1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cummins Techs

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jan 9, 2020.

1. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Get your emissions compliant equipment back on the vehicle and bring it back. It’s a federal problem and that’s what everyone fails to realize or believe. It’s not about the sheriff walking into (insert shop or dealer) and causing problems. It’s when the EPA comes in and hits you with astronomical fines just for it being in there, doesn’t matter if you did the delete or not, the truck being in the shop is enough for them to fine you.

2. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What if it’s in your shop to be reintegrated into the good graces of emissions compliance?

3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

There even shutting down shops that were doing nothing but simply selling the stuff to delete them. The shop wasnt even actually doing any deleting.

4. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Fantastic question, I would imagine it’s on a case by case basis and I’m sure you would have to provide work orders and everything proving you are making it compliant and I’m still not sure someone (vehicle owner or shop owner) still isn’t getting bent over for it being deleted in the first place. However I know it won’t be at a dealer for that because it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new truck.

baconologist likes this.
  5. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Soot is a fact of life with diesel. Learning to manage and minimize it will add to the longevity of the emissions system.

Diesel emissions are properly termed After treatment systems for a reason. They modify the exhaust gasses to legal levels AFTER the engine produces them from combustion.

Theres only so much that can be done tweaking cam timing and fuel injection to minimize CO and NOx in the cylinder. Without compromising power output for the displacement class. No one wants a 200hp 6L engine.

How is soot produced? From unburnt fuel. Roll coal, make soot. But the soot isn’t the problem. The DPF is designed trap it and burn it off in a regen. Except that the soot goes thru the egr valve and cooler BEFORE the dpf. Additionally, poor oil quality, either from the wrong base oil or extended change intervals / early break down(excessive engine wear) can add to the soot load. Now the worst part. Coolant from the egr cooler can leak into the exhaust stream and cement all of the soot into a big pile of crap that makes parts unusable.

Heat is your friend for exhaust after treatment. Keep the engine and exhaust up to temp, work it hard to burn as much as possible initially. Let the regen complete to convert the soot to ash.

Now, DEF/SCR.

This is a separate system from the other emissions parts. It’s only purpose is to keep the NOx in compliance. Think of it as an onboard emissions check station. At anytime the NOx goes out of the prescribed limits, the system will shut you down.

SCR controls NOx thru spraying “Fabreeze” into a specialized catalytic converter. The system uses closed loop monitoring like EFI to control the amount of injected fluid. The bad part-DEF has a fairly narrow window of operation chemically. The cat needs certain temps to work, the def needs pressure for atomization. All of this leads to a system with lots of sensors and controls. Ie; failure points.

There multiple reasons the SCR will put the engine in limp. And two levels of severity of limp. Some allow a few hours run time. Some go straight to idle only. Running out of DEF is the only one I know of that allows reseting without the OEM service tool.

Keep it hot. Not just the engine but the exhaust system too.

Clean and proper oil. Follow recommended change intervals or get on an analysis regimen.

Clean fuel

Stop babying the truck! Your loving it to death.

It’s been 12y since these systems became mandatory and they are still not understood, even at the OEM level. But everyday the OEM’s are testing and retuneing to adapt to how we actually use the engines. Thats why you see issues fixed with just an ECU flash sometimes

tony 340 likes this.
  6. baconologist

i don’t disagree. But when I’m out riding i can smell an older non-emissions truck before I run up on it.

True about particulate mater. Thats why the DPF was created, to keep that stuff out of our lawns, rivers, and being lofted in the air by the car following. Even still, NOx and CO produced by diesel did contribute.

7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I appreciate the intelligent write up of the functionality.

I understand all of recommendations, oil, heat and the like.

The problem still lies that these systems fail, and fail often and are most notable when the truck is still in the early stages of its usable life 70-140k miles.

If the epa or oem supported the cost of these systems for 10 years then I would consider keeping those smog systems. But they dont. And for the first time in a long time, im noticing newer tractor trailers disabled on the side of the road with their hood up.

I not sure the mission is being accomplished.

8. baconologist

When these were made law the EPA required emission warranty for them. Should be a minimum of 5y 100k. The Clean Air Act spells out exactly what components are covered.

I keep going back to knowledge and education about the systems being the problem.

if the design engineers don’t fully understand how these work. How can they teach the service depts? What did your salesman teach you about dealing with the emissions? I’m willing to bet not much more than “don’t run out of DEF or Diesel”

9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

If you have to pay, and it needs the turbo, ATS makes an upgrade that is a good choice. Jasper offers a reman that has a cleanout port and is already calibrated, so plug and play.

omatter34 likes this.
  10. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

True.

The delete actually helps with the VV turbo gumming up, common to all makes.

Beyond the turbo, you rarely see problem with a cummins before 500K.

11. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Please cite indisputable evidence. Please.

12. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Ok I can tell you for a fact that the 5 year 100k emission warranty was NOT indicated in the purchase of my truck. At. Fucking. All.

I submit to ignorance when it comes the Clean air Act and what is covered but, and i speculate, no oem will honor it without a fight, and thats most likely a court date, which is completely unreasonable.

13. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Where are you/

Not seeing this, haven`t heard of it.

14. baconologist

I may be mistaken on the 100k. I’m from the off highway world mostly with a short stint on highway.

look at the ram owners manual.
    https://www.dodge.com/crossbrand/warranty/pdf/2013_Ram_Truck_Dieslel_Warranty.pdf

a
    ll the OEM’s are more willing to comply after the VW kerflufdel.

15. baconologist

agreed
    The VV turbo isn’t a great solution to lag in a diesel. The soot and eventual coolant leaks can gum it ip quickly.

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

+1

Newer Kenworths a couple years back that have 2 exhaust pipes are only using 1 for actual motor exhaust. The other one is just for looks.

Most of the public is too stupid to notice this.

17. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I've had mine for 4.5 years (2015 3500 srw), bone stock with 35K miles. I can't remove any of the emissions stuff because of the annual inspection here. I'm also pretty sure that I'm all out of warranty as I did not add anything over whatever the basic was.

The truck was paid off last year and I've been making an effort not to go all aftermarket crazy and have avoided the Cummins forums for the most part. I don't have a good connection with a local diesel shop or a mechanic either and I only throw a wrench on the two-wheeled stuff.

I'd like to keep it for now but these threads pop up every now and again and I get a little paranoid although the truck has given me zero trouble so far.

18. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

It's happening all over. When I was at the dealer. They wanted the dealer to report and trucks(semis) that came in for work that had been deleted. Of course we didnt. But it was also stated we could be fined for working on deleted trucks.

cav115 likes this.
  19. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

what area are you seeing this?

20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

And then the EGR jams it back into the engine.