1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Generations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I agree on not wanting to convert a pristine 05. Regarding 04 vs. 05, just going off what I read, which is why I referenced someone who raced them. Hopefully you like the 10 and don't have to make that decision.:beer:

2. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

I appreciate that! I'm fighting that weird feeling like "oh you shouldn't have done this..." but I am hoping it's just my second-guessing nature. It needs a little cosmetic TLC but that's my wheelhouse, and I can chip away at that little by little. I'm hoping I got into something that is sound and has a solid foundation I can build from for a couple years.

3. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

Has anyone found adapters to make the old wheels work with the 2017+ bike?

4. Night_King

Night_King Well-Known Member

Sorry to bring this back from the dead... but I’ve been shopping for my first track bike and have been offered a few different R6’s.

Two I’m considering- one being an ‘05 and another being an ‘08.

I’m still waiting to get the details on what all the ‘05 has on it but, from what I can tell it seems to be in better shape of the two. The gentleman that owns it works for Yamaha our here in CA. From the pics I can see it has a quick shifter, rear sets, steering stabilizer, and aftermarket rear shock.

The ‘08 has a power commander, woodcraft rear sets, quick shifter and woodcraft case sliders.

The ‘05 is $3000 the ‘08 is $3500...

With price being relatively the same and as a novice track rider - do you go for the nicer older machine or the newer easier to find parts and not be scared to drop it machine...

I’m torn gents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Trackdays, not racing? I'd go for lower cost in nicer shape for sure. Parts are not hard to find for the 2nd gen.

Night_King and RRP like this.
  6. Night_King

Yeah, I don’t have any plans to race at the moment. Just ride, look cool in photos and not beat on my street bike too much, lol.

Maybe in a year or so I’ll look at club racing when I have more experience track riding.

7. JBarx

So I have an '05 and a '10... and the '10 is definitely the better track weapon with a higher ceiling. @MELK-MAN will tell you that it's easier to go fast sooner on the 2nd Gen... but the 3rd Gen is the better tool for the job. I totally concur. Even then, for me, it was easy to get up to speed on the 2010. There are still a lot of parts for 2nd Gens, so you're fine either way. If it were me I'd buy the 2008 because it's such a familiar platform and if you need something trackside, someone will almost certainly have it. Your mileage may vary.

MELK-MAN and Night_King like this.
  8. Night_King

Thanks for the feed back JBarx

I’m thinking I may go with the ‘05. Honestly, I’m pushing 40 and I know I won’t out ride either of these bikes for quite some time and the money saved buying the cheaper bike I can use towards tires and track time. But then the racer in me wants the better tool for the job, so to speak. Lol (I’m an ex-stock car guy)

My first bike ever was an ‘04 R6 so there’s a bit of nostalgia there.

Back and forth, back and forth

9. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

the 05 will be like jumping back on your 04, but with better brakes. the cast brembo master cyl is nice, as are the larger rotors that were used from 05 all the way to 2016. (2017 went even bigger).
    Either bike will be fine, but if the 05 is in better condition for nearly same cash, tough to not get the 05. And for track duty or street use, it's a good bike. Strong midrange power. Same power midrange as the 3rd gen bikes.

Night_King likes this.
  10. JBarx

Melka is way more educated on these Yamahas than I'll ever be, so when in doubt, listen to him. My experience is anecdotal.

I'm 42 and racing the 2010. I love my 2005 and it's perfect for street and trackday duty but the 2010 is a damned missile when you dial it in. I also liked the 2005 better than the 2004 (had one of those once as well). If you feel comfortable on that chassis, then go for it. You're not going to go terribly wrong either way.

11. Night_King

I appreciate the feed back MELK-MAN. I had a feeling it would fit my needs. Just nice to have some guys with more experience in the matter give out opinions.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  12. Night_King

That damned missile is what I’m afraid of, lol. My buddy is trying hard to get my on the ‘08. I think you’re right that either way I go I’ll be happy. Good news is I can always sell one and get another

MELK-MAN and JBarx like this.
  13. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

The 05 is more forgiving as your are increasing your skills. The 08 has the potential to be faster, but punishes you more when you make a mistake.

14. Night_King

Thanks for the input Emry. I’m trying to buy the ‘05 but the guy won’t get back to me now. So I’m going to go look at the ‘08 this morning. I was also offered an ‘04 CBR 600 rr for $3000 that’s about everything race oriented you need, even traction control. I may look at that one too

15. Night_King

Well that ‘05 R6 I was looking at has over 20,000 original miles on it. Think I’m just going to keep looking and maybe spend a little more than I hoped.

16. JBarx

Mine's got almost 30k. I wouldn't think twice about, myself. Maybe invest a few hundred in a valve adjustment if it hasn't been done.

17. Night_King

How many miles did you buy it with?

18. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

20,000 miles.. You do realize that's only like 4 oil changes, and it's not even due for it's first valve clearance check. (26,000 miles manual states to check valve clearance) LOL

Night_King and emry like this.
  20. Night_King

It just sounds like a lot of abuse in my mind, lol. Not knowing who had this thing or the history of it.

I don't know what the hell to do... I think I'm over thinking this

here is a pic of it.

Attached Files: