1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cummins Techs

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Jan 9, 2020.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Yep.

The Gob`s own site tells of ever improving air quality, been that way for many years.

2. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is available separately and that is what they quoted me for just the actuator.

3. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Sorry, meant aftermarket. Not positive.

I can check if you`d like.

You can get a Jasper plug and play for less than that, i think.

(turbo and actuator)

4. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Actually the jamming happens pre conditioning. :D

5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Off subject a bit:

I just had my first drive with a 08 F350 6.4 Diesel all stock with a stick. Moved a toyhauler from the high desert to Long Beach. When coming up long mountain grade pulls on the 210, it started loosing power and I had to downshift until I was only doing about 40mph. I also noticed a few times when I was pulling hard up the mountain and I went to downshift the clutch lever pedal didn't return back up. I used my toe to pull it back up.

On the 140ish mile drive to get the hauler, it didn't exhibit any of these traits. If I read the boost gauge correctly it goes from 0-4 and at the beginning of the trip without towing it was get to 3.5, if I was going fast or up a mountain grade. When it slowed way down on that super long pull it was in the middle at only 2. It was only in the 50's so no overheating. After getting on flat ground I ended up being in traffic a bunch and then later when hitting it, the boost was where I presume it should be, at 3.5 ish.

So.....does the F350 6.4 have some kind of overheating safety limp, or over boosting limp mode? I did push the button on the dash for checking systems and everything came up okay. Also noticed a couple times it said it was cleaning the filter, I've never owned a diesel with that option before. I did come to a stop where it said that, so I left it running for awhile, not sure if I needed to, but thought I read on here you have to leaving them running if they do a clean. This is a non-PDF truck as far as I know.

6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Those motors sucked also but not quite as bad as the 6.0
    They love to split radiators....and I'd rather have a DEF system than one of those all day.

The issue to me is your boost........those numbers are WAY low.

7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Huh? Def enhances performance?

Sounds like boost issues, Rob.

8. tony 340

Yes.

Careful standing by the exhaust pipe on those trucks......you'll get scorched

There is a whole seperate fuel line and ignitor running to the exhaust for high temp cleaning.

Mileage was shit from 08-13 '

9. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

How does the def enhance performance? I thought that was exclusively curbing emissions

And yea, my 5 inch exhaust is scorching my rear bumper...

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

an added injector is one method of achieving regen EGT’s. Others include moving one of the multiple injection events into the exhaust stroke. And a wackyer system had a jet style heater installed post turbo

11. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The saddest thing about these new diesels is the manufacturers had engines that would keep running unless you ran it out of fuel or had a catastrophic failure of hard parts. Now we have finicky pieces of crap that will leave you stranded with a perfectly operational vehicle that a computer decided to shut down because of a non critical sensor. We are transitioning back to gas engines for our work vehicles because the diesels perform so poorly in the cold.

Boman Forklift, Knotcher and 418 like this.
  12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

And guess what...the military get’s an exemption from the EPA reg’s

13. tony 340

As they should.

Last thing you need in a desert firefight is your Stryker to go into limp mode and do a regen.

crashman likes this.
  14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:stupid: The last things soldiers need is a known failure mode designed in to their vehicles.

Wheel Bearing, tony 340 and Knotcher like this.
  15. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

All of these are reasons why I'll keep my deleted '11 6.7 for a while longer. (It's offroad only, EPA)

16. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well the "def" systems are really called SCR. SCR helps or totally eliminates the use of the EGR system. EGR routes ehaust gasses back into the intake to dilute the air charge and reduce cylinder temps, and reducing NOx. Since SCR is a post treatment the engine can run as intended and the SCR will take care of the NOx instead of the trying to mitigate it all in the engine. DPF is another system on the exhaust that collects and burns the soot off in a regeneration, what some of these guys are confusing with SCR.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm not in the vechicle now, but should have noted the gauge only reads up to 4 and I think it says x10. I've only driven it on that trip I dont know the normal range, figured someone on here may have one.

Now that I'm thinking about it it's probably registering in PSI which means 20 to 40 lbs which would be high on a gas engine but for a diesel they can handle the extra pressure I presume.

Anyway unless someone had this same 6.4 then it's just a guess like I'm already doing.

18. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I'm betting that you spun the clutch under full engagement.
    I put an Edge in my dually, way back when. Had to test it out of course. Driving home from work, running ~60mph in 6th, dialed it up to #5 and hammered it. Revs jumped a little and it took off really well. When I take my exit, I push in the clutch, downshift, and the clutch stayed near the floor. Lifted it with my toe, pushed it in, lifted it up, repeat a few times in total. Tried it again the next day and the same thing happened. Shortly after, it developed a vibration. Turned out that the dual mass flywheel was damaged and this was probably due to spinning the clutch up. New clutch and flywheel, and never dialed up the Edge that high again.

19. tony 340

3.5 would be normal then in that case

@CB.....best to leave these newer pickups alone

They make so soooooo much power bone stock.........when you try to tune them you are going to push something past its me mechanical limits.

cav115 likes this.
  20. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Rob ,you talked about going over the mountains.
    What was your elevation?