1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R6 Generations

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kurlon, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I was expecting to be in the 370lb range?

baconologist likes this.
  2. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

What lighter / newer wheel options are there? I have a 99, are the 08+ wheel significantly lighter to make it worth making spacers? any other OEM wheel to look at? Aftermarket CF and Mag are way out of the budget.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Going to lighter wheels, even if OEM from another year usually punts you out of supersport I thought?

That said, I'm running an 3rd gen R6 front wheel on my FZR and it was just a matter of spacers so I wouldn't be surprised if the same applied to your 99.

4. baconologist

mines SB already
    I was asking about SS weight, because that's a more stable base line to judge from.

5. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Rotor spacing is slightly different from the 99-02 3 spoke wheels to the 03-up. Just something to keep in mind if you make the switch.
    I don't remember the newer wheels being significantly lighter, but I used that as my excuse for doing the swap..

6. baconologist

thanks! just found your post from '08

7. baconologist

Guru's
    What the difference in the 99-05 and 06+ Yoyo slippers?

8. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Different primary ratio and almost everything else.

9. baconologist

adaptable under SB rules?

10. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Anything is adaptable with enough machine shop time.

11. baconologist

really....who'd have ever guessed that :rolleyes:

anyone have a .dwg or .sdw for the R6 clutches of various generation?

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I thought there was another thread recently that covered swapping clutches between between 2nd and 3rd gen machines, but I don't recall the exact combo of parts required off the top of my head?

13. baconologist

is there a 300mm OD rotor available off the shelf, that has the 03+ 5 bolt circle?

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Lots of them.

Goldfren - 603-006F
    EBC - MD2082X, MD2082XC, VR2082BLK
    OEM - 5SL-2581T-00-00 ($220 a pop, new?)
    Braking - WK046L/WK046R, STX46
    Brembo - 208.9737.19, 78.B408.31
    etc, etc...

Pretty much anyone that makes an R6 rotor likely has a 300mm option. I'm rocking the Goldfrens on my R6 front wheel equipped FZR and like that they have buttons you can take apart.

15. baconologist

16. David.B.

David.B. Active Member

Hey Nemesis - old thread I know, but damn, that bike looks sooooo sweet. :clap:

Could you please educate me a little bit on what springs and valves have you put in it? What other "some minor adjustments to the geometry" have you done?

Also, what bodywork and other mods does it have? I'm just trying to prep my stock 04 R6 and having a model bike sure helps. :D :beer:

Thanks!:)

Edit: OP, sorry if it's off-topic, but perhaps someone else can benefit from this too.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  17. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

I'm a bigger feller (close 225-230 lbs geared up), so I have 1.0 springs up front with the Ohlins 20mm FPK (fork piston kit). Thermosman (Mike Fitzgerard) did the install and used 7.5W Ohlins fork oil set to 120mm and 5 degree compression needles. Rear shock is a standard Ohlins 46PRXLS w/ a 105 rear spring.

When I say "minor adjustments," I just typically referring to ride height adjustments to compensate for things like using a 70-series front tire (stock tire on this bike was a 60 series) and a much larger rear. I'm usually running the Dunlop USA slicks (KR449 or KR451).

I'd have to get my notes out to get some exact measurements on things like ride height (fork measurements and shock eye-to-eye measurements and such), but I pretty much went with the recommended settings from T-Man and then tuned them to my tastes.

Otherwise, the bike just has Sharkskinz bodywork, a shortened Yoshimura slip-on exhaust, Power Commander 3 USB and a stock-gearing (16/48, I think) 520 chain setup. I've since added a quickshifter and Vortex rearsets since that pic was taken.

It's not the most trick bike out there, but feels like a perfectly worn in pair of blue jeans.......perfectly predictable, rock stable, and very precise.

David.B. likes this.
  18. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

9 pages in, I don't think I'm allowed to get upset over a thread jack at this point on this forum, especially one that is still basically on topic. :D

David.B. likes this.
  19. David.B.

David.B. Active Member

Awesome, thanks for the info, very helpful. :)

That is exactly what I'm trying to achieve in mine too.

That's what I thought too. :D

20. Jaketheone46

Jaketheone46 Well-Known Member

Looking to buy the wife a r3 and was wandering if a r6 might even be better. I need to be schooled more on these r6 though. I’m not understanding the difference with the r6s and whatever others ther are. Seems like I seen a post that said the s model was the California version while another post said the s model was the one to have??? Ain’t the California bikes usually restricted more in some way or another?? I’m wanting her a fuel injected model which I’m thinking probably came in 03 being the r1 got it in 02. Plus I’m wanting radial mounted front brakes/upside down forks. When did this come along?? 03/05 ish??? Is the 03 and 05 the same generation??