1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cummins Techs

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jan 9, 2020.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

My 2015 Ram 2500 w/ 6.7 Cummins threw a P003a code today. Quick search tells me that itthe Turbo charger is outside its parameters. Can anybody shed some more light on what I may be looking at? I have an appointment for Monday to take it to the dealership for diagnosis, but wondering if there is anything I can do in the interim or what I can expect from the dealer.

2. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Most likely a bad turbo actuator, it can also be a wiring issue but I would lean toward an actuator. If you know someone that has a quality diagnostic tool they should be able to perform an actuator test.

ducnut likes this.
  3. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

How many miles on it?

4. omatter34

5. omatter34

That's what the internet suggests also and the reason I am taking it to the dealer to diagnose.

6. Ya it’s one of the rare things I’d take it to a shop for, probably not the dealer “if” you have a good diesel place around. Those actuator need to be calibrated IIRC which you must have the proper tools to do.

7. omatter34

Yeah they do require calibrating. I have a shop that typically does all the work, but there are a couple small recall items that the dealer will take care of too while it's there. If I can just get them to give me a firm diagnosis, it'll probably end up at the diesel shop for the actual repair.

8. WTF did you ask for then :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup: Jk. I think you have a good plan. Will be money well spent just for lack of hassle alone.

9. omatter34

Lol...the beeb never fails to enlighten more than Google. I was hoping someone would say...do this or that to eliminate xyz or don't let the dealer tell you it's a turbo failure without asking Such and such. It is literally the first issue I have had with this truck since I bought it new 5 years ago, so I am a bit concerned about a worse case scenario, since it is the only diesel I have ever owned.

10. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Any decent scan tool should do the calibration, they just basically want the motor indexed to the turbo vane gear correctly, not a huge deal.

11. It’s one of the few that I highly doubt the bbs will have a better solution but at least it confirms you are on the right track though. Google doesn’t often answer back except for now you will get a bunch of adds for turbos

omatter34 likes this.
  12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Silly question but less than 100k and it not under warranty?

13. No it’s not, it’s a cheater Cummins motor. CR said so.

14. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Go here for some more information, there has been a few of these failures. https://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/4th-generation-ram-forum.172/
    Short story is Cummins re-manufactured and new units are available from Cummins dealers cheaper than through the OEM. And you can purchase and use AlfaOBD along with a good quality OBDII adapter (most recommend MX+) for not only code reading but it has the active diagnostics available to do the calibration required on the new actuator.

omatter34 likes this.
  15. omatter34

We will find out on Monday about warranty, but the truck is deleted, so not too hopeful there.

16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Should be under warranty still

omatter34 likes this.
  17. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Dont be surprised if dealer wont work on it being deleted. If you've done business with them before you will probably be ok.

omatter34 and tony 340 like this.
  18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Have your salesman give them a nudge

19. omatter34

Didn't buy the truck from that dealer but did buy 2 other vehicles from them. Hoping they will take all that in to account.

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  20. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

They can be hit with a pretty hefty fine for having a deleted vehicle in their shop. I too wouldn’t be surprised if they refuse to even diagnose it for you.