1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoAmerica / Road America 2020 Round 2

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They do have the god clauses allowing for things like a weight addition last I looked.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Which team and OEM are being driven out? There is plenty of precedent in motorsports for making a weight change. The rules cover changes like this but quite simply it is their rules and their rulebook so the entire series setup is as they see fit...

3. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Which in theory would be nice. Unfortunately this isn't the 90's anymore where every new sportbike was on a 3 year development cycle and new, better machines were coming out every time you turned around. Do I think that Moto A's decision was a little kneejerk after only one round? Yeah, possibly, but I see their point.

4. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Bottom line (to me) is that a change was made after one race.
    Hard to validate a decision like that on a VERY limited amount of data.
    This also makes it easy for many to suggest that SOMEBODY has WAY more influence than they should have ...
    Six races (half way?) into the season would have been way more acceptable to the unwashed masses.

The Great One, stk0308 and turbulence like this.
  5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

It just warms my heart that Bob Costas isn’t the only spectator that knows EVERYTHING about how to play baseball...

:D

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you went into it knowing that you'd have to adjust that specific bike as you go then sooner is better. You adjust and see how it works real world - especially when you're back to back at the same track.

7. V8R

V8R Member

2.6.3 Balancing various motorcycle concepts In order to equalize the performance of motorcycles used in the Stock 1000 Championship, a system of performance enhancements or restrictions can be developed (such as minimum weight, air restrictor or REV limit may be applied according to their respective racing performances). The decision to apply a balancing system to a motorcycle will be taken by the MotoAmerica Permanent Bureau based on decisions made by the Superbike Commission at any time deemed necessary to ensure fair competition.

8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

It was not allowed. A team should not have to have one on one communication with an org for rules. The covid excuse was a bullshit excuse not to update the rule book.
    According to the rule book it was not legal the first race. Period.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Says you. Oddly the people who write and enforce the rules seem to disagree and since theirs is the only opinion that matters.... :crackup:

10. drop

drop Well-Known Member

And again, they made shit up as they go. The bike is not in the rule book.

11. drop

drop Well-Known Member

And some of you keep saying they are going to drive Ducati out. How much do you really think Ducati is supporting anyone in America. To hear the teams say, little to none.

Yamaha and Suzuki talking about leaving, I'd try something different.

Seeing all the moves being made, I suspect 3 to 5 years there will not be a superbike class.

12. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

i’ve actually been in a room with the CEO of ducati NA at the street fighter launch where he specifically said they were giving support to wyman this year after what he did last year.

maybe kyle will chime in and tell me i’m wrong, but i suspect (as he probably should lol no win scenario) that he’ll keep his mouth shut

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I wonder how much the primary sponsor spot is on the HSBK bike. Having them put "Don't Cry" in big green letters on the bike may be worth it.
    I'd even buy the MA streaming package and watch if it happens.

badmoon692008 and turbulence like this.
  14. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Deja Vu...
    Went up to BeaverRun to watch the USGPRU event and do a story on a young phenom named PJ Jacobsen. His team was Celtic Racing, and he was riding a full-on Aprilia 125GP bike. I think he may have been twelve or thirteen years old. BTW, his teammate was Chas Davies.
    Anyway, young PJ was so deadly in USGPRU 125GP that they assessed a twenty-pound weight penalty on him. Not anybody with a works Aprilia,
    just PJ.
    In fairness, PJ might have weighed 85 or 90 pounds at the time.
    He won anyway.
    For what it's worth, young PJ, his dad and Chas were all totally polite and enthusiastic about racing. Yes, the team seemed really well-funded.
    I haven't spoken to PJ in years, but my recollection of him was a tough competitor and a young man from a good family.

stk0308, scottn, Senna and 3 others like this.
  15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If HSBK isn't getting support from Ducati, I'd rather see them run a different bike every weekend.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  16. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

You are 100% wrong on thar statement. The bike absolutely is in the rulebook.

17. turbulence

yeah but half the people in this thread still think it’s got a displacement advantage too.

Shocker, scottn, brex and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

He used to frequent JGP back when he was "15" for about 3 years. :rolleyes:
    His Dad (a former national flattracker) and he are good folks.
    I always found Barry and big Mark from Celtic to be cool also.
    Wishing PJ and his race efforts all the best.

19. turbulence

what is this about?

20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Since your reading comprehension appears to be a little suspect, I'll spell it out for you. Keeping the racing closer and providing exposure for team sponsors is absolutely good for the sport. As far as your assertions of "making a rule change with no precedent and very little real data to work from, at the chance of driving out a team and manufacturer" is your perspective, dare I say bias, not mine. I think there have been enough quotes of the MA rulebook to support their ability to attempt to equalize performance at any time and there were specific references to the Ducati that they are honoring the rulebook.
    So, what is it that is bothering you?
    You don't like the rider?
    You don't like the team?
    You don't like the organization?
    You don't like motorcycle racing?
    or
    You just like to bitch about stuff until everybody agrees to see things your way. Good luck with that, especially on here. :)

scottn and 83BSA like this.
  21. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Not to burst the bubble here but there was a rider / bike weight combo for 125 (IIRC it was 250 lbs )class and a bike weight for the 250 (first year was 220 lbs) class. I was always a bit over ( okay 80 lbs isn't a bit :crackup: ) . My 250 was under and we were always finding creative ways to make it legal. How do we know PJ's Ducati is hitting the 374 lb mark ? It could be just adding a few lbs to make it legal not the 22 lbs.

grasshopper and Boman Forklift like this.