1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WERA Classifieds Site Launched

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by Mongo, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarzanMan

TarzanMan Well-Known Member

IMO, traffic will drop, but it will be a gradual process. In the long run, it will end up like other boards that charge people to list items (I think gixxer.com charges and *maybe* svrider.com).... the listings will become very homogeneous and impulse/casual buyers will frequent other places with a larger variety of listings.

I can't think of any pay-for-use sites that maintain their edge over their free-for-use competition.

It would seem (by his posts) Mongo is less concerned about the effect this will have on the classified listings than he is about filling his coffers.

2. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

I wish there was at least a way of knowing which members are who. It really doesnt inspire confidence to buy from a guy with zero feedback or history. I know in the long run it will build up, if there is a history of sales that is, not sure.
    I for one signed up with the same user name here. I would always hit the thread history button on a user that I was gonna buy stuff from and get an idea of who im dealing with.

3. antor1

antor1 Well-Known Member

Yeah thats true, I am/was a member of the gixxer forum and never bought/sold a single item. I didnt post because of the money but because it seemed no one would look to buy. And I didnt buy cause rarely found what I was looking for because of the layout and because sellers would never respond.:confused:

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not sure what's going on Cody - everything I've tried to replicate your issue winds up with the ad going through fine.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Blah blah blah. Don't act like some sort of entitled ass and I won't berate or insult you. I treat our customers with the respect they deserve. However you're not a customer are you?

As for the site. I didn't come up with it. I used it for the first time a couple days before it went live. Had no issues with it at all, everything is like the majority of sites out there, hover over links to see what they are, click a main category to see what's in it versus each individual one and so on. Really simple basic website stuff.

Absolutely amazing how many people are so butthurt over a company they're not even a customer of making a change. When the hell did you become entitled to have any say in what WERA does or doesn't do?

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actually no. I'd shut the both sites down just because I don't want to deal with all of the people who are using are resources and then bitching about using our resources.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Okay - give me one single reason why I should care about the classifieds listings being so huge and varied. Numbers to the board? Nope. Some sort of imagined advertising for WERA? No more spectators showing up than before so that doesn't work either. More racers? Nope. More.....well more nothing. There is nothing the classifieds do for WERA. Does a shitload for a lot of people who are pissed off because they've been making money with no expense for a long ass time. Still does nothing for WERA.

What I find funny as hell is all of you so pissed off because I dare to protect WERA and WERA's bottom line. Do you go to work and dream up things that will cost your company money every day? How about ignoring possible ways for your company to make some money? You blow those off because it may make people who aren't even your customers unhappy?

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So ask them who they are on here. Email or post on the site. Pretty simple really.

9. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Since I'm good at buying stuff and horrible at selling it, I never got to benefit off the free listing of something for sale. I think I will survive.

Is there an easy way the headings we have here on the classifieds would automatically link into the new site? I seem to usually browse the classifieds when I come on here, but don't seem to remember to click onto the other site. Also, when I last looked you can't enlarge the pictures, is that an issue with the site or my browser? You can't get a good look at stuff when it is that small.

10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I think the majority of people don't mind paying the fees.
    I don't mind at all.
    The concensus seems to be, not that it matters, but - old classifieds with fees.

Being able to PM, to easily see 20 or so ads per page, to click from the general forum to the parts forum, to click on 'new posts', etc...are all +'s of the old classifieds. Just having everything that is all WERA all the time on one site is very very nice.
    Can't find anything about the new site that is 'better' than the old, IMO.

I can honestly say, that when I sell things on here, the money goes directly into my bikes, which goes directly into my racing, which goes directly to WERA.

Having 25 listings in the parts section of the new site in 6 days isn't all that impressive.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't want to ruin any deals people are in the middle of so I'll wait until March to change the links to go directly to the new site.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not surprised at how few there are right now as people get used to the new setup (it's been less than 4 days too, it didn't go live until Thursday afternoon). People always bitch about change. People bitched every time I made a change to put in more categories here too.

Seeing multiple posts is easy, just click the main category link instead of one of the sub categories. It's set to list 10 items per page with more info than you get here looking at thread titles. If 20 is the magic number I'm sure we can do more (or possibly allow you to choose the number of items per page).

As for all WERA one one site....well we've been on two sites since the very first BBS in 98 or so. This site isn't the same one as the wera.com site.

13. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I havent been on the new classifieds site and probably never will. Its the ease of everything being here that I enjoyed. Conversation, information, buying/selling and all the other BS. Now WERA has three sites... Core information at WERA.COM.....13x for conversation and now the classifieds. What a mess.

I listed a lot of things on this site but sold very few things through the site. Most of what is sold is sold locally. Again, everything that I sell regarding bikes goes right back into them which as Gapman said....goes right back to WERA. 13X has already changed some just in the past few days. How about anyone with an up to date race license can post for free? But then we still have to use PayPal. I really dont have an answer for any concerns other than I hate PayPal. Fucking hate PayPal.

My rant is over.

14. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

I think more posts per page would be better, I do like the pic on the intitial description.
    On my screen the new posts look very narrow with a lot of emptly space on the sides, I know it doesn't matter and maybe it's future ad space but that makes it look much different and ebay like compared to the "old" site.
    I haven't posted yet, are the pic sizes and # of pics limited to the same size/# as the old site?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can do larger pics and more of them.

16. Bart#72

Bart#72 Well-Known Member

Well I just registered but it would not let me register as my user name here, I had to just use Bart as my user name.
    Any idea why?

17. Repsol a095

Repsol a095 Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is already set up, but it would be a better deal if you would charge by the year. For example, Supermotojunkie charges $24.99 for the year, and you can post as many ads as you would like. Again, I am not familiar with all of the rules here, but $10 an ad seems a little excessive.

I guess the door will hit me on the way out because this is expensive. I am really sorry because this was a great place to post ads. Oh well, a sign of the times. Good luck with all of this.

18. omnivore

omnivore Well-Known Member

LOL....you are so bright and sunny aren't you? This part of your quote reads like this:

"You aren't a customer of mine, and don't deserve my respect, so fuck yourself"
    Did they teach you that in Business 101- How to alienate possible future clientelle.....

Amusing really that I am an entitled ass, yet my points of issue mirror all the others like Kanatuna and gapman etc.....
    Like I said, when the racers make $, they spend it with you, as do your advertisers......I don't care about fees, I don't like the new site....and most others don't either.

This is what I mean......you are right, I don't currently race with WERA. I have however considered something V7 at Beaver or Grattan for a future thing.
    You treat your current customers with the respect they deserve.....ok..., and all others can fuck off I assume? That's what I mean berating people....calling them things like entitled asses,LOL.

Have you got your back up cuz you think everyone is attacking the fact that you want more $$? Or do you just really want a clubhouse for no one but WERA racers?

My issue has nothing to do with the fees you so desperately would like to line your golden pockets with...not at all. If I were posting something for sale, I'd have ni issue with paying a fee. I have even paypal'd annual membership dues to other message boards and sites just to have access to online streams of BSB racing that I can't watch on TV here. Many have openly said they'd just prefer to use another method than the classifieds you posted........ Most don't have an issue with your desire to earn money, and many have said they'd prefer to may a Beeb membership fee instead.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why can't you dopes understand the simple fact that Sean doesn't "want" your dough? No, the $.99 you have to pay to list your widget is not going to buy WERA a gold plated helicopter. The $.99 is going to go to pay the cost of the bandwidth that they pay to let you sell you shit.

Should they continue to lose money to let you sell your shit? Or should you, *gasp*, pay your fair share?

If WERA makes a small profit from their efforts, you going to bitch about that also? Most likely. :rolleyes:

I'd have charged you freeloaders years ago, but I'm a prick when it comes to business.

Forget annual memberships to the BBS, forget tweaking the present classifieds and forget the idea that, through your protests, things will change. They won't! This is the way things are and will be, get used to it.

20. omnivore

omnivore Well-Known Member

I think maybe there's a few dopes who just don't understand that the members of this msg board don't mind if they have to pay to sell their widgets....:P

And I don't even think those members mind paying for the bandwidth their widget selling consumes.......:P

No one's issue is the small fee.
    No one minds paying.....Just nobody wants to go to your new site.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.