1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 Rules

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Mongo, Feb 23, 2012.

1. charles

charles The Transporter

Can't argue with that...yes, the class as it is works fine...maybe when the economy cranks up again (???), we might see bigger and badder bikes show up...leaving you with a caveat: you, more than most, know that it isn't just about horsepower and speed, at least not at all tracks.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh I absolutely agree about the hp part.

3. ringdingding

ringdingding TWO-STROKE MILITIA

I only remember meeting him once at SP, he was loading his bikes before the races because of the rain. The track was really slick in those days in the rain and not the place to race an all out two-stroke like the ones Bernstein built. That made conditions good for a stock piped RD350, which I rode to a strong fourth place finish in V-4 and my first win ever in V-3.

Funny how I can still remember that day clearly and many wins in between then and now are a blur. In the V-4 race a BMW crashed right in front of me in T-3, I just missed hitting it as it slid sideways. Seems like there were so many close calls I didnt want to go out for the V-3 race. Gene was like, what do you mean, the track is coming to you, you are going to go out and win the V-3 race. He was right, as he so often was.

4. ringdingding

If there was any logic to your arguement I would get behind you. Whats wrong with running in V-2, then bumping to F-500 and then V-3? The pace of V-2 is sometimes slower than 500gp, anytime Roper shows up atleast. Your R-5 should have no trouble hanging with the pack in V-2 and beating that goofball on the stock piped RD, unless it rains ofcourse. :D

5. mgmark

mgmark George Tirebiter for President

Sorry for the long delay, I don't have internet yet at the house.

The problem is the RDs are faster around a track than the piston port bikes, which is why the RD250 is not allowed in GP350. As it is the DS7 has only been a top 5 bike in GP350 despite the best efforts of myself and David Hurst. So by merely adding 100cc to the exact same bike it is supposed to instantly become a class winner in GP500?
    It sounds like Mongo has made his decision so all of this is moot anyway, and I'm not going to waste my time building an R5 for the rules as they are to prove my point. I'm following the Hondas now on my 250, it would be nice to have some more motor to be able to pass one sometime in GP500.
    Mark Badger

If you want to continue this conversation e-mail me at mhbadger(at)earthlink.net so we don't waste more board space with this. BTW, I'd like a stock piped Production class like in the old days.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Personally I vote continue it here so I can learn more about this stuff :D

7. Duck150

Duck150 Well-Known Member

Roebling raceway radar gun reading in GP 350....David Hurst 93(yamaha ds-7) J. Walker 87(honda 350) Jamie B. 88 (honda 350) Keith 86 (honda 350) Jack H. 88 (honda 350) for two years I taken speed reading at the finish line.....so don't say your ds7 is slow,many there is to many turns on the tracks you ride.......

8. charles

charles The Transporter

Yea but you get to say what the speeds are! I think you had me clocked at 192 on Joe's RZ!!! :D

9. charles

charles The Transporter

I don't have any dog in the hunt in the GP classes...but in general, regarding the Yam R5, why not let in the only R5 currently in racing trim and see how it works out? You have the ultimate say in permitting any bike to remain in a class if it clearly and convincingly outperforms every other bike, do you not?

I suppose everyone who isn't in those classes should shut up and allow the class competitors to speak for themselves on such issues.

10. Duck150

No Charles,I clock you at mack 1.2 and Jim at warp 7 ....................

11. mgmark

So how fast is your Duc on the speed gun? Just wondering....

I can state for a fact I have never been able to pass any of the Hondas on the straight with my DS7. I can stay with them in their draft, but that's it.
    Now my old RD250 was another story, which is why it isn't allowed in GP. :tut:

12. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

I will tell you when I was still riding my RD 250 that the only place I could pass those old Hondas was on the straight at Roebling and I could pass everyone but Buff. (Well, maybe one or two other guys.)
    Lyn Garland

13. Duck150

How fast is my 250 duck....I would like to know....but hard to ride and aim the gun.....David Hurst ds7 passes the hondas on the straights,I'm there and watch it happen.Ask Keith,Jack and others guys.............

14. charles

charles The Transporter

If I work the gun, I'll give you a reading of 132...:D

15. charles

charles The Transporter

Yea, Lyn, but you had all those special Yamaha RD250 Racing Division parts...

16. ringdingding

Is a reed valve bike faster than piston port around the race track? My impressions from listening to others with more knowledge than myself was, reed valves make for a wider power band but, that piston port could make more hp. The last of the two-strokes in GP racing were piston port, right?

Anyway, the performance pecking order of the bikes in question is, as determined by WERA Vintage, is or was, DS7, RD250, R5, RD350/400 in ascending order. Sounds like you should be lobbying for drum braked RD250's into GP350 or 500, not the R5.

I too would like to race with the stocker CB's with something two-stroke. A stock piped RD250 with drum brakes would be closer than an R5. I cant understand how or why your DS7 that has some mods couldnt outrun the CB's on the straights.

17. ringdingding

Are you sure you havent over ported your cylinders, maybe lost something somewhere. I cant believe you bike cant motor them CB's.

Check your throttle slides, do they go all the way up? Brakes dragging? :Poke:

Seriously, you should be pulling them boys on the straights.

18. WERA33

WERA33 Well-Known Member

Rich,

The last gp two-strokes were reed valved 500's, rotary valved 250's and 125's. Honda did make a comeback and won the last 250 title with a reed. All of the Aprilla's were rotary's.

19. bogganman

bogganman Well-Known Member

r5's in 500gp! Let 'em in! Muhahahahahaha..........

20. mgmark

Nope, my cylinders are cleaned up but definitely has not had the port timing screwed up. I prefer to leave it close to stock porting to preserve what little mid-range power it has out of the turns. I know my bike is down on revs on top from David Hursts bike, we haven't figured out why that is, but if the inside of his motor is as pretty as the rest of the bike, that would explain it.
    All the basic stuff is covered and working properly.
    No, you won't see any RD250 in GP, my fairly stock motored RD ate the Hondas, and was promply chased out with torches and pitchforks. It was my own fault for entering the wrong class though.
    I think Doug is afraid to say what his Duc will do on the straight,rumor is well over 110. :wow:

Mark