who sent his dual-ducted fan Learjet model on a sightseeing mission 20mi from his "runway" using the APM 2.6. When it returned, he had video footage of the entire flight and a nearly dead battery.

I'm looking at getting a Pixhawk for my hex and playing around with that, the telemetry radio uses either 433mhz or 915mhz (claimed 20mi range) so that you can see the location, direction, altitude, speed, etc (like flying IFR) when the craft is beyond visual range. Some people use a 433mhz radio controller and a 915mhz video system to fly FPV out to 5+mi, but you have to have an amature radio license to legally use that stuff in the States.

8. apexspeed

what the heck is "Telemetry range"? must rely on radio, right? with GPS it would rely on sat. so no way to be out of range with that. (thats why the 777 story is all BS IMO)

seems to me you should be able to fly these with GPS programming alone with no radio at all somehow.

9. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Telemetry Range is the range that your controller can talk to the receiver and vice versa.

if you have a unit with the ability to put in waypoints you can launch your copter and let it fly its programmed course without even having the transmitter on. Most of the new ones have auto home too so that in the event of a transmitter or receiver failure the unit will fly back to its original start point and auto land.

10. apexspeed

thats the ones that interest me the most at this point. something that works with little to no user interaction.

now how to transfer gps cords from the bike taken from the trails, edit the altitudes then upload into the QC? just an idea..

11. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Google earth. Transfer from device to Earth to generate a .kml file then convert that to waypoints.

Of course you could just get something like a Parrot that has a follow me function. It'll stay a set distance from the home transmitter (iPhone) and follow it. Pretty damn cool. Thought it'd make a hell of a promo vid for our cycling team following a fast training ride for a few minutes.

Google follow me mode for drones.

12. apexspeed

cool! (except the goog part but if they can do it there is probably an alternative)

Ive thought about the same for race cars! mainly for promos but my idea was having footage gathered while latched to the car then on a slow corner have it unlatch and fly off and then relatch again.

how fast are the fastest ones and would they be able to launch from a moving object? hmmmm...

WERA or AMA need to get onboard with these in some way ASAP IMO

13. Reckless_Kelly

Reckless_Kelly Well-Known Member

The Pixhawk has an optional telemetry radio in addition to the standard joystick style radio. The telemetry system can transmit waypoints and commands (hold position, loiter, return home, etc) over a much longer distance than the traditional radio can reach. It also transmits information back to the ground station (GPS coordinates, altitude, attitude, air speed, heading, battery level, etc) so that even though you can't physically see the craft, you can "look at the instruments" and see it's location on a google earth map.

14. assjuice cyrus

Well. I willhopefully be geting my rc eye xtreme quad this week or really early next week. Ill post pics and thoughts when I get it.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

From the first AFM race of the year at B'willow. I wasn't at the races so I didn't see the rigs but others said they were high end stuff, looking at the video again it looks like a phantom. I'm guessing they will be at Sears for the AFM/Pro races.

http://youtu.be/21swUjZGlGQ

http://youtu.be/m3vB1kPc01I

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  16. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

Thread revival. Just picked up my first FPV system. The Fatshark V3 Teleporter headset with microcam and integrated transmitter. Figured I'd start on a smaller scale and try it out on my smaller 180 QX quadcopter. Neat, weird, easier to fly yet harder to fly all at once just about sums it up. Granted the range is very short (200-300ft at best) but just flying it around my backyard is wicked cool. I've already made myself a little dizzy as I started to pick up the pace. It's something else not only with how far technology has come but also how easily accessible and affordable it is to the regular joe hobbyist. Not that I would suggest doing anything illegal nor consider doing anything illegal but I can imagine as these systems become more affordable and readily available wheels will start turning in some perverted minds...i.e. want to spy on that hot neighbor while in the comfort of your own home?

But I was thinking of using it as a livestreaming vid for racing or trackdays. Set camera and transmitter up on the bike. Give your wife or kid the headset. Better yet, set it up on student's bike and have a livefeed via flatscreen back in the classroom.