1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bagger Blast off

Discussion in 'General' started by Jeff McKinney, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Yeah, You're right, there's something wrong about some American brands, showcasing some American aftermarket products, and American riders, racing at a Moto America event. Totally doesn't belong.

Spooner, turbulence, stk0308 and 4 others like this.
  2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Found this PR and it explains O'Hara's visit off the track

The debut of the Drag Specialties King of the Baggers event didn’t disappoint at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca on Saturday as those in attendance won’t soon forget the sight and sounds of the big V-twins scratching and clawing their way around the iconic racetrack on the Monterey Peninsula in a manner that most couldn’t have predicted.

The victory went to S&S Indian’s Tyler O’Hara, the pre-race favorite. But it was not without drama as the Challenger-mounted Californian battled back from an off-track excursion in turn two to beat Vance & Hines Harley-Davidson’s Hayden Gillim by 1.9 seconds in the eight-lap introduction to the class at Laguna. Third place went to Indian-mounted Frankie Garcia with the Roland Sands Design-backed rider bouncing back from a painful crash during practice on Friday.

“Three or four laps in, I was going into (turn) two and I didn’t have any moments going into turn two the whole weekend and just ended up tucking the front,” O’Hara said of the off-track excursion that allowed Gillim to take the lead. “I saved it and then actually went all the way off into turn two. Actually, at the start Frankie (Garcia) was telling me my bike was smoking and I was like, ‘You’re full of it. What are you trying to psych me out?’ But he was serious. I looked at the bike and looked down and I saw a little brake fluid on the pipe. I said, ‘Okay, well we can figure this out. Don’t pull me out of here. We’re just going to figure it out.’ We didn’t have any rear brakes at all either, so that was a little interesting. We just did our homework and I was very fortunate that I was able to keep it on two wheels in the sand. Hayden was riding really good, and same with Frankie. It’s just so fun, like you said, being able to be part of this whole King of the Baggers. I haven’t seen people that excited about motorcycle racing in a long time. People were jumping up and down and hooting and hollering. It was just fun to put on a show with these guys. My hats off to everybody who rode a bagger this weekend because some of the bikes out there didn’t look too fun to be on. So hats off to the team.”

turbulence, ducnut and Phl218 like this.
  3. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

F1 tickets sell out, MA not so much.....
    Bottom line the HD fan club can bring cubic dollars squared compared to the sport bike crowd. If you don't like it don't watch that event.. but it's like turning your back to a slow motion train wreck... I bet you can't do it

turbulence likes this.
  4. notbostrom

And as far as the bikes... I've seen uglier shit grid up in clubman

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

But the HD fan club is aging (big time) and HD sales are dying so what do the (OMG) millennials want or more important what do the Gen Z peeps want?

6. notbostrom

Guys that get to old to ride sit on the couch and watch other people ride... We have at least 10yrs of that cash cow left.

As for gen snowflake.. fuck them. Anything that requires having a pair will end with our generation

ducnut likes this.
  7. Hoffman900

Hoffman900 Well-Known Member

Man look at that boomer go! :rolleyes:

Go back to the old folks home, old man.

Millenials (and Gen Z) do plenty of badass shit, it just doesn't involved spending $50k+ to go racing. It would be a very boomer thing to think that if people aren't into what they are, then it's dumb... you know that self centered / self important thing boomers seem to have in droves. ;)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    the relic room and pscook like this.
  8. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Check their stock movement today.

9. notbostrom

In general the younger generation would rather Facebook then go outside.. not all of them but a higher percentage

10. Hoffman900

All I see on Facebook are old people sharing memes from AmericanPatriotRockFlagEagleNotARussianBot.com or whatever bs they're sharing.

Millennials are spending in droves in the outdoor consumer demographics. It's just not traditional motor racing. It's too expensive. I could buy what the TdF riders race for less than a Yamaha R6. Same goes for a top spec downhill mountain bike.

The narrative that all baby boomers are badasses (or were) and did badass things is revisionist history at best and delusional if I wasn't being polite.

11. Dan Dubeau

lol. Facebook right now is about 90% boomers screaming at young people to stay inside.

Hoffman900 likes this.
  12. notbostrom

Dude learn how to take a compliment. You and at least 9 or 10 other gen z guys are doing cool stuff but the rest of your generation only gets exercise if there's an antifa rally in town

13. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Pop Warner fields, packed. Little league fields, packed, lacrosse fields, packed. Bmx track, skate park, mtb trails, all packed with kids. Get in the attic old man, you'll have a better vantage of the lawn from the gables.

14. notbostrom

Thank god some of them are but it's less and less every year

15. Hoffman900

Still wrong.

Less at the racetrack maybe, but believe me, they’re outside doing other shit that doesn’t require having $40k in disposable income a year, and if they do, they’re spending it on $10k mtb’s and custom skis and surf / kite boards.

16. notbostrom

If you honestly believe an equal percentage of gen z population is out pushing the limits of their chosen sport I'll take your word for. Wasn't trying to start a generational war just saying as far as supporting motorcycle racing they aren't going to carry the flag.. you just don't see new riders in their 20s on the grid like you did 10 years ago

17. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

That’s a bit of stretch.

notbostrom likes this.
  18. Dan Dubeau

Because they're better at math now :D

19. notbostrom

You're just all pissy cause us old guys took over your Facebook feed.. and BTW I'm not a boomer we aren't that far apart in age. I'll see you in the 40+ classes soon and give you a lesson in manners LOL

20. Hoffman900

Facebook sucks. I don't know a single person under 35 that uses it. Some in the 35-45 age bracket, and the rest are old people.

A Bianchi Oltre XR4 costs $11k, + $800 for a power crank and you're close. If you want, sell the Bora WTO wheels for $2000 and spend another $1000 for something a bit racier. All in, you're about $13k.