MotoAmerica / Road America 2020 Round 2

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Jun 9, 2020.

1. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Don’t be obtuse. You’re basically saying that anything different is bending the rules (Lol cheating) to gain an advantage. I’m pointing out that in MotoGP innovation happens which either forces everyone else to adapt or get left behind.

I’m tying back to my original point of why are we penalizing innovation??

So no, super stock and MotoGP are NOT the same. On the contrary, they’re about as different as they can be. HSBK didn’t change the engine configuration of the Duc from an in-line to a V... it’s a bike that is available to anyone.

so saying they’re running a “different configuration” is a bit of a weird thing to hang your hat on. It’s still a 4cyl sub 1000cc motorcycle

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Because stock/production classes are not about innovation. The superbike and GP classes are. You continually ignoring that is why I keep asking if you're new...

I'm not hanging my hat on anything. It is a fact that an inline 4 and a V4 are different. Simply pointed that out when you said they're the same bikes. They are not.

3. turbulence

I’ll humor you. I am new to racing. I only got my license last year, but I’ve been around and ridden motorcycles a long time.

Not sure why I can’t have an opinion on the matter if I’m “new to racing”... that’s like when people call you out for the way you run WERA because you don’t race (let’s be clear, I’m not one of those people... I greatly respect what you do and appreciate it :beer:)

4. turbulence

Exactly! What did HSBK innovate here?!? Did they not take a bike anyone can buy and build it to within the rules??

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never said you couldn't have an opinion. Just not sure you understand how pro racing works and the end goal which is why I asked. You're applying club racing logic to a show. Superbike show is not the same as Superstock show. Superstock show is more about perceived parity, Superbike they try to get there while allowing for trick shit - so it of course doesn't work as well as what you can do in the more stock classes. You're putting on different shows for different fans for different reasons. You don't want all the classes to be the same. For us our customers are the racers and with the open classes what is available determines the parity - but even then only to an extent. I have outlawed certain models that fit a class and allowed other models that aren't technically the same as the norms for a class but they fit competitively.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not exactly and yet one more time, SS is NOT Superbike.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Maybe this will help -

In Superbike (and GP) you allow the teams to build the bikes using trick parts UP to the same level as each other no matter how they start off.

In Superstock you use the rules to try and keep all the bikes down to the same level as each other no matter how they start off.

The ultimate goal is parity as best you can and good racing.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. turbulence

Which is a weird way of looking at a STOCK class...

anyway, good discussion.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Why is that weird? You want to have a show.

10. V8R

V8R Member

And this is why it is critical to pick the best weapon for the class if you want to give your paying sponsors the best chance of exposure. And there is the biggest difference between pro and club. Someone has to foot the big bills. They want something for their money besides a good time. they want exposure. the team owner has to have something to offer. In this case, what appears to be on paper, an overdog bike and a very accomplished rider. Here's the problem. MotoAmerica allowed this combination to race. Team owner sold this combination to a sponsor on the promise of exposure and results. Moto America makes a knee jerk reaction based on a bunch of cry babies and the results of one race and totally fucks the well thought out plan of said team and sponsors. Sponsor says F you, takes his ball and goes and plays somewhere else. Way to attract money and grow the sport. Id be really curious if FIM weighed in on this or is going down this road in any of the other series they sanction? Maybe they are waiting for Covid to die down because God knows you can't update an eligible equipment list or update rule books from home quarantine.

turbulence likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Oh good lord y'all are some whiney bitches without a clue :crackup: You're all correct how dare they run the races the way they should. They should change it all up for you and what you think is proper...

RRP likes this.
  12. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Good time for Ducati to have a commercial showing how much of a shit bike Kawasaki builds.

turbulence likes this.
  13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

If one manufacturer offers a better performing machine in stock form, the other manufacturers need to step up. If you really want to ensure parity, set a maximum allowable MSRP for the class.

turbulence and Skter505 like this.
  14. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Performance balancing is so normal in auto racing this wouldn't even be a discussion. It's how you see a McLaren racing a Mustang in GT racing.

Correct me if I wrong but aren't most classes in professional motorsport balanced in one way of another not a free for all? (I said most, not all.)

15. V8R

V8R Member

BoP. Balance if Performance is very common. But it is done in a very structured way clearly detailed in the rule book. Unlike how MotoAmerica chose to do this. They have no precedent or mechanism in the rule book. That’s where the problem lies. WSB has a very complicated strategy for bop.

G 97, turbulence and Steeltoe like this.
  16. drop

drop Well-Known Member

I don't think you understand that this weapon was not allowed. Only until something was said did ma announce it is..

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. V8R

V8R Member

You must of missed the part where they said it was legal but the eligible equipment list hadn’t been updated due to COVID. Do you think a pro team would show up with an illegal bike and hope for the best? Do you think there was no communication between MotoAmerica and the team prior to getting it ready to race?

turbulence likes this.
  18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

At some point, they have to make a choice between having some variety on the grid and keeping fans of different brands excited about the series, and having a one-make class like we had with 750 Supersport from 1996 on (bikes were in the same ballpark in 1995 and suddenly SRAD happened. :D ). I absolutely despise rule changes after a season has started, but it's really cool to see multiple brands on the grid. When both alternatives suck (adding 50 lbs to the Suzuki or having 30 of them on the grid), the ruling body is screwed either way.

19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I felt that the team gave a very good rationale of why they chose to run Stock 1000 and the Cup races. People on here bitch about teams leaving the series and manufacturers leaving the series, so racers can't afford to build a superbike. The fact is, it takes money and that has to come from sponsors and to be effective, there needs to be long term partnerships. As they explained, going this route would give their sponsors the most exposure and the biggest bang for their buck. They also explained that they plan to grow with PJ and the Ducati from Stock 1000 to superbike. I would assume they would like to keep their same title sponsors as they do so. That is the way successful teams do it. How long has Team Hammer been M4 Suzuki? How long has Westby been Yamalube Westby? How about Aussie Dave and Fly Racing?
    I do agree that MA was premature in their weight penalty adjustment. I think they knuckled under to pressure from racers and the public outcry of the fans, like you guys. However, that doesn't mean that they were wrong, and we will probably never know since I suspect that PJ will continue to dominate the class.
    Perhaps you armchair quarterbacks should step back from your biased perspective of how you think things should be run and recognize what is good for the sport. You do want Pro MC roadracing to be a success in America, don't you?

scottn, jd41 and Skter505 like this.
  20. V8R

V8R Member

Can you explain how making a rule change with no precedent and very little real data to work from, at the chance of driving out a team and manufacturer, is "Good for the sport?" The whole point is, honor your rule book. Don't make shit up as you see fit.

turbulence likes this.