1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Don't believe the rumours. My bike is quicker than Dougs and even though my charts indicate it is pulling 112 at VIR I doubt very much it is doing that.

2. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

All you need is one of these. Cheap and easy to install.

http://www.trailtech.net/vapor.html

3. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Yea ...I wish,but I think I am with the hondas...cause Jamie could pull me on the straight by a bike,but I have 20 lbs on him. next time you hold the gun.......

4. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

I stand corrected.

5. ringdingding

I dont think your going to get an R5 in either. How stock was the RD? With chambers?, if so, thats an unfair matchup already. Now a stock RD250 with stock pipes would be a little more fair.

I cant imagine there is alot of midrange to be had in a DS7. That could be why you cant run with the CB's. Your going to have to port that thing so it will rev to the moon if you want to pass them Cb's, it'll probably be faster than my stock RD250 then too. (hey where'd the smilie go?)

6. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Speed check? Mount a GPS unit onboard, or better yet, to compare all the speeds position two XPNDR beacons near each other, a precise distance apart, and read the time, the software could measure the speed and display it automatically. :up:

7. drgonzo

drgonzo Well-Known Member

From info I have gleaned from the internet the pecking order goes kind'a like this.

Yamaha R5 347cc 14.7 sec ET @87.8 mph
    Honda CB 325cc 15.2 sec ET @85.4 mph
    Harley SS 344cc 15.9 sec ET @80.6 mph
    from Cycle magazine shootout 1970

Ducati Diana Mk III 104.1 mph top speed (independent testing)
    http://www.digital-brilliance.com/bikes/ducati.htm

Just as I suspected, I have the slowest bike.

8. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

i guess it's a good thing we ain't drag racin' then and they throw in a bunch of corners for us to make up time in ;)

ride it like you stole it.

9. drgonzo

Ain't we drag racing from turn to turn?

10. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

not if you're doing it right :D

11. drgonzo

I never claimed to be!

12. ringdingding

In stock trim the R5 could be a good fit, a stock RD250 has to be even slower, making it an even better fit. Modded out, both are too much for the class, just as an ill-prepared DS7 cant keep up.

13. drgonzo

14. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

15. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

You guys are all losing focus of the original proposal. You are all arguing about bikes in GP350. GP500 is the bump up class for the Honda 350, DS7 and Duc 250. The R5 is supposed be faster than them in GP500. I just think that since the 250cc DS7 is in GP350 then the 350cc version of the same bike should go in the next bigger class. The R5 came with a front drum brake as stock, GP legal.

16. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

You might jest but one of those has been beating TD1C's and T20 Suzuki's regularly in the UK:D

17. ringdingding

Early RD250's had drum brakes too, it has less potential than the R5, why not let both of them in? Oh, right, you ran an RD250 that was near stock and it was too much for the class, so the R5 would be too.

At this point it would be easier and legal to get your DS7 up to its full potential and wax them CB350's in both classes.

18. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

See, you're confusing the classes again. The RD250 is not allowed in GP350, It's a V1 bike. We are talking about the R5 in GP500. I don't think anyone in GP500 has spoken up about this yet, except the bump up guys.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  19. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

I would think the R5 is a newer era motorcycle than the GP era bikes. A better fit would be the YR1 if you wanted to add a two stroke 350cc to 500GP. But a stock R5 is a close match to the Triumph 650s that are already indexed into the 500GP class.

Craig

20. STAN LIPERT

STAN LIPERT Well-Known Member

The Gp500 class was supposed to be an older four stroke class, subdividing the established WERA V classes of the early 90's to bring in AHRMA bikes. If every bike is now proformance indexed, I say go back to having only V classes, where two and four strokes mix. Now you can index in SS bikes into fewer classes.